The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Tron Legacy
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2010, 10:45 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enterprise Captain View Post
Spoilers
Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
Did you not see the original film?
I didn't see the first movie.
I found this movies explanation a bit confusing. I thought I saw multiple Clue's at some point in the retelling of what had happened before. Or perhaps the whole group that was clue.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:15 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
I didn't see the first movie.
I found this movies explanation a bit confusing. I thought I saw multiple Clue's at some point in the retelling of what had happened before. Or perhaps the whole group that was clue.
In the flashback Clu 2 and Kevin Flynn were wearing the same outfit and Flynn was still young so he looked the same as Clu 2. There was only the two of them though. It's not as clear in Legacy as it is in the original Tron but programs look like their users at the time the user creates them.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:33 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enterprise Captain View Post
In the flashback Clu 2 and Kevin Flynn were wearing the same outfit and Flynn was still young so he looked the same as Clu 2. There was only the two of them though. It's not as clear in Legacy as it is in the original Tron but programs look like their users at the time the user creates them.

Indeed. It's not spoon fed to the audience in the first movie that programs look like the users who created them. It just happens to be a matter of fact that the audience adapts to.

In the second movie, I did think it was a bit self-flattering/self-aggrandizing of Flynn to say he made Clu in "his own image".

Old 12-21-2010, 03:23 PM
Fleet Admiral

There were two Clue's

Old 12-21-2010, 11:16 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
There were two Clue's
Yes, there was Clu in the original Tron, and then Clu (a second version) that he made in Tron Legacy.

Old 12-22-2010, 06:30 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
There were two Clue's
You really need to watch the original. It will help explain a lot. I watched the original in the theater 28 years ago and thought it was awesome! And I watched it again before going to see the new one. It will be enlightening.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:13 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
In the second movie, I did think it was a bit self-flattering/self-aggrandizing of Flynn to say he made Clu in "his own image".
I think Flynn's statement was the opposite actually because Flynn goes on to say that Clu couldn't understand how important the ISOs were because Flynn himself at the time he programmed Clu didn't know the ISOs were possible. Flynn wanted to create a perfect system and programmed that idea in to Clu but because the ISOs souldn't have been possible Clu sees them as imperfect and a flaw in the system. Flynn however sees the ISOs as a new form of life and important. I believe the idea being conveyed is that everyone has a different vision of perfection so what is perfection? I believe Flynn tells Sam on the solar sailor something on the lines that he realized perfection is all around us and perhaps we should stop trying to find or create our individual visions of perfection and just enjoy what we have around us. I believe this falls in to the sort of Zen theme of the film. I think on the surface the film seems pretty simple but if you look at the undertones it has more to say. Or maybe I'm just over analyzing things.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:36 AM
Fleet Admiral

One of his comments was simply....How could I know what was perfect being imperfect.
and then he said earlier that if Clu got loose in the real world full of imperfection it would be disaster.

Old 12-22-2010, 11:22 AM
Commander

Quote:
One of his comments was simply....How could I know what was perfect being imperfect.
and then he said earlier that if Clu got loose in the real world full of imperfection it would be disaster.
I've only seen it the once and I couldn't remember the exact line but that's right. Which is interesting because Flynn forgives Clu for that reason. That is the opposite of what the Bible teaches. The Bible says a perfect being created us in his image and then condemned us for being imperfect.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:53 AM
Fleet Admiral

Part of a conversation between Flynn and Clu reminded me of a coversation between Emperor Marcus Aurelius and his son Commodus in Gladiator.

Flynn was apologizing to Clu for how things worked out, and by extension, how that made Clu evolve into the way he was.

That conversation kinda gave me this impression:

The Emperor telling Commodus how his son's faults were the Emperor's own failings as a father.

I also liked how Flynn's cave dwelling in the grid reminded me of a simpler version of Dave Bowman's house interior at the end of 2001: A Space Odyssey.