The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Super 8 Trailer
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2011, 09:04 AM
Fleet Admiral

Default Super 8 Trailer

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/48833

I'm not nearly as excited as the guy who wrote the article, but I'm not really a product of the ET era. What do you all think?
Old 03-11-2011, 09:25 AM
Federation Councillor

Yeah, Super 8 is definitely on my radar as one of the summer films I most want to catch. Pirates 4 can crash and burn for all I care, but I really do genuinely hope this is a good, solid film that does well and doesn't let me down too much.

I liked this trailer and especially the music. In that sense, yep I can say that I do get a sort of CE3K/ET vibe from the initial parts of the trailer and that score. It looks authentically 70s from what I can tell. It's kept my interest high for the film.

I kinda hope though, that as a Spielberg homage Abrams doesn't miss the point of Spielberg's 70s flicks and have the 'whatever it is' be some sort of generic Cloverfield monster that just kills. E:T and CE3K were mysterious, but also wondrous and his creatures/aliens were ultimately benign. Light, not dark.

I think if he doesn't have something of that wonder up his sleeve in the film he'll have missed the point of Spielberg's movies at that time IMO. Of course the flip side would be that if it were a true Spielberg homage the audience might be expecting that...............lol!

courtesy of Saquist

Last edited by kevin : 03-11-2011 at 09:33 AM.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:35 AM
Fleet Admiral

The trailer makes it look like the usual Abrams stuff, technically well done but without any heart or core. He might have learned to become a bit more kitschy from Spielberg but I doubt that he has reached Spielberg's authentic warmth.
Despite these limitations I thoroughly enjoyed Cloverfield for what it was, a stupid monster-horror-mystery movie and this will probably be more or less the same.

About the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, I like them but they are produced too quickly which hurts the quality. They are still far wittier than anything from the 'Lost repeated ad infinitum' folks.

Last edited by horatio : 03-11-2011 at 10:40 AM.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:23 AM
Federation Councillor

It's more Depp I can't deal with onscreen as Sparrow these days. I stopped being entertained by the act (as I was in the first one) to totally irritated halfway through Dead Man's Chest and I've never been able to go back.

I suppose the Pirates films are no better or worse than any other modern family franchise (although for stupidity I probably prefer the silly National Treasure flicks shenanigans, don't know why) and since - even though they have vastly better visual effects etc - they still don't really hold a candle to Back To The Future, Indiana Jones, Star Wars anyway it doesn't make much difference overall if I skip the fourth!

I'm interested in Super 8 as well because this is Abrams writing and directing on his own cinematically for the first time. Sure he's heavily involved in writing/directing/producing a lot of various other genre TV shows and films, which we all know of, but this time there's no O&K (or anyone else he frequently works with) on scripting, or Damon Lindelof etc. This is Abrams alone. Notwithstanding the fact that he has intended to fashion a Spielberg-esque film..........but then only he could actually get Spielberg himself to get involved and help develop it!

I'll be interested to see what he comes up with. Like I said, I'm looking forward to this more than several other summer blockbusters, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't end up a total bust.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 03-11-2011, 11:59 AM
Fleet Admiral

I am all for moviemakers who write, produce, direct and even edit. Kurosawa and Bergman did it, Jackson and Nolan do it.
But as you have pointed out this is not Abrams alone trying to find his own voice (he already has it), it's Abrams trying to do a Spielberg type of movie with Spielberg's help and the trailer definitely looks a bit like E.T.
While great moviemakers are always inspired by their predecessors I don't see any merit in explicit emulation.

I think that Abrams is better served with his usual team, they think similar to him so the end result is fairly pure Abrams. If we were in Japan where the master-disciple relation is relevant and if Abrams had worked under Spielberg as an assistant director and learned from his sensei this would be fine ... but in Hollywood this seems strange, unnatural and fake.

Nonetheless this melange between Abrams and Spielberg might very well be an enjoyable movie.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:13 PM
Federation Councillor

I think to an extent the film-makers of the past often influence the directors who follow them. That's a fairly obvious thing to say, but it's also true and you're right that sometimes the result of a later director so consciously echoing his own predecessors can sometimes fail. There's nothing inherently wrong with it, I think, where it's done well.

Abrams is not on Spielberg's level when it comes to such fare.........and yet, I would argue that in some ways Abrams is still himself above some of his contemporaries and some of the director's who have been around making these sorts of films for a while now, even longer than Abrams has. He's in a sort of unfortunate inbetween space of being stuck in the gap between being considerably better than the average BIG summer movie director .............and yet not of actual greatness or auteurishness, if that's a better word. He's a name people know.............but not in the way that people think of Spielberg, Nolan, Jackson etc

Probably because he's unlikely to do what Spielberg did and be able to switch from the blockbustery satisfaction and child-like wonder of Jurassic Park ('look, dinosaurs are real') to the graver and more serious Schindler's List in the same calendar year. Yet, since I don't think Abrams wants to make a film like Schindlers (or even say, Amistad/Saving Private Ryan/Munich) that may be fine with him just to make something in honour of the Spielberg who helped fashion him.

I didn't find anything necessarily fake in this trailer though, in fairness. But certainly a deliberate and genuine evocation of a type of film not made anymore because the director who used to make them grew up.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 03-11-2011, 12:46 PM
Fleet Admiral

And precisely because of that you can't do it again. It was natural for Spielberg to make these movies when he made them whereas Super 8 is the equivalent of trying to relive your childhood experiences. They are gone and won't come again.
It's like Stephen King's It, the folks meet many years after they were kids and they reunite once again to fight It but their childhood bonds don't last beyond this.

If Spielberg had such a tremendous impact upon Abrams why don't we see any traces of it in his oeuvre? This would be natural and organic evolution whereas Super 8 seems to be basically a homage to Spielberg. So fake might be the wrong term and and artificial might be more appropriate.
Let's take a shallow example, Mr.Bean. Atkinson's comedic art is no imaginable without the silent movie era but it's not a repetition of it.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:26 PM
Federation Councillor

I don't really know to what specific extent Abrams was truly influenced by Spielberg over the years - there's obviously some connection between the two things somewhere or he wouldn't have sought a collaboration in the first place, since few people attempt homages without being enamoured of who they are homaging in the first place, so I assume that somewhere Abrams took something from Stevie' 70s/80s films to heart - so I probably wouldn't use the term 'tremendous impact', as indeed I didn't.

You're right that it's possible the film will fall flat on it's face in what it's trying to do - Ironically, Spielberg faced this problem of going back to his youth and not capturing it well when he directed the generally derided Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull back in 2008 - maybe because it's trying to be something of the past, or create a mood of the kind not frequently depicted nowadays, or because people will find it, as you say, artificial. Probably depends on the entire film and how it plays with them. Either way, it's basically still more appealing than the aforementioned Pirates 4 to me. Though, I refuse to actually go and see P4 anyway so I'll never know if it ends up better than the others or not. Depp/Verbinski conned me twice with P2 and P3. That was enough money on him. But I'm digressing...........see what mention of that stupid Sparrow does!

It's also not a comic book adaption, a superhero film, a sequel, a prequel, a reboot, a 3rd/4th/5th or higher franchise installment or 'presented in 3D' and that gives it some mild props in 2011's cinematic landscape as well, frankly.

However, reception may be the test of whether it is, or feels, like a genuine homage, or an artificial one to the general audience. They usually decide with their pockets and if it doesn't work, it won't be a success. Homaging is a tricky business, but not nearly a new one (it's all over film, TV, music and literature) and it's patently incorrect to say they all fail or end up as artificial. Annoyingly, it's often as much down to how the individual recieves it as well as how the makers intended it. To use another director as an example, Brian De Palma's films for me rather too consciously and artificially homage Hitchcock and the only innovation of his own was the use of carefully planned slow motion sequences. You know when you're watching a De Palma film, but you also know who's ghost is standing over his shoulder as he directs. Yet DePalma's own films are quite satisfying on their own a lot of the time.

Anyway, my clairvoyance isn't particularly switched on today, so from a trailer alone it's never a sure bet either way, but I personally don't get an artificial vibe from the trailer that was presented. Yet.

courtesy of Saquist

Last edited by kevin : 03-11-2011 at 01:54 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:48 PM
Fleet Admiral

Super 8 may be a little off of my radar, but Pirates 4 is nowhere close to it. I enjoyed the first Pirates, but the sequels were snoozers and the new one looks no different.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:11 AM
Federation Councillor

Hey, at least it's not the teaser trailer for the Conan The Barbarian remake!!

http://thefilmstage.com/2011/03/11/c...easer-trailer/

Now, that looks like a hilariously bad piece of junk. If the awful, awful, AWFULLY crappy teaser is any guide!*

*I know, I know, teasers can mislead but seriously................c'mon...........this had me near wetting myself with laughter on the first watch.

courtesy of Saquist