The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > My first ACTUAL 3D model build...the battlestar Galactica made with Blender
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2010, 10:20 PM
Admiral

Old school basestar or new basestar?

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 12-28-2010, 10:20 AM
Fleet Admiral

Old school. It shouldn't take me half as long to make the basestar, as it's details are generally repeated throughout its design.

I do, eventually, plan to try my hand at the new series ships....since I have a fanfic that combines elements of both old school and new school BSG.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:14 PM
Admiral

Can't wait to see it! The new Basestars would be tough I'd imagine. They're very organic-looking compared to everything else in Galactica; new and old.

Just watched the 3 parter finale to the new BSG last night for the first time in a long time, probably since I first got the last season on DVD. That was some three hours of fantastic television!

Old 12-28-2010, 02:02 PM
Fleet Admiral

Oh, yeah! Loved the show....both of 'em.
One of my fave eps from the new show was the start of the third or fourth season where the Galactica and Pegasus rescue the Colonials from New Caprica after the Cylon invasion. The action sequence in that episode was big screen epic...especially seeing the Galactica plummeting through the atmosphere, launching Vipers and then FTL'ing away. And watching the Pegasus come guns blazing to the rescue and colliding with a basestar....exquisite!

Old 12-28-2010, 09:14 PM
Admiral

Yeah no kidding! The Adama maneuver! That had to be one of the few times in television where you really felt like you were watching something on the big screen! Also I think the ending of the third season is quite something special, with Baltar's trial. That whole episode had three or four endings within 20 minutes that most series would be fortunate to pull off once for a season finale.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:25 PM
Fleet Admiral

Some video test footage of the battlestar.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:55 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Hey Martok,

I have never seen the original or the new Battlestar Galactica shows, so I can't comment on this personally, but my dad has seen the original, so I showed your 3D model to him. Apparently way back when, he used to own a plastic model kit of this when he was younger. His main criticism of your 3D model was the central section (whatever it's called-if it were an enterprise, I'd call it the stardrive) attached to those two nacelle-looking things, was a lot thicker on his original model. I did some research into the show, but couldn't find any good pictures of what he was talking about, nor do I know what company produced his model kit. Now I'm left with more questions, as it seems from one of the earlier comments that the ship was supposed to be leaner in the original show. Do you think my dad's model kit was improperly proportioned? Or do you think that maybe he was right, and the ship's central section should be thicker? I'll leave it up to you to decide.

--ADMIRAL JONATHAN ARCHER--

Old 02-18-2011, 09:52 PM
Fleet Admiral

Hi Admiral Archer,

With all respect and deference to your dad, I'll have to say, I too have the plastic model kit of the Galactica, and ultimately, it is the most inaccurate piece of felgercarb ever put out. The 3 inch Konami miniatures (of which I have Galactica and Pegasus, and the Cylon Basestar) are tens of times more accurate, detailed, and properly proportioned than the AMT kit, and serve as a large part of the basis for what I built my Blender battlestars/basestars around. If your dad has the AMT/Ertl kit, it's the same as mine. It lacks a LOT of hull detail, especially on the sides of the main hull, and is far thicker than the television model.

Now, there was a time when a third party company was releasing side add-on panels for the AMT kit that were pretty decently detailed, and added much life to the plastic model kit, but the proportions of the AMT model are still way off.

Again, please tell your dad I mean no disrespect whatsoever. (He certainly has a great taste in shows. ) There is a small place in my heart for the 12 inch plastic model kit, but, it is egregiously under detailed and inaccurate. Ask him sometime to watch an original series episode, and have the model with him, and he'll see the differences sure enough. But. thank you for pointing my model out to him. That was most flattering.

Now, I'm not going to say that I've made THE most accurate model of the Galactica (classic) ever. Believe you me, there are those out there who have done far greater and more detailed renders than I have (I'm still learning this stuff...LOL). But, to the defense of all of us who deal in virtual modeling, there are far too many photos of practical models of the Big G out there, and none of them are the same....so, there will always be discrepancies in the scale and sizing of the models, especially in the virtual realm. So, I think it'll be safe to say that no two virtual battlestars are going to be the same, let alone, be completely 100 percent accurate.

Last edited by martok2112 : 02-18-2011 at 09:56 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:09 PM
Commander

Lovely, great effort
Old 02-19-2011, 07:16 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Martok,

The internet would be a better place if more people were as well-mannered as you are! As it is, my dad was worried he'd offend you, so he wanted me to be sure to let you know that he hasn't seen the show in years, and even when it was out he only had the model kit for reference outside the show (my dad has never really been one for details, anyway LOL).

I think everyone here respects your attempts, and I personally think from what photos I've seen of the show that you've put in a lot of effort to get the ship to look as screen-accurate as possible. I wish to add that my dad also had a model kit of the refit Enterprise from the first Star Trek movie (the first AMT kit, with the smooth surface detailing and light up saucer) and he loved both models, having told me and my brother many stories about them. Unfortunately he no longer has them, as he has moved around several times in the past 30 odd years, so I can only imagine what they looked like at one time. Anyway, just thought I'd share this with you. So here's to good memories, and ill-proportioned plastic.

--ADMIRAL JONATHAN ARCHER--