The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > The "Red Matter" and Drilling
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2011, 05:04 PM
Commander

Default The "Red Matter" and Drilling

What was the purpose of drilling a hole into a planet (Vulcan) to drop the Red Matter into, when all they really needed to do was, for example, beam it down or drop it down as shown, in it's transfer container and then just have it break open by remote? At that distance, it would still destroy the planet. I mean...it IS creating a "Black Hole" isn't it? Planet would still be toast.....

PS: Yes I realize that's the direction the writing took it...Drama, Drama, Drama,...but still.......
Old 08-24-2011, 05:39 PM
Admiral

Ah… another plot device… pure and simple… a big drill is far more visually exciting… not to mention a fight sequence many miles up with impending death at every sword strike.

Also… why the hell did anyone have to be on the drill head at all… just to relight the pilot light if it went out?

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 08-24-2011, 08:35 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futureguy View Post
What was the purpose of drilling a hole into a planet (Vulcan) to drop the Red Matter into, when all they really needed to do was, for example, beam it down or drop it down as shown, in it's transfer container and then just have it break open by remote? At that distance, it would still destroy the planet. I mean...it IS creating a "Black Hole" isn't it? Planet would still be toast.....

PS: Yes I realize that's the direction the writing took it...Drama, Drama, Drama,...but still.......
Nothing in the movie made any sense any way.
But I forgot about that one too.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:15 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

There was a lot of contrivance in this movie, but at least this movie was largely without pretense and fun to watch.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:56 AM
Fleet Admiral

First, you can't beam through tens of thousands of miles of solid stuff and second, it is obviously dramatically necessary that the Narada does remains in orbit for a while and not merely drops by, blows up the planet and heads off.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:03 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianrosey View Post
There was a lot of contrivance in this movie, but at least this movie was largely without pretense and fun to watch.

That's why I have a hard time hating it....
It was at least fun.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:27 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
First, you can't beam through tens of thousands of miles of solid stuff and second, it is obviously dramatically necessary that the Narada does remains in orbit for a while and not merely drops by, blows up the planet and heads off.
Oops, should have structured my sentence to read "beam it down to the surface" and remote detonate...lol They could have done the sam by just leaving it, the drop container in orbit, leave, wait for Star Fleet to arrive, detonate and take care of both Vulcan and SF at the same time. I'm surprised Nero just did not implode their sun with it and take out the whole system...
If he had just taken just the time to implode Earth's sun.....same thing would have happened.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:42 AM
Lieutenant

Cause they needed the magma to somehow ignite the Red Matter (From what I remember). Then again, they could of had a detonation device attached to the canister, drop it down, and at a certain altitude, the canister detonates, and the Black hole is formed, sucking the planet up.

GREAT SCOTT!!! ANOTHER FRIEND OF ZARDOZ!

Old 08-25-2011, 05:04 AM
Federation Councillor

If I recall, imploding the respective suns into a Black Hole of the Red Matter's creation (remember folks, Red Matter doesn't create a supernove, it creates an artificial Black Hole) would not take quick care of either Vulcan or Earth.

It would plunge them into cold and darkness but folks wouldn't die instantly and the planets would physically remain.

I suppose he could have just dropped it onto the surface of Vulcan and the same job would have been done..................but that's pretty dull.

It's kinda like wondering why the Borg thought going all the way back in time was easier than just flooding Federation space with dozens of cubes simultaneously (which is what I would have done if I was the Borg Queen).............it's a thread you can pick at, but do you really want to start picking? Because then you just realise how fast the whole thing always unravels in Trek.

courtesy of Saquist