The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > An Objective Opinion (Tattos)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2011, 10:27 AM
Fleet Admiral

Default An Objective Opinion (Tattos)

I've been noticing that the American culture has radically shifted to tattoos being taboo to being accepted to embraced.

I have to be honest. I think tattoos are just human vandalism, graffiti on what is otherwise already a work of art. But I'm looking to form a more objective opinion. I think there are tasteful tattoos and I think the old roman adage is right as well "Everything in moderation and nothing in excess." But I'm seeing an increase of not just tattoos in general but in the excess of them on individuals. Often I considered this to be often a mental aberrant to want to cover yourself (permanently) in images that you feel define yourself. My cousin recently got yet another tattoo. (He wants to be an FBI agent so none on the arms) His back and front are beginning to have resemblances to a mural. It seems he traveled in the tattoo circle with his family...I'm just wondering. (for those that have them....

What is too much Tattoo for you...
What is tasteful
What is tacky
Are there any standards at all?

Old 04-10-2011, 10:29 AM
Fleet Admiral

I have one on my upper arm. I may get a few more, but nothing I can't cover with a T-shirt.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:43 AM
Federation Councillor

I don't have them, but I like them sometimes on others and sometimes mull over getting them.

I remember reading once, or hearing on a program that body art/tattoos etc often have meaning beyond just the fact of their existence. The idea that having tattoos added to your body is like a marker of the journey of your life and if you have nothing marked on your body at the end of your life then you haven't lived...........it was something like that. But that was in connection to indigenous tribal people's cultural history.

In the West, I don't know that they always have that deep a meaning. But I don't think you can argue with, for example, parents getting tattoos of their children's names or other important family markers on their bodies if that's what they wish to do. These things have lifetime importance to people.

Getting one of Tweety Bird just because though, is sort of another matter.

And I know of people who have regretted getting them done as well................life, I guess. Overall, I tend to view them as markers of individuality and art and usually of some meaning to the person who has them. I quite admire some of them, but then also there are fashion tattoos (i.e you see a lot of guys with similar arm tattoos and I think half the time that's just because they see others in their social circle with them and want them to be like them................I suppose that does in fact bring the idea of them back to tribalism, belonging and subcultural identification..........but then I think that's also sometimes overanalysing it) that people get because they are in vogue thanks to celebrities etc.

I'm not saying I would never get one, I just haven't felt the need to.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 04-10-2011, 10:45 AM
Fleet Admiral

I waited a long time before I got mine, so I knew I still wanted it. It's a serious decision since it's permanent (short of laser removal which probably really sucks).

Old 04-10-2011, 10:49 AM
Federation Councillor

I have decided that if I got one it wouldn't be one of those ones for a special 'other' because too many people I know have then broken up and been stuck with it!!

A pitfall, to be sure, but what doesn't have them from time to time.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 04-10-2011, 10:51 AM
Fleet Admiral

I was thinking about getting my family coat of arms on my other arm. Since that will always be my family coat of arms, it won't change

Old 04-10-2011, 10:54 AM
Federation Councillor

Yeah, I would think about getting something like that perhaps as a marker. To me, that's a good type of tattoo to get.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 04-10-2011, 11:43 AM
Fleet Admiral

To be frank I think tattoos are like graffiti, when well done they look fantastic but the majority looks rather mediocre
I like the information value of tramp stamps though, when the behind tells you that the front is not worth getting acquainted to. I also like those barcode tattoos, nothing but telling the world that you can be bought.
Seriously, as already mentioned tattoos are to some degree about fixing something for a lifetime. So when you want that you are more likely to get tattoos and when you rather yearn for flexibility you are more likely to get none.

Last edited by horatio : 04-10-2011 at 11:48 AM.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:12 PM
Admiral

Don't have any tattoos myself. Never have been inclined to get on either. My sister has one, very small butterfly on her shoulder. Actually I do some work for a tattoo store, organise their printed stationery etc. I've seen some nice stuff and some really ugly stuff. I think done right its OK, but people need to think about where its put and what its going to look like when their older.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 04-10-2011, 12:42 PM
Federation Councillor

Yeah, sometimes I do think to myself...................if in particular you see a younger men/women who obviously work out and stay in shape and has tattoos that work with their muscalature...........have they thought of how saggy that's all gonna be when they're 85.

I don't suppose it matters in the long run. I mean, like you'll care, you'll just be glad your 85 and still around.

courtesy of Saquist