The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Michael Bay’s Letter to Projectionists: Transformers 3
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2011, 01:59 PM
Admiral

Default Michael Bay’s Letter to Projectionists: Transformers 3

http://thepeoplesmovies.com/2011/06/...ransformers-3/

Have to say I won't watch a 3D movie with special glasses ever or dark out of focus 2D ones. I also hate when the lights are left on accidentally…!

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 07-02-2011, 02:14 AM
Federation Councillor

I went to see it 2D anyway..............I saw the first two that way and saw no reason to see the third.

Not that I mind 3D, I just rarely imagine a film to be worth the extra cost.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 07-03-2011, 03:18 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
I went to see it 2D anyway..............I saw the first two that way and saw no reason to see the third.

Not that I mind 3D, I just rarely imagine a film to be worth the extra cost.
So here's what I consider the most important question regarding this movie: Does Trans3 afford you the option of ignoring that Trans2 ever happened? Is it free of any "Oh no, because remember when...?" moments?

Second most important question: In general, was it two-and-a-half hours well spent out of your life?

Old 07-03-2011, 03:52 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwiseb View Post
So here's what I consider the most important question regarding this movie: Does Trans3 afford you the option of ignoring that Trans2 ever happened? Is it free of any "Oh no, because remember when...?" moments?

Second most important question: In general, was it two-and-a-half hours well spent out of your life?
Lemme see -

1 - I do believe you could go and see it without having seen (or be choosing to ignore) the second one. You might wonder little things like why Megatron is disfigured.................but I doubt anyone would be poring over it for long anyway. I actually half wondered if they had written a third that you could even go straight to from the first one intentionally.............but I dunno. They might have.

2 - I'm not sure I would call it two and a half hours well spent.............it's variable probably depending on your general outlook towards them. Although yesterday I somehow got myself two hours closer to my death by enduring 1995's Virtuosity for the first time ever and it wasn't worse than THAT. I didn't find it worse than Thor.................but X-Men: First Class has a bit more meat on it's bones.

What can I say about it.............................I will concede that I think Micheal Bay probably did make some sort of effort to redress some of the venom from Transformers 2 by trying to include a story that is (reasonably) more coherent and has some twists along the way and I daresay there might even be a smidgen of ideas floating about when it comes to some revelations about what some humans have done. But you could never say it was delivered intelligently, with any substance or in such a way that makes it a 'smart' film even a little bit.

(And I feel it worthwhile pointing out here before any wider confusion arises that Orci & Kurtzman had nothing to do with the script on this one at all, it's all Ehren Kruger)

Oddly, his attempt to put a story in there actually works against the film (yeah, I said it - shoot me, but it's a Transformers film) and slows down the film for a good chunk of it's first half because he's got too many little strands on the go and characters coming back for the hell of it (the parents, John Turturro etc and I still don't know what the point of John Malkovich and Frances McDormand being there was) and who could have been dumped as easily as Megan Fox was.

The new girl looks nice but she has the same dead-eyes as a Zemeckis Mo-Cap character.

(I'd also almost be tempted to invent a new drinking game out of how often Optimus yakks about 'Freedom' in that simplistic manner he always does but I'd be in rehab before the film was over).

If you liked the first one...............you can probably get some mileage out of this one. If you didn't like either of the previous ones, I wouldn't start now. Personally, I think the first one was the 'best' of the bunch (it had just a little bit of genuine Spielbergian heart and soul that made it work that the next two just lost totally amidst the pyro work) and they should probably leave the franchise alone now.

And I doubt I would spring for 3D.

It might be worth it for some moments of the final battle (which does actually last for about an hour) where buildings topple over onto each other and things fly through the air - and FYI, with any Micheal Bay film (give him his due there) the visual effects and CGI is really beyond reproach.............but overall............probably 2D will work for most people. Although it's clear it wasn't an afterthought like a lot of the post-conversions that came along post-Avatar, but part of the conception and filming of the film, so the 3D here is probably a better use of it than many other films since Cameron.

But at the end of the day, the Transformers flicks are like my cinematic McDonalds Cheeseburger. I can watch them all...........even the second one..........and I go with them over Pirates.

courtesy of Saquist

Last edited by kevin : 07-03-2011 at 04:00 AM.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:47 AM
Fleet Admiral

I was not a fan of the first two. I think this will be a wait for netflix type of film for me

Old 07-03-2011, 11:59 AM
Admiral

I always buy the DVD only.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:18 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
I always buy the DVD only.
It seems to be the best way to go most of the time.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:30 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tom Coughlin View Post
It seems to be the best way to go most of the time.
Certainly is… and you can watch it as many time as you like… or not if its a dud.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:32 PM
Commander

Well 'buy' the DVD implies you have some level of attachment with the film. Especially now when 'kids these days' think they can bloody 'stream' everything and say that they've somehow actually watched a movie on their 3 centimeter iPhone screen.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:35 PM
Admiral

Transformers' Claims Independence Gross Record

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni12411721/