The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Stxi Wtf?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2011, 06:58 PM
Fleet Admiral

2001 was very influential on a lot of sci-fi movies, as indeed was Forbidden Planet before it.

2001 had a stylistic visual approach that was emulated by the likes of ALIEN, Space: 1999, Star Wars, TRON LEGACY....amazing how far its influence reaches, well after its release decades ago.

Old 09-03-2011, 11:31 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
1968, thats amazing!!
If you haven't, go see it Saq. And if you can see it in bluray, it's one of the few films truly worth it. It's slow, it is slow. I just watched it with a friend and he checked his watch throughout but it's a must see, at least once. And Martok is spot on, 2001 and 2010 back to back look like they were shot a year apart. It is truly amazing considering 2010 was released in 1984. Luckily Keir Dullea, the one actor from 2001 that appears in 2010 aged well. Roy Schieder and Helen Mirren were really good in 2010 as well.

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 09-03-2011, 11:41 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingston View Post
If you haven't, go see it Saq. And if you can see it in bluray, it's one of the few films truly worth it. It's slow, it is slow. I just watched it with a friend and he checked his watch throughout but it's a must see, at least once. And Martok is spot on, 2001 and 2010 back to back look like they were shot a year apart. It is truly amazing considering 2010 was released in 1984. Luckily Keir Dullea, the one actor from 2001 that appears in 2010 aged well. Roy Schieder and Helen Mirren were really good in 2010 as well.
I also thought the Russian chick that took shelter with Dr. Floyd during the ballute sequence was cute.

Yeah, 2001 is very slow, but still, quite a visual feast. It was seriously panned back in '68, largely because of its ending, but over time has become a major classic.

Also, listen to the original music of 2001 during a couple of sequences.....you'll hear those exact themes in a movie that came much later....ALIENS.

Yeah, Keir aged well in that movie...of course, it was shot only 15 years after 2001. He's definitely aged a lot now, but he is one cool cat. Got to meet him years ago at a sci-fi con. Very down to earth guy.

Some trivia: The Discovery had to be completely rebuilt for 2010. There were no reference materials to go by either. They were all destroyed after the 2001 movie, for fear that someone else might use the plans to build a similar ship for their sci-fi movies. When the Discovery was reconstructed, they had only one source to turn to....the movie itself.

Last edited by martok2112 : 09-03-2011 at 11:45 PM.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:21 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwiseb View Post
The room also heavily inspired Dr Manhattan's living space in Watchmen.
I never thought of that until it was mentioned there, but thinking about it, yeah.............that tracks. If I recall Tron: Legacy then I guess that also does track too. But I'm not a fan of Tron: Legacy so it's only a vague recollection from watching the Blu-ray on rental.

I also got a 2001 vibe out of the vault medical room Pete Postlethwaite was in at the end of Inception as well.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 09-04-2011, 03:34 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
2001 was very influential on a lot of sci-fi movies, as indeed was Forbidden Planet before it.

2001 had a stylistic visual approach that was emulated by the likes of ALIEN, Space: 1999, Star Wars, TRON LEGACY....amazing how far its influence reaches, well after its release decades ago.
It's so true...that's what's so amazing...I thought 2001 was a late 70's film because people said it influenced The Motion Picture...but this film came out two years AFTER Star Trek aired on TV for the first time!!!!

LOOK at the two...they don't look like they are any where CLOSE tot he same time period.

Quote:

I've seen...and READ both...
I was more impressed with the books than the videos but 2010 was much closer to it's book...Both...were more profound than anything I've seen on screen for Star Trek....

Old 09-04-2011, 03:38 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
LOOK at the two...they don't look like they are any where CLOSE tot he same time period.
Of course they don't.................Star Trek didn't have a $10.5 million budget per episode in 1967/68.

It probably didn't even have anywhere near that for even an entire season.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 09-04-2011, 10:35 AM
Admiral

Quote:
It's so true...that's what's so amazing...I thought 2001 was a late 70's film because people said it influenced The Motion Picture...but this film came out two years AFTER Star Trek aired on TV for the first time!!!!

I've seen...and READ both...
I was more impressed with the books than the videos but 2010 was much closer to it's book...Both...were more profound than anything I've seen on screen for Star Trek....
Yeah, 2001 Clarke wrote after his collaboration with Kubrick on the movie. If I remember right he did change quite a bit, for instance they went to Saturn instead of Jupiter. Can't remember if it was still Saturn in the book 2010 though. I've gotta read those again. It's been awhile. 2061 and 3001 are interesting too but I didn't really like the direction Clarke took the whole concept after 2010.

Quote:
Yeah and the actor Gary Lockwood was working on both 2001 and the Star Trek pilot nearly simultaneously. 2001 started shooting back in 1966, maybe '65, can't remember.

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"

Last edited by Livingston : 09-04-2011 at 10:40 AM.
Old 09-04-2011, 04:30 PM
Vice Admiral

I just watched 2001 again on Netflix today. It's one of my favorite movies. It's too bad Netflix doesn't have Forbidden Planet on demand yet. But I can watch it on DVD.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:09 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
I just watched 2001 again on Netflix today. It's one of my favorite movies. It's too bad Netflix doesn't have Forbidden Planet on demand yet. But I can watch it on DVD.
Two science fiction greats.
I've also been considering getting Metropolis (I think that's what it's called)....the 1920's black and white silent sci-fi film.

Old 09-04-2011, 10:59 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Yeah, 2001 Clarke wrote after his collaboration with Kubrick on the movie. If I remember right he did change quite a bit, for instance they went to Saturn instead of Jupiter. Can't remember if it was still Saturn in the book 2010 though. I've gotta read those again. It's been awhile. 2061 and 3001 are interesting too but I didn't really like the direction Clarke took the whole concept after 2010.

Yeah and the actor Gary Lockwood was working on both 2001 and the Star Trek pilot nearly simultaneously. 2001 started shooting back in 1966, maybe '65, can't remember.

I don't remember Saturn in the Book but Jupiter.