The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Stxi Wtf?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2011, 09:06 AM
Vice Admiral

TAS is now on Netflix! Yay!!!!
Old 09-05-2011, 10:16 AM
Fleet Admiral

I loved the Animated Series. Now, if only Paramount would consider them canon, we'd have 5 seasons of TOS Trek, instead of 3.

Old 09-05-2011, 03:28 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
I loved the Animated Series. Now, if only Paramount would consider them canon, we'd have 5 seasons of TOS Trek, instead of 3.
Seriously! I agree totally! TAS was awesome. I've got the whole series on DVD, but now I can watch them on Netflix anytime. It's awesome. My son loves it too. So we watch it together a lot.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:24 PM
Fleet Admiral

Dude, you and Saquist oughtta go over to the Off-Topic Section, and check out the two latest ships I built....the Classic Enterprise, and the TOS styled Federation-class Dreadnaught (variant) based on Franz Joseph's Star Trek Technical Manual. Both of them look almost as if they'd belong in the Animated Series. I'm building and animating them for a friend who is working on his own Star Trek fanfilm series....somewhat based on StarFleet Battles.

Old 09-05-2011, 06:54 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I have Metropolis and Forbidden Planet on DVD. Metropolis is definitely worth a watch, it's very interesting to see a 1920s German interpretation of the future. Forbidden Planet is also a good watch; Leslie Nielsen sure was a stout lad, wasn't he?

I also agree that TAS was a deserving series, a pity it was treated so shabbily. I rather wonder why they don't do another animated series in 3D based on the original cast of characters, but I guess they have bigger fish to fry with getting the reboot to take off. Maybe a 3d series based on the rebooted Trek... Well, I don't make those decisions.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:54 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianrosey View Post

I also agree that TAS was a deserving series, a pity it was treated so shabbily. I rather wonder why they don't do another animated series in 3D based on the original cast of characters, but I guess they have bigger fish to fry with getting the reboot to take off. Maybe a 3d series based on the rebooted Trek... Well, I don't make those decisions.
I could seriously go for a TOS animated series...(again) and as you suggest 3D, might I suggest a similar animation treatment that was used in SW-The Clone Wars animated series, though leave the SW to SW and Trek to Trek...lol
Heck, even some of the computer FX on Futurerama had their moments and looked pretty good.......in their 3D-like effects.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:45 AM
Fleet Admiral

I could go for a 2D cel or 3D CG animated series of Trek in any incarnation (TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT, reboot).

You know what would be perfect....an animated series for a show that has always been pitched, but never acted upon.....Star Trek: Excelsior. (The Adventures of Captain Sulu)!

Old 09-06-2011, 07:48 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
Seriously! I agree totally! TAS was awesome. I've got the whole series on DVD, but now I can watch them on Netflix anytime. It's awesome. My son loves it too. So we watch it together a lot.
The content of the show was actually pretty cutting edge for its time too. Some of the dialogue and subject matter was rather geared for older folks, on Saturday morning, when more cutesy cartoons reigned supreme in that time slot.

An interesting tale about the coming of TAS into existence. At first, Paramount only wanted select actors to return for voice roles. These actors included William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, De Kelley, James Doohan, and Majel Barrett. Doohan and Barrett would've done (in addition to their own character voices of Scotty and Chapel) the voices of Sulu, Chekov, and Uhura. Nimoy was NOT happy with this. Being the actor's actor, he told Paramount, if you do not bring back the cast intact for this, consider me out of the project.

Paramount relented. The only actor unable to return, due to his own projects, was Walter Koenig. However, he did manage to write an episode for the Animated Series, and it was one of the best reviewed episodes in that series' catalog. To fill in for Chekov, they wrote up the alien character who took over the navigator spot.

Given the circumstances regarding Koenig, this was satisfactory enough for Nimoy to continue with the project.

Last edited by martok2112 : 09-06-2011 at 07:54 AM.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:13 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

ST Excelsior would also be a good idea for an animated series. I wish they'd done that for a live action series instead of DS9, to be honest. The Clone Wars style of 3D would be a good idea for sure. I'd even like the animated approach used by Mainframe Entertainment for the MTV Spiderman series; not as organic looking but still pretty slick and appealing. Futurama had some good 3D but I'd hope a Trek animated series would not go that particular route, haha!

Nimoy showed some loyalty and chutzpah when it came to TAS, martok, very cool of him. Chekov's replacement was a three-armed, three-legged Edosian named Arex. He looks like the design foundation for Species 90210 (8472, actually, but I jest with you), a malevolent Clive Barker interpretation of the affable cartoon character.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:28 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianrosey View Post
Chekov's replacement was a three-armed, three-legged Edosian named Arex. He looks like the design foundation for Species 90210 (8472, actually, but I jest with you), a malevolent Clive Barker interpretation of the affable cartoon character.
LMAO! I can totally see this now that you've pointed it out.
Maybe Species 90210-8472 was once a friendly race that had good relations with the Feds, until that one fateful day....when...as a practical joke, a couple of fellow officers decided to stitch up the third pant leg hole on Arex's duty trousers. The poor officer stumbled forth, crushing his own skull on a bulkhead, resulting in a fatality...the two practical jokers were booted from StarFleet for causing an intergalactic incident which broke down relations between the Feds and the newly annointed Species 8472.