The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > I can't sleep!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2011, 04:28 AM
Rear Admiral

Default I can't sleep!

Man, I hate this! This is the second night this week where I can't sleep at all. Ugh, it's getting tiresome! Pun intended!

J.J. "Binks" Abrams is taking over sci-fi!
Fans Expendable
Old 05-06-2011, 05:12 AM
Vice Admiral

Happens to me once in a while too.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:24 AM
Commander

That sucks guys.

Am guessing if you're both insomniac quite often you may have tried a lot of these so please forgive me. But you tried not having caffeine/food before bed? You tried sleeping pills or exercise to tire yourselves out?
Old 05-06-2011, 08:31 AM
Federation Councillor

I go through spells of that, usually of maybe 3 or 4 nights in a row.

Personally I would always avoid starting with pills when it comes to sleep unless it was the doctors advising it as a last-stop measure, but that's just my preference. Normally I follow advice that I read once.

If you haven't fallen asleep after about twenty minutes of trying to, you probably aren't going to so your as well going and doing something (reading a book is a good one) and just do that until you feel sleepy enough to try again.

I've heard that sometimes having a warm bath about an hour before you go to bed can sometimes help your body prepare for sleep.

Caffeine etc is a bad thing right before bed though, so would eating heavily though.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-06-2011, 12:18 PM
Vice Admiral

Honestly, I think it has a lot to do with stress and my job. My work involves dealing with a lot of...let's say...disreputable people every day. It's stressful, and it's low-paying (that's the government for ya!), unfortunately. But the benefits are decent. My life is literally in danger every day. I sometimes find myself trying to stay up late to prolong my time at home before having to go back to the old grind again the next morning. It's not that I hate my job. It's just that it's not as rewarding as it was 10 or 12 years ago. One thing I've found that works wonders, as long as I don't do it but a couple times a week, is drinking about 3 full glasses of Yellow Tail merlot. Fantastic stuff! Puts me right out
Old 05-06-2011, 12:28 PM
Federation Councillor

Stress in life is definitely something that will play a part as well, and those levels elevate and decrease depending on what's on in it at the time.

(I don't deal quite so directly with the disreputable part of the UK public, but I know well the feeling of being in a relatively low paid government job that I don't feel the same way about as I did when I started it ten years ago. Of course, in the current climate it's not like anyone can up sticks and quit their work anymore!)

That said, tiring yourself by staying up intentionally late isn't going to work out for the long run.

It's a ****ty balance the grind forces us to try and keep!

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-06-2011, 12:56 PM
Vice Admiral

For whatever reason, remembering a quote of my grandma's always puts me right out when I can't fall asleep - "No one ever died from lack of sleep." I guess it takes the pressure off??
Old 05-07-2011, 09:06 AM
Rear Admiral

I've come to the conclusion that eating right before bed isn't good. Mainly because if you just go to sleep...if you can go to sleep anyway, the food just settles and you don't burn off any of the fat, which makes your body work harder. At the same time, sometimes I just try to take advantage of the days I have off of work I guess and that's why I stay up so late. I mean, you will be surprised how fast time flies!

But yeah, sometimes you just have to go to sleep when you are tired. I mean, once I get in bed I'm sure I can fall asleep. Heck, I even have this pillow that allows you to hook it up to your CD playing with the speakers actually in the pillow!

*I have also come to the conclusion that it's not the best idea to listen to rock music while trying to sleep.

J.J. "Binks" Abrams is taking over sci-fi!
Fans Expendable
Old 05-07-2011, 12:59 PM
Federation Councillor

I was under the impression it was bad for your ears to fall asleep to music overnight.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-07-2011, 08:17 PM
Fleet Admiral

I can't sleep to music, because there is a part of my brain that will just focus on the music and never go to sleep. Same thing with TV, I have a hard time falling asleep to TV.