The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Star Trek sequel news thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2011, 05:41 AM
Vice Admiral

Default Star Trek sequel news thread

jump to navigation

Orci: Star Trek Sequel Script To Be Delivered In Late March + Pegg: Shooting In August [UPDATED] February 12, 2011

by Anthony Pascale , Filed under: Orci/Kurtzman, Star Trek sequel (2012) , trackback
Today Star Trek sequel co-writer and producer Roberto Orci has given an update on plans for the script for the movie planned for a Summer 2012 release. Orci says that the writing team plan on turning it in late March. More details below. [UPDATE: And in other scheduling news, Simon Pegg says he plans to be shooting the Star Trek sequel in the August. More details below.]

Orci: Six weeks for Star Trek sequel script draft
The script for the planned 2012 Star Trek sequel is currently being worked on. On Thursday Bob posted a comment here at TrekMovie.com that he was "writing Trek as we speak!". Orci is working on the script with fellow producer/co-writers Damon Lindelof and Alex Kurtzman. And today, responding to a question posted on Twitter, Orci gave an estimate on when the team plan on handing in their first full draft:
Bob’s estimate would mean that the Star Trek sequel script draft would be handed in around the last week of March. Assuming standard procedure (and no major problems with script), once the draft is handed in, Paramount will begin the process to give the film a budget and move into pre-production. That time will also be the decision point for producer JJ Abrams on if he will also be returning to the director’s chair. Of course, work on the script can continue all the way up to production start (with more tweaking possible during shooting), but the studio needs a draft in order to create a budget and give the film the official greenlight.
UPDATE: Simon Pegg: Shooting Star Trek sequel in August
The last estimates for shooting to start on the film were to be the Summer of 2011, but recently it has been reported that might "slip a bit" in order to accommodate Chris Pine’s schedule. Earlier this week in an interview with BBC 1, Star Trek’s new Scotty Simon Pegg said that he will be doing "Star Trek in August" (thank to James for tip).
The Star Trek sequel is still scheduled to be released June 29th, 2012.

Space is disease and dangerous wrapped in darkness and silence-Leonard Bones McCoy
Old 02-24-2011, 06:15 AM
Vice Admiral

jump to navigation

Simon Pegg: New Star Trek Films “result of execs favouring familiarity” + New Paul Trailer

Space is disease and dangerous wrapped in darkness and silence-Leonard Bones McCoy
Old 02-24-2011, 09:32 AM
Federation Councillor

A little like the first respondent I can see both angles.

But remakes, reinventions, all that stuff is absolutely nothing new in terms of Hollywood and it hasn't been for decades. It doesn't mean that excellent and enjoyable films can't emerge out of the process (the remake of True Grit has worked very well both critically and financially as have multiple versions of Batman) and it will continue to happen.

It depends what's worse in terms of applying this to the Star Trek films - do a reboot because of stunted interest in what was being produced or continue with said increasingly decrepit series of TNG films? No mean choice for any studio exec who basically needs to do something with a franchise the studio doesn't want to put to bed.

And as another commentator remarks - many fans already have a list of favourite episodes they would like to see remade. So...........so much for a lack of originality from Hollywood alone.

courtesy of Saquist

Last edited by kevin : 02-24-2011 at 09:36 AM.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:59 PM
Fleet Admiral

Sometimes reboots work. I agree with Kevin that it worked in the case of Trek and with Batman. In fact, the Nolan Batman films are the only ones in that particular franchise that I like.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:14 PM
Fleet Admiral

There is nobody who minds a reboot per se. Some folks are only unhappy with the revisualization or the dumbing down that took place in this particular reboot.
Between Burton's and Nolan's Batman movies, which I personally all like as Burton's comic-book style is not worse for me than Nolan's hyperrealism, the very opposite happened, the scripts became better.
It's nothing new but versatile moviemakers like Nolan or Meyer who write, produce and direct, who are involved in all stages of moviemaking, are often better than those who specialize.

Last edited by horatio : 02-27-2011 at 02:17 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:48 AM
Federation Councillor

I think that clearly there's more than a few not happy about the existence of the alternate universe as well though. Sure the set design is also a factor as is the supposed dumbing down (which I can't entirely get on board with - I've seen too much Trek really) of it all, but some people just don't like the actual fact of the alternate itself, regardless of other issues.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 03-01-2011, 05:02 AM
Vice Admiral

True. I am not happy with the alternate universe. I'm not happy with the reboot. I'm not happy with the set designs. I'm not happy with the ship designs. I'm not happy with the dumbing down. I'm not happy with the stupid science. I'm not happy with the lack of respect for the past 40+ years of Trek history. I'm not happy with the changes made to characters' personalities and origins. I'm not happy with the fuglyprise. I'm not happy with the Tattoomulans. I'm not happy with Vulcan's destruction. I'm not happy with Amanda's pointless demise. I'm not happy with anything about STXI except Karl Urban. He was Bones. Very impressive. Otherwise, total and utter rubbish.

And Keesner sucks donkey toe cheese!!!!!

...Abrams...

Last edited by I-Am-Zim : 03-01-2011 at 05:15 AM.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:25 AM
Vice Admiral

wow I-Am-Zim that's very extreme guess you have a low tolerance and acceptance level

Old 03-01-2011, 08:36 AM
Vice Admiral

Trek needed new fans and new blood behind it, I know JJ and crew will do Star Trek Justice in the Sequals and I look foward to everything new.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:38 AM
Vice Admiral

I agree with this fan sorry if you have already made your mind about the utter and total rubbish reboot I-Am-Zim that's your opinion not mine thank god