The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Deadline essentially confirms Abrams will direct Trek sequel.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2011, 01:08 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jla1987 View Post
but damn...there are plenty of unhappy Trekkies.
If there's ever a day there's not unhappy Trekkies somewhere in the world..............I'll be able to look up into the sky and see pigs flying freely.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 07-29-2011, 01:11 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwiseb View Post
Same here.
Ack...............what the hey.............I'll third it.

Although I do agree with Saq's basic observation that time can change a perception of films in the eyes of the beholder. I can't list all the films I've not liked at the start and come to really like (and love) and films I've liked and loved at the start and over the years waned on.

Just now my opinion on the film is 99% what it was then............but in three, five.........ten years........it could well be different.

I'll allow that possibility.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 07-30-2011, 03:27 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jla1987 View Post
Based on the Trekmovie.com comments, more people want the movie in 2012 and are pissed that this team has taken so long to make it. I don't quite fall into that camp, but damn...there are plenty of unhappy Trekkies.

Speaking of the first film, I tried watching it the other day and (sadly) had to admit it comes across a bit lacking in depth. At least, that's the only way I can describe my feelings. Might be that the excitement has finally wore off or that I'm just now admitting that the movie is almost too fast-paced. Hopefully, JJ can slow things down this time and give us more story and less 'splosions. At this point, I just hope that it doesn't suck whenever it releases.
Well, it's a fine movie but it isn't one for the ages. As Abrams has worked together with Spielberg, somebody who also makes shallow movies but shallow movies that become classics, your hope might get fulfilled.
I personally view the studio's agenda, the success of the first movie and the writers as factors that speak against the second movie being more "meaty" and less "sugary".

Last edited by horatio : 07-30-2011 at 03:31 AM.
Old 07-30-2011, 04:53 AM
Federation Councillor

From my perspective, looking at these more recent developments, it's clear to me that Paramount seems to be playing a different game with the Star Trek sequel than it has with it's other properties, both past and present, including Trek previously as well - by which I refer to TMP being rushed out in 1979.

Paramount is NOT rushing this film. Not if we're talking probably 2013 now.

And if they really wanted to then they could. The first thing that can be jettisoned in ANY sequel is the writers. The director can even be replaced with relative ease IF a studio wants to get moving quickly with a sequel to a successful film'. And let's remember they staked out the June 29th 2012 date over 18 months ago, but instead they have not forced or made Abrams/the writers do the sequel 'today.

They (the studio) have sat and waited while Abrams went off and spent a year making Super 8. They've let the writers work on some other projects as well. And now, when Abrams now comes in and says essentially 'I'll do it for you...............but I'm not going to do it to the date you (the studio) wants it done for, I'll do it my schedule and my ideas, and if that's late 2012 or 2013 then that's when I'll have it ready', they essentially say 'OK' to him.

If they really just wanted the sequel out to make a cash grab, they could have had it in cinemas this summer by dumping everyone attached to the first and hiring an all-new crew and started production 6 months after the first film came out.

Now, it in part demonstrates the influence Abrams visibly has with Paramount (deservedly or not, he clearly has it, and there are not a lot of directors out there who can tell a studio when they will make one of their next BIG films, even Michael Bay HAD to make Transformers 2 to a Paramount release date deadline, and he has been far more commercially successful than Abrams has been) but to me it also indicates they don't want this particular sequel to be a rush job and to be made in a way that perhaps threatens the final product.

They are taking their time now. This obviously does not mean the sequel WILL be better, but the approach is clearly one of patience and an attempt to do it properly, whenever it arrives.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 08-01-2011, 11:51 AM
Commander

An approach I think will work better then rushing it and getting new people onboard for the sake of speed... I have to say I'm cautiously optimistic that something good will come out of it.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:08 AM
Fleet Admiral

I have no optimism for the new film.
I made that mistake for the last and I was so enthused only to be let down by a Transformers version of Trek. And while that has so good points I can't pretend that it's not a major let down for me.