The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > One in five British people believe Lightsabers are real — and half believe science...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2011, 11:53 AM
Vice Admiral

What do you mean lightsabers aren't real??? I saw them right there on the screen!
Old 03-24-2011, 02:15 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
What do you mean lightsabers aren't real??? I saw them right there on the screen!
Ah if only, would be so much fun to chop down trees or make ice sculptures with.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:26 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roysten View Post
Believing in light sabres though is just plain laughable.
People believe all sorts of things. I hear some people believe there is this guy with a big white beard that sits in the clouds and controls everything.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:57 AM
Fleet Admiral

So people that have a thing called faith are stupid, eh?
I hate having my intelligence questioned just because of a little thing called "faith".
It's religion you have a problem with. It's the fundamentalists you have a problem with. I don't blame you for that. I HATE religion. But there's nothing wrong with having a little faith. So why do you go trying to offend the good members of this board that have faith? What have WE done to you?

In truth, one reason so many people are atheist today is because it's the new "cool" thing to be.

Another reason some folk are atheist is because maybe they had religion rammed down their throats as a youngster....so you start to resent everything associated with religion or faith, or God.

Another reason some folk are atheist is because something really horrible happened to them at some point, and they decided that there can't be a God or supreme power.

Or they just decided "maybe if I profess not to believe in God or a supreme power, I'll seem smarter than everyone else around me."

I really try to remain reticent about my faith....hell, I thought maybe we were friends....but I guess we can't be because you think people that have faith are stupid.

Last edited by martok2112 : 03-25-2011 at 10:05 AM.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:28 AM
Vice Admiral

It is unfortunate that there are people who look down their noses at those of us who believe in God. I find the existence of a suprme being (with or without a white beard) to be completely logical. But that's just my opinion. I have no problems with anyone not believing in God. I do have a problem with athiests claiming that the rest of us are stupid becaus we do believe.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:52 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
So people that have a thing called faith are stupid, eh?
I hate having my intelligence questioned just because of a little thing called "faith".
Not everyone that has faith in God is stupid and I wasn't questioning anyone's intelligence with my statement.

Quote:
It's religion you have a problem with. It's the fundamentalists you have a problem with. I don't blame you for that. I HATE religion.
How do you know what I believe?

Quote:
But there's nothing wrong with having a little faith.
That depends on what the faith is in.

Quote:
So why do you go trying to offend the good members of this board that have faith? What have WE done to you?
I just stated a fact. In my opinion though the depiction of God I described is laughable. I apologize if you or anyone else took offence to that statement.

Quote:
In truth, one reason so many people are atheist today is because it's the new "cool" thing to be.

Another reason some folk are atheist is because maybe they had religion rammed down their throats as a youngster....so you start to resent everything associated with religion or faith, or God.

Another reason some folk are atheist is because something really horrible happened to them at some point, and they decided that there can't be a God or supreme power.

Or they just decided "maybe if I profess not to believe in God or a supreme power, I'll seem smarter than everyone else around me."
You're entitled to your opinions on why you believe people are atheists

Quote:
I really try to remain reticent about my faith....hell, I thought maybe we were friends....but I guess we can't be because you think people that have faith are stupid.
I'm sorry but I don't consider you a friend. I've never meet you in person and I don't really know you but I didn't say I think people that have faith are stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
I do have a problem with athiests claiming that the rest of us are stupid becaus we do believe.
Not all atheists make that claim.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:44 PM
Fleet Admiral

My apologies for my over-reaction, EC. It was uncalled for.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:55 PM
Fleet Admiral

I have a hard time believing that one in five people there believe in lightsabers. I question that study.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:56 PM
Commander

On a slightly related note, a lot of people in the UK put their religion as Jedi in the last census. Obviously to most it was a joke, but would be interesting to see how many people actually believe it to be a real religion.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:13 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enterprise Captain View Post

Not all atheists make that claim.
Yeah...but that's really spliting hairs.
It's like saying "not all politicians are are liars."

I'm surprised you guys would jump into this considering the conflict it's been known to incite. It's one thing to have a meaningful discussion on the issue but it doesn't sound like that's where it's going.