The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > The Next Generation > Captain Edward Jellico
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2010, 11:19 AM
Fleet Admiral

Default Captain Edward Jellico

Let's discuss this guy, an interesting character in the sense that many seem to have a negative opinion of him. Is it possible that he is being judged unfairly? He has a very different command style than Picard, but it seems to work for him. More authoritarian, more deadline oriented, but sometimes the way to get the most out of people is to push them. He was right about the Cardassians, and it was him that secured Picard's release. Could it be that Riker was the one that was out of line, should he have just accepted Jellico's lead?

Old 02-08-2010, 11:21 AM
Fleet Admiral

Please allow my to make an kinda off topic remark: Ronny Cox is awesome! He will forever be the ruthless OCP exec, Dick Jones!

*Back on topic*

I thought he made for more of an old school commander. Would have fit in in Kirk's era or definitely Archer's. I haven't seen those episodes in years, so I cannot really comment on the details, but he was definitely the most memorable part of it for me.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:24 AM
Ensign

Yeah, it has been so long since I've seen that episode. But I do remember his was a character I loved to hate.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:31 AM
Fleet Admiral

It's a facinating character, and I always felt like he was getting a bad rap. I think Riker should have acted like an officer and followed his lead. It's interesting that Data made a perfect first officer for Jellico.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:46 AM
Fleet Admiral

Although the episode was cheaply designed to portray Jellico as a bad captain, I don't think that he really was that bad (unlike the two captains in TSFS who really did suck). In fact he did some good things, a Starfleet uniform for Troi was more than overdue and if the captains says that he wants some changes under his new command, the job of the first officer is to implement his orders.
So I think he is a pretty ordinary and decent captain, yet Picard's leadership style is far superior IMO. His senior officers can do their jobs the way they like, all that matters for him is the end result. Yet he is first and above all still a conventional military officer (remember how he reprimanded Wesley in First Duty), just one who knows the right mixture between stick and carrot.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:49 AM
Fleet Admiral

See, sometimes I think you need a guy that has an authoritarian attitude to motivate the troops to get the most done. I think he's probably a very good Captain, and Riker acted like a spoiled child ( I normally like Riker, but he doesn't come off well in this episode).

Old 02-08-2010, 12:03 PM
Fleet Admiral

I haven't seen Chain of Command for quite some time so I don't remember it precisely, but didn't Jellico just change some procedures aboard without asking his XO or other senior officers? It is understandable that Riker is irritated as he is used to being asked by Picard about such matters but he wouldn't say no to Picard if he gives an order that implies extra work for the crew either.
I don't think that Jellico's style makes the crew more productive than Picard's, on the contrary. But there is a clear hierarchy aboard and Riker's main task is to implement the captain's orders, whether he likes them or not. And it is not like his captain does something wrong like aboard the Pegasus or like he doesn't respond to a order in a time pressure situation like Data in Redemption, it's just about procedures.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:04 PM
Fleet Admiral

He changes their shift rotation from a 3 shift watch to a 4 shift watch, and Riker is slow in getting it implemented, Riker takes the difficulties of his subordinates under consideration, Jellico does not accept the exuses of not getting it done. Which is right? You could make the case that Jellico is. Sometimes a boss's job is to get people to meet deadlines they don't think they can meet.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:08 PM
Fleet Admiral

He also does something with Geordi in engineering that causes them to work extra shifts, I believe it was overhauling the warp core or something. Same kind of thing, he sets the deadline that Geordi balks at, yet Data believes can be achieved.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:56 PM
Fleet Admiral

I'm glad I'm not the only one who hasn't seen the episode in a long time. Wondered if I might be the only one, since it seems to have quite a following.