The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > 8.9 earthquake off Japanese Noreastern coast
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2011, 02:22 AM
Fleet Admiral

Default 8.9 earthquake off Japanese Noreastern coast

An 8.9 magnitude (7th largest in recorded history) earthquake hit 18 miles off the Northeastern Japanese coast, creating tsunamis that directly affected Sendai and several surrounding cities.

Hawaii, the Phillipines, Russia, and the Western coastlines of North and South America are also under threat of the tsunami. Alaska, the U.S. West Coast, and the West coasts of Mexico and South America are all under tsunami warnings. Coastal residents are alerted or are being alerted, and moving further inland.

Hawaii is due to be hit soon. I believe San Francisco is due to be hit by around 8:15AM PST.

For any forum members who live in the West coast, if you live in coastal towns, I hope you have moved further inland. I don't know the projections of potential tsunami reach or damage, but please, if you live in a coastal area, do not take any chances, and please move further inland. And if possible, please keep us apprised of your situations if this is something that can directly affect you.

My dad lives in Washington State, last I knew. I've tried to call him. Got one answering machine, so I left a message. (Other attempts were met with "the machine is off"), so, I'm hoping that he lives far enough inland of WA state to not have to worry about it. Being ex-military, I think he probably has a lot of friends who contacted him as well to warn him. I pray so.

Welcome to the Department of Redundancy Department. How may I help and/or assist you?

Old 03-11-2011, 02:30 AM
Fleet Admiral

Here is a projected report for some of California, so this ought not be so bad as it could've sounded. I didn't mean to be a Chicken Little or anything, but I am thinking of my friends who could be in these areas.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...4e5fc976ce970c

Old 03-11-2011, 08:22 AM
Lieutenant Commander

I live on the beach of southern California. The tsunami was unnoticeable.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:09 AM
Federation Councillor

It's pretty clear now that Japan has taken a huge hit off this.

I don't know how the Tsunami danger has played out across the rest of the Pacific so far. I've been watching the BBC news updates on it where I can.

I work alongside a mate whose Aunt/Uncle and cousins live in Huntingdon Beach, CA. Using his mobile phone's email he was able to ask him what was happening. According to them they were getting well warned hours in advance of anything.

As catastrophic as it is, you have to sit back and just wonder at the power of what the planet can do as we rest upon it.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 03-11-2011, 11:26 AM
Federation Councillor

I think they are going to try and bleed pressure off of the reactor in question but hope to avoid radiation..........or at least, severe radiation leakage.

But it's a beautiful looking country. Sadly never been there but someday perhaps..........

courtesy of Saquist
Old 03-12-2011, 01:15 AM
Fleet Admiral

Megadith, I'm glad to hear you're alright, and that your area was pretty much unscathed.

I've received favorable reports from other friends of mine who live in those states. I think, so far, there's only been one fatality, and that was because a guy and a few of his buddies decided to defy evacuation orders, and try to get some pictures of the wave. Four were rescued, and one was washed out to sea. While I cannot applaud the Darwin award he will likely receive, I also offer my condolences to his loved ones.

I do pray for the lives lost and families displaced/homeless in Japan. And I hope they are able to get the nuclear emergency under control.

(On a lighter note...the last thing we need is a real life Gojira.)

Old 03-12-2011, 01:17 AM
Federation Councillor

There has been an explosion at one of the Nuclear facilities now, but not a Nuclear blast they think.............yet. Looks like one of the main buildings has been demolished though. According to the BBC news these light-water design Nuclear reactors don't tend to blow up as such, but it's ovbiously still dicey.

I heard there was some damage up in Oregon, but San Francisco etc just saw a relatively minor wave and tide, going by some of the news footage anyway.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 03-12-2011, 02:09 AM
Fleet Admiral

how come we've never seen this before with japanesse earthquakes...tsunamis and such?
was it just because this was in the water?

Old 03-12-2011, 02:43 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
how come we've never seen this before with japanesse earthquakes...tsunamis and such?
was it just because this was in the water?
Everyone was waiting for it, everyone knew once it will happen. But nobody knew when.

Just like everyone expects the big quake on the West Coast of the USA that could destroy San Francisko.

Lets hope the nuclear problem will be solved. If anyone developed emergency plans then it's the Japanese.

Last edited by TheTrekkie : 03-12-2011 at 02:46 AM.