The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Looks like people are getting restless....
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2011, 09:07 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by chator View Post
http://trekmovie.com/2011/06/17/star...-tos-episodes/

I don't know if this will satisfy any, but last month news came out that IDW, the movie comics label will be producing monthly new universe Star Trek comics set after the events in Star TRek (2009). According to the article above, the label is working with Roberto Orci, probably to insure there is no contradictions being put out in the comics with the projected storylines for the sequel. There first issue is a reimagining of the second pilot for the Original series, "Where No Man Has Gone Before." I think i will be checking this one out, but it does confirm a suspicion I have long held since the movie came out, that new universe Trek will be giving us little more than a best hits redux of storylines and characters from the Original television series and movies. Maybe those rumors about the sequel involving either Khan or Harry Mudd are true afterall?
Absolutely…

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 07-02-2011, 02:11 AM
Federation Councillor

The part problem is that plenty of fans have been (since the start) clamouring for reduxes of TOS in the new timeline as well.

I'm not sure how much imagination (or lack thereof) that indicates exist on either the fan side OR the movie making side, but either way it's not the most immediately appealing route to my mind. But it can also depend on 'how' it's done in the respective story.

I'm not impatient for a sequel.

Doing one on a two/three year cycle is variable (I personally think three years offers the reasonable compromise unless your going to do back-to-back stuff like LOTR, Pirates 2/3 etc) and to my mind you don't really have to do one that fast.

Plus, forcing a film to be ready for a predefined release date often leads to films that just don't pan out (this applies from everything from TMP itself in 1979 to Transformers 2 in 2009 - which ended up rushed through to make the release date) and while I would think that Paramount would have learned the lesson of that, I'm not inclined to believe that would stop them.

June 29th 2012 now looks likely that it cannot be met without rushing the project in some way. Then again, you CAN do a major film in a year - X-Men: First Class started principal photography I think in August 2010 for it's May 2011 release date and it wasn't a bust as a film.

If Abrams is unwilling to rush the project through in order to get the best result he possibly can and Paramount is willing to wait (this is also why G.I Joe 2 is now being put on a faster track by Paramount in fact, because it will likely take over the release slot that Star Trek 2 (12? whatever!) will probably have to vacate)...............................well, I don't have an issue with that.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 07-02-2011, 02:41 PM
Admiral

The thing to worry about these days is that the writers and directors spread themselves too thinly over many projects. That has to impact the quality of any movie and its scheduled release date.

Old 07-02-2011, 05:52 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
The thing to worry about these days is that the writers and directors spread themselves too thinly over many projects. That has to impact the quality of any movie and its scheduled release date.
Absolutely agree.
Heck, I'm amazed that with all the work ILM gets tasked with, it still cranks out a pretty amazing job for each film it covers.

Old 07-03-2011, 06:03 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
And it seems to apply most heavily to the Bad Robot team and definitely Orci and Kurtzman/Lindelof. Perhaps, the writers are equally responsible for this delay? A lot of the fans seems to think they've got everything done and are simply waiting for Abrams. That may not be the case.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:15 AM
Federation Councillor

They have said that as of (last month anyway) they had a treatment/outline only..............they did not have a completed script.

They're not hiding that fact.

It depends how detailed the treatment is...........there's still a world of speculation going on.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 07-03-2011, 10:36 AM
Fleet Admiral

I suppose it's rather remarkable, if not extraordinary, that Paramount is giving all involved time to get their other projects done. If this was 20 years ago, they'd have been all over their asses.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:50 AM
Fleet Admiral

Perhaps they have begun to learn their lesson about that

Old 07-03-2011, 10:55 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tom Coughlin View Post
Perhaps they have begun to learn their lesson about that
Off the top of my head, I would say that TMP, TSFS, TFF, & INS suffered the most from studio rushing/interference, not all necessarily box office-wise, but in story etc. Any of the others I forgot?
Old 07-03-2011, 12:01 PM
Admiral

Perhaps they never thought the movie would be such a hit and they have been caught off guard?