The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Uniforms/Academy
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2008, 09:27 AM
Captain

Anybody notice the banners?

Old 03-18-2008, 09:37 AM
Lieutenant

*giggles uncontrolably!!!*

omgeeee im so excited. Im not so sure how i feel about uniforms being all one color, not from a canon perspective, just from a design choice perspective, but that car looks darn cool.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:41 AM
Federation Councillor

neat shot!
Old 03-18-2008, 09:49 AM
Commander

think there’s something very subtle in the costume designs here.
I noticed, among other things, that the skirts on the dark uniforms are longer than the skirts on th red ones.
It appears they are visually distinguishing between the two “generations” at the academy.
The older generation, the Grey-black uniforms, look like instructors and officers at the academy, teaching the students all they need to know for graduation. They have a very distinct 40s vibe, like the older generation.
The students, or cadets, in Red, have shorter skirts, and look more like the Starfleet uniforms of the original series.
I don’t think they are going for Facists, aka imperial officers from Star Wars, as has been suggested.
I think it’s aimed more at evoking an older generation, with the new generation trying new things, with more open minds, and boldly going where no man has gone before.
This is at the heart of Star Trek, and at the heart of the 60s. This movie might be a commentary on the 60s through the lens of Star Trek.
I am 99% sure that JJ Abrams has captured the very soul of both here.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:55 AM
Federation Councillor

Sounds very possible OneBuck!
Old 03-18-2008, 09:55 AM
Fleet Admiral

Consider this lumped in with the potential SPOILER ALERT info, just in case...

Does anyone else find the uniformity of these uniforms odd? If this is the Academy (my first guess as well), does the entire population there wear one of two uniform designs? And the uniforms seem to have a complete lack of detail to them: men in jumpsuits, women wear skirts, some have hats.

My suspicion is: either this is a background plate of a very wide shot (implied by the extensive blue screen and partial columns standing), or this is a plate which might be CG-enhanced later to augment their uniforms. I think the first option is more likely, since they wouldn't sew one stitch of detail on these outfits more than would be visible on-screen. Also those banners are printed so incredibly subtly, the design would never register on-screen without some CG overlay.

I can't help but wonder if this is Abrams' way of filming plates but not giving away the actual look of uniforms... just because of such on-set spies.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 03-18-2008, 09:59 AM
Fleet Admiral

I'm amazed...

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 03-18-2008, 09:59 AM
Federation Councillor

Mission, I would tend to agree!
Old 03-18-2008, 10:09 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
Consider this lumped in with the potential SPOILER ALERT info, just in case...

Does anyone else find the uniformity of these uniforms odd? If this is the Academy (my first guess as well), does the entire population there wear one of two uniform designs? And the uniforms seem to have a complete lack of detail to them: men in jumpsuits, women wear skirts, some have hats.

My suspicion is: either this is a background plate of a very wide shot (implied by the extensive blue screen and partial columns standing), or this is a plate which might be CG-enhanced later to augment their uniforms. I think the first option is more likely, since they wouldn't sew one stitch of detail on these outfits more than would be visible on-screen. Also those banners are printed so incredibly subtly, the design would never register on-screen without some CG overlay.

I can't help but wonder if this is Abrams' way of filming plates but not giving away the actual look of uniforms... just because of such on-set spies.
My hunch is that the uniforms don't need to be super-detailed. The image is a little blurred, so we can't see the uniforms as detailed.

I don't see why academy cadets would have a wide variety of uniforms. They don't in the military.

Thise in the gray, 40s style are likely instructors. Those with insignia might be department heads, and all of the cadets would be wearing red, 60s style uniforms.

Anyway, there wasn't much "detail" in the Original Series uniforms. No need for anything to be overcomplicated.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:12 AM
Fleet Admiral

True, but these uniforms lack even insignia, which would be the one detail you'd think a uniform would have, especially at this presumed location. Again, this is just a hunch, but these look like uniforms a digital graphics program or arist can easily pull off the plate. Hair-brained scheme, out!

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!