The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Looks like people are getting restless....
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2011, 07:30 AM
Fleet Admiral

Default Looks like people are getting restless....

http://trekmovie.com/2011/06/29/one-...s-it/#comments

Look at the comments on this article. Seems to me, I'm not the only one who's concerned that delaying the next movie will create a Nemesis situation again. The impatience of the fan base is also showing itself now.

In short, they need to get this damn thing going or interest in the franchise will decline (again). At this point, I'd be happy if Abrams does what he did with the upcoming Mission Impossible...let someone else direct and he produces.

Last edited by jla1987 : 06-30-2011 at 07:33 AM.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:52 AM
Fleet Admiral

I vote for Frakes.

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 06-30-2011, 12:50 PM
Admiral

"They will not allow quality to be compromised in order to just meet that date."

And I agree… take as long as you need… but get it right!

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 06-30-2011, 01:07 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
"They will not allow quality to be compromised in order to just meet that date."

And I agree… take as long as you need… but get it right!

Old 06-30-2011, 01:36 PM
Federation Councillor

Letting someone else direct is not going to necessarily speed up the process, it would actually delay it further since they would have to put it out to tender and then go the process of hiring one. And if there isn't a completed script any 'new' director won't be doing anything except sitting and waiting for it to land in his In-tray.

While I don't quite understand the reason for the delay in his confirmation of returning to the director's chair (it's seemed inevitable since the first film came out and thus pointless to keep it rumour to this point) the main issue is whatever the 'real' current state of the project is.

Which is not being precisely revealed.

I'm starting to suspect that one of two things is on the cards. The film 'is' actually at a more advanced state than can be determined just now and the date can be made............or the film is going to have to move because they will have to rush it at this point to get it ready for the scheduled date.

Rushing to make a pre-fixed date is rarely a wise move.............but one that studios will do (TMP did it after all) when it suits them.

Personally, I can wait til December 2012 if need be. But 2012 is already a very crowded year - both during the Summer season and the Christmas Holiday season as well. There 'could' even be a viable argument for waiting until 2013 when there's much more room to move just now.

But that's for Paramount to decide in conjunction with the director.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 07-01-2011, 01:10 AM
Fleet Admiral

I fail to see on the one hand why they should produce Trek movies every two or three years like in the old days just for the sake of satisfying impatient fans.
On the other hand I also fail to see why quality and delay should be correlated, the moviemakers are simply quite busy with other projects.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:58 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quality takes time. As long as we get a quality movie out of the work, I'm willing to wait.

Old 07-01-2011, 06:43 AM
Fleet Admiral

Well, one thing's for sure: there's a growing contingent of hardcore uberfans that are getting pissed with all of the non-information.

I'm not one of them, but I get where they're coming from. The lack of information is odd. It would be a tremendous boon to unveil something big at Comic Con later this month and really get the ball rolling! Perhaps, the secrecy is just typical Abrams stuff and he's really been working on it all along?
Old 07-01-2011, 03:40 PM
Fleet Admiral

As for a director, if not Abrams, then I prefer someone who actually knows how to do "big screen" epics. Frakes is a fine director, but his stuff still comes across as television to me....not big screen.

I go to movies for big screen experiences, not television episodes.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:16 PM
Commander

http://trekmovie.com/2011/06/17/star...-tos-episodes/

I don't know if this will satisfy any, but last month news came out that IDW, the movie comics label will be producing monthly new universe Star Trek comics set after the events in Star TRek (2009). According to the article above, the label is working with Roberto Orci, probably to insure there is no contradictions being put out in the comics with the projected storylines for the sequel. There first issue is a reimagining of the second pilot for the Original series, "Where No Man Has Gone Before." I think i will be checking this one out, but it does confirm a suspicion I have long held since the movie came out, that new universe Trek will be giving us little more than a best hits redux of storylines and characters from the Original television series and movies. Maybe those rumors about the sequel involving either Khan or Harry Mudd are true afterall?