The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > What did you like/dislike about Star Trek (2009)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2011, 12:26 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
I don't think it would work in this instance as the story from the previous movie is over and I don't think that they really wanna connect their movies too much or even weave some subplots. As much as I'd like to see something about the Vulcan diaspora, it is not suited for the big screen.
But perhaps they'll show some things that happened in the meantime, i.e. the time that has passed between the two movies assuming that they go with the easy "in the fictional world roughly as much time as in the real world has passed".
I would love a Vulcan story. They probably won't do it, but there is a lot they could do with it.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:41 PM
Fleet Admiral

I'd like something with a heretical Vulcan like Sybok who wants his society to become more Romulan, either in order to join or to crush their distant brothers, and the seemingly totalitarian Vulcan establishment that crushes these guys. Then you think, "oh my God, these wicked bureaucrats, have they forgotten IDIC?" but in the end you learn that it was necessary because, I don't know, the heretics did something very nasty or basically ate themselves.
But that's just crazy me fantasizing about a story that you will must likely not see from Hollywood.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:44 PM
Fleet Admiral

I've long been saying I want a Vulcan story that deals with the upheavel in their society as a result of the destruction of their planet. Vulcans who reject the Federation, and reject the suppression of emotion. You have to imagine that after what they went through there would be serious upheaval in their culture and society. You could do a lot fo interesting things with that. I highly doubt we see any of this though.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:49 PM
Federation Councillor

I'd like that and that sounds highly interesting.............but I think I'd be tempted to make it a story of a third film.

I think you would need to allow time for such a movement to develop and then work it's way through society, so it would depend on the timescale between the two films in their 'reality'. I think that could be an interesting story that could form a sort of bookend to a trilogy of films, since the first featured the destruction of Vulcan.

You would maybe need some references in the second, to keep it through them all.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 04-11-2011, 12:53 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tom Coughlin View Post
I've long been saying I want a Vulcan story that deals with the upheavel in their society as a result of the destruction of their planet. Vulcans who reject the Federation, and reject the suppression of emotion. You have to imagine that after what they went through there would be serious upheaval in their culture and society. You could do a lot fo interesting things with that. I highly doubt we see any of this though.
Well, we are basically all liberals in the broad sense so Vulcan culture cannot look like anything but fundamentalist. That's why it will never really explored in Trek and why something like my short sketch that includes the justification of the monolithic Vulcan culture is totally unimaginable.

It cannot seem like anything but totalitarian to us and that's why any potential story would only repeat this New Age bullsh*t from ST09. You wanna live more freely and enjoy your emotions and we don't really like it but we allow you to explore your feelings and so on as long as you don't exaggerate it.
Nonsense, rather show that Vulcan minister of the interior who ruthlessly crushes these stupid New Age rebels.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:54 PM
Federation Councillor

Yep, and then have Spock kneecap the scum!!

courtesy of Saquist
Old 04-11-2011, 12:58 PM
Admiral

The vulcans have enough screen time over the years. Let them fade into the background, split into fractions and re-emerge at a future point in the space time continuum. Either that or give em their own cartoon show!

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 04-11-2011, 12:59 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Yep, and then have Spock kneecap the scum!!
Of course I am exaggerating but to me the point of Vulcans is precisely that they are not like us. They are in the good Roddenberryian sense real aliens and that's why I don't like the humification of them. Isn't this racist? Wasn't Azetbur right in TUC that imposing human values upon Klingons is racist?
We are life-loving democrats but Klingons are death-loving aristocrats. We are good liberal humans but they are anti-liberal Vulcans and they have to be like that because they cannot be free like us. If they were they would destroy themselves.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:59 PM
Federation Councillor

As long as in this timeline there's no Sybok...............they can do whatever they want.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 04-11-2011, 01:02 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
As long as in this timeline there's no Sybok...............they can do whatever they want.
I like Sybok… he's more in tune with the Vulcans now more than ever!

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!