The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > I feel sorry for Nero's crew
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2010, 09:19 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
I didn't read the novel. I just saw the movie. And it didn't look that way to me. NuKirk-The-Jerk didn't even try. If you watch the movie, the "black hole" was at the center of the Narada. It was tearing the Narada to bits. It was quite obvious in the excellent cgi sfx that the Narada was being crumbled into little, tiny bite-size morsels by the force of the black hole thingy. Instead of trying to rescue any of the crew that might not have wanted to die, NuKirk-The-Jerk just opened fire on a completely and utterly helpless ship that was being consumed anyway. And to top it off, he sat there and watched the destruction instead of getting his ship the frak out of the gravity well! Talk about stuuuuuuuuuuuupid!!!!! He most certainly didn't come close to deserving that ridiculously rapid promotion. He was an idiot.

But, that was the writers' fault that NuKirk-The-Idiot-Jerk was nothing like his original counterpart.
So we get two different viewpoints from the same scene....the beauty of being unique, and not like minded.

Of course, in the end, they are only opinions.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:30 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
I know...........what a waste of boots.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:18 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
So we get two different viewpoints from the same scene....the beauty of being unique, and not like minded.

Very true. And TBH, I wrote that last night while I was "hitting the sauce" so to speak. I'm surprised there aren't more typos and profanity.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:20 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR585 View Post
Well, they were all flagrantly flaunting you favorite footwear when they were furiously flayed by the flashy FX
Old 12-14-2010, 07:33 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Well, they were all flagrantly flaunting you favorite footwear when they were furiously flayed by the flashy FX
Suddenly, the cheesy versions of the Batman villains (Joker, Penguin, Riddler) come to mind. LOL!

Old 12-14-2010, 09:16 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post

There's many ways in which to view the scene. It entirely depends upon your own viewpoint.

I might say that Kirk quite clearly offered Starfleet assistance to the ship.........(did he mean it? Did he want to? Irrelevant - he offered the help as he was bound to do and had his reasons for doing so).

Spock raises an objection to the offer of assistance (tracking his journey in the film this is not entirely without reason). However, it's not his decision anyway - whether he's giving in to 'bloodlust' or offering a counter opinion to the Captain - it remains Kirk's to make.

If Nero had accepted help - it would have been given and Spock would have likely played a part in doing so. However Nero was not prepared to accept assistance - which in the grand scheme is probably for the better.

What was the Federation going to do with him anyway? Go public? You have a man that no-one knows in this timeline who came from 130 years in the future and destroyed a key planet? How do you tell the public a time traveller did that? Do you tell billions of people they are now living in an alternate reality? Do you actually go that far?

Come to think of it - does Joe Q. Public in the Federation know how much time travel goes on around them anyway? Or is it a Starfleet secret? Has that ever been gone over?

Unless they were going to cover up his existence entirely and create a cover story for the destruction of Vulcan - which they probably would have had to.

Anyway..........I digress. He refused help (as villains are want to do in these films anyway) and so he remains a danger if he lives or gets through the second singularity. There has to be assurance that the ship and it's crew do not survive to possibly appear in another time frame and be able to cause more damage.

The only option left is ensuring the complete destruction of the ship and crew to prevent the potential for more damage. Since that's the way he wants it..........well to quote Guns 'n' Roses.........'Well, that's the way he gets it'.

Of course, they could have tried forcible beaming (but really, what are the odds that transporters would work on a ship being torn apart by a singularity? I doubt what would arrive on the transporter pad would be pretty and even if it works you still then have to do something with a man who represents a huge problem when it comes to telling people what happened). They could have even put a line in saying that the transporters were not going to work.

None of which comes from the novelisation..........as I haven't read it.........just my reading of the sequence.

No more or less than anyone else's.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 12-14-2010, 09:18 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Very true. And TBH, I wrote that last night while I was "hitting the sauce" so to speak. I'm surprised there aren't more typos and profanity.
Drunk typing..............I bet that can be as pitfall ridden as drunk-dialling!

courtesy of Saquist
Old 12-14-2010, 11:00 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Drunk typing..............I bet that can be as pitfall ridden as drunk-dialling!
Zim, I feel ya'. Been there, done that.
Kev, I speak from experience. You're right!

Old 12-14-2010, 01:57 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Like this?

Old 12-15-2010, 05:03 AM
Vice Admiral

Yep.