The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Differences between TOS and ST09
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2011, 12:35 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tom Coughlin View Post
I don't see them straying to far from the summer blockbuster high action formula, which would suggest some type of a villain. I do agree that villains are not a necessary part of Trek, but I think that in this new rebooted form that will be the direction they will go.
The pre reboot flicks more than established that template so I would tend to agree.

A protagonist needs an antagonist of some sort (another reason the Borg were retooled in FC) unless you're going for a whimsical and more lightweight mood like TVH.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 03-12-2011, 12:47 PM
Fleet Admiral

We'll just have to wait and see where they go with it. This time around though, I vow not to know as much going into the film as I did with this past one!

Old 03-12-2011, 12:49 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
The pre reboot flicks more than established that template so I would tend to agree.

A protagonist needs an antagonist of some sort (another reason the Borg were retooled in FC) unless you're going for a whimsical and more lightweight mood like TVH.
None of the previous ten movies was a summer blockbuster, except for NEM which aired in the winter. They won't cut down the action and that's why we won't see something epic with action and substance like TWOK, TUC or FC.
I am not anti-action, I wanna see sh*t blow up like any other guy but if it is just action like in the previous two movies than it is as bad as no action at all like in The Motionless Picture.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:54 PM
Federation Councillor

I don't want them to cut down the action anyway. It's not like it's always absent from the films or shows. Even the sleepfest INS had it. And 'Summer Blockbuster' isn't a pejorative in everyone's vocabulary.

The other film's may not have been so - release timing doesn't actually make them any better or worse in and of themselves. Only the film itself does that.

courtesy of Saquist

Last edited by kevin : 03-12-2011 at 01:01 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:19 PM
Fleet Admiral

Pure action movies are incompatible with the things you complained about, i.e. cheap tricks like putting Earth in danger anymore or the absence of patterns from TV Trek.
We don't need NEM or ST09 respectively the other extreme TMP. We need good movies and they won't come in next years as the cashcow strategy is very successful.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:22 PM
Federation Councillor

I said I didn't want Earth in danger again because it defeats the point of having a ship built for exploration, unless the Enterprise is exploring what in the films it frequently seems to - the dark, expansive and mysterious corners of the spacedock it's sitting in for that film. And also because it's a trick used in the last two films in succession (the blockbuster one and the non-blockbuster one)

It would just be a skoosh too repetitive for a third sequential film to have the same threat as part of it's plot.

I've also tried to explain before that the film (I'm leaving the more individual issue of whether it was 'good' or not alone, there's no real definitive answer to that because it depends on what the individual viewer wants to get out of a film vs what they actually do get from it sorta thing) wasn't really necesarily a cash cow from a financial business standpoint...........but oh, why waste the time going over it again.

courtesy of Saquist

Last edited by kevin : 03-12-2011 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:36 PM
Fleet Admiral

Cashcow products gotta create profit that can be invested in more risky projects. It's not a question of profitability, if you just want a high return on your capital you produce a Blair Witch Project copy like Paranormal Activity.

About earth in danger, the trick was used five times out of eleven and in both action movies but as you said it will most likely not be used in the next move just like Khan won't appear three times in a row.
I don't mind action movies, I have actually seen ST09 four times at the theatre and totally enjoyed it ... but I also enjoy junk food and can say nonetheless that it is no good food.

So let's not fool ourselves and expect an epic movie with substance like TWOK, TUC or FC. No, the next movie will be another very enjoyable rollercoaster ride.

Last edited by horatio : 03-12-2011 at 01:40 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:45 PM
Federation Councillor

You never know! Khan might. Plenty of fans seems to want him to. Or they used to from what I can recall. Of course, a whole host of them also wanted to have their favourite episode remade..................

And I don't think anyone is expecting anything vastly different to a degree. Yes it will be an action film and intended to be fun and entertaining. Whether people like them to be this or not, the majority of the earlier films fall into that same action/adventure genre within the sci-fi setting of the Trek universe, so there would be nothing wrong with that in principle. This has served some of the previous films well, and some of them not so well.

It depends on how you feel about each of the films. I don't particularly think that much of TUC nowadays (just because a film is held as having substance doesn't mean I actually personally enjoy sitting and watching it unfortunately, even though it is one of the more popular Trek films, but I enjoy TWOK and FC a lot) but that's irrelevant.

courtesy of Saquist

Last edited by kevin : 03-12-2011 at 01:55 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:54 PM
Fleet Admiral

I have never been much of a fan of TWOK but I realize that it is one of the best Trek movies. One can try to assess the quality of a movie without being too much influenced by one's preferences.

Well, even I don't believe that O&K would degrade to Khan Reloaded, no matter how many fans demand it. There is a reason we are on this side of the screen.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:57 PM
Fleet Admiral

I am really against Khan II. I think the best thing for this franchise now is for them to continue to create their own identity. New stories, new characters. There is little point in rehashing what has already been covered.

And you aren't going to top what they did with Khan. Just leave it alone, it's fine as it is.