The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > interiors test for my Galactica project...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2011, 12:27 PM
Fleet Admiral

Default interiors test for my Galactica project...

Here's another test shot from my upcoming Galactica project.

I built the interior Galactica corridors in just a few hours. The corridors were built using Blender, and the functioning doors were part of the iClone Starship Interiors package. At the end of the corridor in the second camera angle is a photographic plane, used to make the corridor look even more vast than it really is. I connected two corridor pieces, and then used the plane to create the illusion of a third.
The character walking in the corridor is Starbuck's new protegee, Lt. Shaen.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:22 PM
Fleet Admiral

Ok, I think I've finally licked part of the shadows issue. I have to use a single director light, and single point light, otherwise, the shadows disappear. Also, this means I'll have to shift the light sourcing when shooting in other parts of the corridor set, but that's not a major deal at all.

The first video, using "self-cast" shadowing, puts me in the mind of "ALIEN" or 1984's "DUNE". The second video looks much more correct, with "drop" shadow effects. I'm sure as I experiment further, I'll get even more dynamic effects. But for now, this looks really good in my opinion.

The ALIEN/ 1984's DUNE effect:

The more proper effect:

Old 02-17-2011, 06:43 AM
Commander

Very nice, what software are you using for it?
Old 02-17-2011, 12:26 PM
Fleet Admiral

Thanks, Roysten. I'm glad you like it.

To build the corridors and the little lights hanging on the wall supports, I used Blender. Final assembly, light manipulation, and animation were done with iClone PRO.

I built the corridors in just a few hours. (Thank God for redundant walls sometimes...LOL!)

Old 02-18-2011, 12:50 PM
Commander

I use Blender as well, not heard of IClone before.

I tried making a TNG style corridor last year, it worked quite well but can never the textures and shading to look realistic. Have also tried making a set of quarters as well.

What other stuff have you made?
Old 02-18-2011, 03:53 PM
Fleet Admiral

Conversely, Roysten, I haven't mastered texturing in Blender yet. All texture details I do are in iClone.

iClone is a 3D character and prop animation program created by a company called Reallusion. The iClone PRO version program costs probably around 200 to 250 bucks.

Other stuff I've made? I've posted some previous threads, but no one responded to them...(lack of interest, I'm guessing?). As soon as I learned the basics of Blender, I fabricated my first model in 5 days, the Colonial battlestar. After I built the major components, I assembled them in iClone. (After converting the ship from .obj to .vns using an app --also made by Reallusion-- called 3DEXChange). Then I did final assembly of the ship in iClone, and added certain hull details...like the red striping, and the engine and window glows.

After that, any models I built were done in less than half the time...on average, about two days per model, assuming I get enough "behind the keyboard" time in. I've made the Colonial Battlestar, the Cylon Basestar, the Colonial Viper, the Cylon Raider, Cylon Centurion armor, Colonial blaster pistol and rifle, Viper pilot helmet, and Colonial gunbelt with speed draw holster, Colonial Shuttle, and Colonial Landram.

My next construct will either be the Imperious Leader's throne room, or the Galactica's bridge.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:56 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Reminds me of a cross between the TOS corridors and the TMP/TNG corridors.

--ADMIRAL JONATHAN ARCHER--

Old 02-18-2011, 09:57 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Archer View Post
Reminds me of a cross between the TOS corridors and the TMP/TNG corridors.
They do, don't they? And the funny thing is, if you look carefully at the second camera angle in the videos, you'll notice that I used a Star Trek TMP trick to make the corridors look even more vast. I placed a plane at the end of the second corridor segment, and it is simply an image of another corridor section, so that it looks like the corridor goes on even further than it actually does. Just like in the engineering section of Star Trek TMP.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:08 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
They do, don't they? And the funny thing is, if you look carefully at the second camera angle in the videos, you'll notice that I used a Star Trek TMP trick to make the corridors look even more vast. I placed a plane at the end of the second corridor segment, and it is simply an image of another corridor section, so that it looks like the corridor goes on even further than it actually does. Just like in the engineering section of Star Trek TMP.
You'll see that same trick on DS9 too.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:22 AM
Fleet Admiral

And an efficient trick it is, too.