The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Films > Movies (I - X) > Where was Valeris during the battle?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2010, 09:44 AM
Rear Admiral

Default Where was Valeris during the battle?

Was she in the brig or confined to quarters? I mean, I know she was somewhere on the Enterprise, but remember right after Kirk destroys Chang's bird-of-prey, the main crew beams down and we don't see her. Could she have been beamed down shortly after Kirk and party arrived at Khitomer? In the next scene, right before McCoy says, "We've got a full confession." Spock is holding Valeris by the arm. Where was she during the battle and when did she beam down? I did read the book, and I'm sure it explains it there, but that was a while ago.

J.J. "Binks" Abrams is taking over sci-fi!
Fans Expendable
Old 06-27-2010, 11:05 PM
Commander

You know I never even thought of that. Are our attention spans really that short?

Old 06-28-2010, 06:40 AM
Captain

Cool

One would presume the obvious, that she was in the brig.

I doubt Chekov would have trusted her to be confined to quarters.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:26 AM
Lieutenant Commander

i think if i remeber right mr spock did a mind meld with her or something like that during the scene
Old 06-28-2010, 08:07 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbase63 View Post
One would presume the obvious, that she was in the brig.

I doubt Chekov would have trusted her to be confined to quarters.
There might have been "other" unknown conspirators on the Enterprise that could have helped her to escape. I'm guessing that she was in personal custody of a trusted command officer that did not immediately beam down with the first landing team. Chekov did beam down with Kirk's group. I see Spock, Uhura, Scotty, and Bones appearing in the landing party at beam down. Valeris did not appear until Cartwright is told to "arrest yourself!" She then appears with Spock. My guess is that she was beamed down along with Sulu's landing party. To have shown up any sooner in the chaos that was happening, she could have made her own escape. No one really knew who was actively involved with the conspiracy. There were probably others at the conference eager to get away also.

Just my best guess.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:38 AM
Commander

What would be the 'logic' in her trying to escape? She's been caught, and she knows it. She picked the wrong side, she believed in it, but as a Vulcan she would still have pride and accountability. But I agree that you wouldn't beam her down while trying to secure the conference hall... it wouldn't be military operating procedure. Even if she didn't escape, she's a loyal conspirator who could still muck things up.

Last edited by samwiseb : 06-28-2010 at 08:58 AM.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:00 AM
Federation Councillor

Unless, maybe there is (or was intended to be) something more in unshot footage or original script. In terms of the film, she really doesn't need to be there at all anyway. Unless it's merely to remind viewers 'who' the confession was extracted from in the first place.

But that makes little sense since the finale happened so soon after the extraction and the line could simply have been 'We have a recorded confession from Lt Valeris' or something similar.

I'll chalk it up to a snafu somewhere.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 06-28-2010, 09:05 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwiseb View Post
What would be the 'logic' in her trying to escape? She's been caught, and she knows it. She picked the wrong side, she believed in it, but as a Vulcan she would still have pride and accountability. But I agree that you wouldn't beam her down while trying to secure the conference hall... it wouldn't be military operating procedure. Even if she didn't escape, she's a loyal conspirator who could still muck things up.
What would have been the logic in remaining caught? She was part of a conspiracy and could have been forced to reveal more information. As a prisoner, other unknown conspirators would have opportunity to "take care of her" to silence any further revelations. Escape would have been dangerous, probably a bounty would have been on her head from several groups, but she had better chances of surviving.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:25 AM
Rear Admiral

I wonder if she would prefer death than having to live with a conspiracy for the rest of her life? I mean, not only would she be dishonorable discharged from Starfleet, she would also not be welcome to Vulcan. I'm guessing she was the only Vulcan to have been part of the conspiracy.

J.J. "Binks" Abrams is taking over sci-fi!
Fans Expendable

Last edited by Quark : 06-28-2010 at 11:28 AM.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:00 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quark View Post
I wonder if she would prefer death than having to live with a conspiracy for the rest of her life? I mean, not only would she be dishonorable discharged from Starfleet, she would also not be welcome to Vulcan. I'm guessing she was the only Vulcan to have been part of the conspiracy.

In the novelization, she was raised for (all?) her life off world and had not been heavily practiced in the Vulcan disciplines. If she were the only Vulcan to be a part of the conspiracy, that might have been a good reason why she became a part of it. Though Vulcans have been shown in the TV series to be capable of covert manipulations to keep things "logical".