The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > I need some Trek advice.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2008, 07:50 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Default I need some Trek advice.

I've always been a fan of the Star Trek movies and I was a huge fan of TNG when it was on. But only recently have I started to branch out and check into some of the other Trek offerings. I bought TOS on DVD and I'm absolutely loving it. I don't know how I managed to ignore it for as long as I did. It has only deepened my appreciation for these characters that I already loved through the first six movies.
Now I'm ready to move on to another series. I want to get either Voyager or Enterprise. Eventually I will get them all, but those two are next on my list.
Which do you suggest I get first and why?
Old 03-17-2008, 08:49 PM
Admiral

What's your financial situation? Are we talking unlimited resources or will you have to pick one thing and stick to it for years? (also...when we start the meat eating, will you be wanting prime?)

I'm more of a Voyager fan, but I sort of suspect that Enterprise, especially the latter seasons, would be more useful for you at this time. The new movie is almost certainly going to reference Enterprise in some way, so having seen it will make for a richer experience.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 03-17-2008, 09:36 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Funds are definitely not unlimited. If they were I would just buy them all and take it at my liesure. As it stands, I will probably need to buy one season at a time and build my collection slowly. I'm inclined to agree with you about Enterprise. With the new movie coming out Enterprise might just be the way to go.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:45 PM
Admiral

Cannibal, you should also definitely check out DS9. Lots of people seem to be debating in DS9 threads whether or not it's Trek, but it has a lot to offer, but first, I agree with Eliza, you should check out Enterprise. Voyager is the one I could never really get into to. I've seen all the episodes but the characters and cast just never clicked for me. The cast of DS9 and TNG are fantastic in my opinion and of course TOS. But yeah I'd go for Enterprise and then hit DS9. Don't take offense at that, I don't wanna get eaten or anything!

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 03-17-2008, 10:03 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

lol
No worries. You're safe... for now. That sounds like good advice. It looks like Enterprise is the way to go right now. I did watch DS9 some while it was on and always liked it. I'll definitely be getting it eventually. I think right now I'm more interested in Enterprise and Voyager just because I'm not really familiar with them at all. I'm just looking for something new to dig on. Know what I'm saying?
Old 03-18-2008, 04:05 AM
Admiral

Oh yeah I hear you. You know, Cannibal, I was thinking, it may be better actually to watch Voyager before DS9. Voyager does feel very much more like a star trek show. It's from a federation starship, they do find new life and new civilizations so it is very much more trek-like than DS9.

I like DS9 more, it's the first show that's told outside the perspective of the federation. All the other shows are from the view point of the bridge of a federation ship, DS9 is from the pov of the people who live on that station and many of them are not part of the federation so it does give you an interesting perspective on the world trek takes place in, so yeah, after Enterprise, I'd go with Voyager and then hit DS9!

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 03-18-2008, 04:09 AM
Federation Councillor

Yes DS9, you can buy all seven seasons at a local 1/2 price books type store for around $50-$70 used.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:01 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
I've always been a fan of the Star Trek movies and I was a huge fan of TNG when it was on. But only recently have I started to branch out and check into some of the other Trek offerings. I bought TOS on DVD and I'm absolutely loving it. I don't know how I managed to ignore it for as long as I did. It has only deepened my appreciation for these characters that I already loved through the first six movies.
Now I'm ready to move on to another series. I want to get either Voyager or Enterprise. Eventually I will get them all, but those two are next on my list.
Which do you suggest I get first and why?
Neither. Get DS9 first. Then flip a quarter for the other two.