The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Related Post Concerning the Nexus
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2011, 01:45 PM
Commander

Default Related Post Concerning the Nexus

If I understand (and remember) correctly, the ships that the Enterprise B were trying to rescue were loaded with refugees, one of them being Guinan. Wasn't Guinan's home planet attacked by the Borg? Seems I remember hearing her say that at one point.
Anyway I digress.......Could she have been, along with all the other passengers on the ships, refugees from the Borg attack? Would fit together pretty well and if they were refugees from the Borg, I would have been especially interested in information about the Borg, as at the time period of the start of the movie, the Borg had apparently not even been heard of by the Federation. Did the Federation/Starfleet ignore investigating both the Nexus and the Borg? They must have had selective interests at the time...
Old 08-10-2011, 02:24 PM
Admiral

They must have had selective interests at the time...

Apparently.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 08-10-2011, 10:41 PM
Federation Councillor

Yes, they were all likely refugees from the same place.

Yes, it's a huge logic flaw in the timeline that Generations drives through the Borg and Guinan.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 08-11-2011, 12:19 AM
Fleet Admiral

Remember, Soran was a Borg refugee also, being the same race as Guinan. I would posit that the refugees on the ships were indeed driven from Borg attacks. It would also conveniently hold in line with a series that didn't come along until several years later (that being Enterprise) since Borg were shown (but not named) in an episode of that series.....meaning that the Borg have been to the Alpha Quadrant two or three times before the Enterprise D was introduced to them in her time.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:22 AM
Fleet Admiral

Sure, the Borg thing seems questionable. But it's not like the Federation was particularly familiar with the El-Aurians so perhaps they have traveled far or they reached Federation space somewhere in the Beta Quadrant, near Klingon and Romulan space. Wasn't there something about the first Borg attacks happening in Romulan space in early TNG?
Old 08-11-2011, 07:00 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
Remember, Soran was a Borg refugee also, being the same race as Guinan. I would posit that the refugees on the ships were indeed driven from Borg attacks. It would also conveniently hold in line with a series that didn't come along until several years later (that being Enterprise) since Borg were shown (but not named) in an episode of that series.....meaning that the Borg have been to the Alpha Quadrant two or three times before the Enterprise D was introduced to them in her time.
I don't have any way to make sure, but I thought that there was some reference (TNG) to outposts being utterly destroyed and it never being determined, in episode, who or what did it. Early indication, but not naming of the Borg? At that time the Borg had not been encountered by the "D".

But that brings me back to Generations...and Enterprise. Keeping on a continuity, the NX Enterprise having encountered the Borg, though not knowing them by name or full background, had enough information, to report back to Starfleet, of a "species" of cyber-beings that can quickly overcome lifeforms and use and greatly modify any technology found: A fairly frightening report to make.
Go forward to Generations and survivors of an attack by cyber-beings are rescued by the "B" and apparently no one bothers to question them (much) or place any importance as to why they happened to be refugees, let alone Starfleet investigating the Nexus.
Forward again...The "D" is swept to a distant point, only to encounter the Borg and there not be any past records of similarly aggressive cyber-beings.
I know that some of the continuity was due to the scripts being written by different people over several years and a backstory or introduction to the Borg say from a continuity starting with Enterprise NX on would have been potentially troublesome due to the fact that, from TNG viewpoint, the stories were written in reverse order...being the Borg were introduced in TNG, then First Contact, then Enterprise. But by just having a thread of familiarity to those reports, the Borg should have been eventually expected to drop in and preparations...at least strategic and historical information on them should have been in the data banks. The Nexus must have altered or affected perceived history, somehow wiping out any knowledge of the Borg up to the point of "discovering" the Nexus. Somebody unknown been messing around in the Nexus?
Old 08-11-2011, 07:59 AM
Fleet Admiral

Horatio, Futureguy, you're both correct. I believe that it was the first season's finale of TNG where the Enterprise D encountered the Romulans...the first contact with the Romulans in over 80 years if I recall correctly. The Romulans revealed that several of their cities and or bases along the Neutral Zone and within Romulan territory were completely wiped off the planet by forces unknown. (The description given suggested Borg methodology, as we would come to know it later.)

And I love it when the Rommies conclude the meeting with: "We are back!"

Even though the fact that the Federation had encounted tthe Borg on Earth during Archer's time seems to have gotten lost over the years since, making the Enterprise D's encounter with them in the Delta Quadrant seem like the first, I thought it was a rather careful touch the writers of Enterprise took with not giving the Borg a name, and keeping much of the actual first encounter rather vague. A rather tricky move, since we (the audience) already knew so much about them. Given the wavy history from TNG to Generations regarding the Borg, I thought the writer's of Enterprise did a pretty decent job in introducing the Borg in their show. At least they kept it to one singular episode, and didn't try to overuse the Borg, which would've completely destroyed their credibility as an enemy race.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:19 AM
Commander

And I love it when the Rommies conclude the meeting with: "We are back!"

Even though the fact that the Federation had encounted tthe Borg on Earth during Archer's time seems to have gotten lost over the years since, making the Enterprise D's encounter with them in the Delta Quadrant seem like the first, I thought it was a rather careful touch the writers of Enterprise took with not giving the Borg a name, and keeping much of the actual first encounter rather vague. A rather tricky move, since we (the audience) already knew so much about them. Given the wavy history from TNG to Generations regarding the Borg, I thought the writer's of Enterprise did a pretty decent job in introducing the Borg in their show. At least they kept it to one singular episode, and didn't try to overuse the Borg, which would've completely destroyed their credibility as an enemy race.[/quote]

Sooooo...I wonder if all of the Borg technology at the pole was ever uncovered? Were all of the Borg recovered? Surely there would have been pieces of the Borg craft and or Borgs themselves still left over there?

Granted this nu-Trek Universe paralleled the prime until Nero's appearance, then there could still be some minor, though possible Borg threat, to this universe, by means of the NX and events surrounding her and crew had stayed intact. I'm not particularity advocating bringing back the Borg for a movie, just asking if anyone thought they could still be a credible threat to this new timeline. Things and events have changed here, but only from the time of the Kelvin on...
Then again...since the "present" time line has changed, the future's also will, so the "D" might not even have the same series of events and the Borg might not ever travel back to Earth's past as a result. I'm getting another headache...lol Better leave this one as is.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:29 AM
Fleet Admiral

Take two Tylenol, and call me when you start sprouting Borg appendages.