The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > I feel sorry for Nero's crew
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2010, 10:52 PM
Lieutenant

Default I feel sorry for Nero's crew

They all died because of Nero's arrogance ("I would rather die than accept help from you")

I feel sorry for them. I'm sure they would have liked to have been saved
Old 12-13-2010, 12:55 AM
Lieutenant

I think this is one of the reasons that Kirk and Spock's brutal decision to fire on Nero's helpless ship without further explanation seems like a potential war crime to some (the Nazis were ordered to do something similar when they started to lose the WWII). Nero's crew that we see actively helping him were certainly complicit in his genocide but we don't know (or rather Kirk and Spock don't know) if any of the Romulans have had children in the last 25 years, if there are any prisoners on board etc. I think Kirk should have been shown trying to beam the crew off the ship and failing due to the gravitational distortions and then Nero attempting to blast the Enterprise but the gravity draws his torpedoes back so that his own hatred destroys him. This would have had a better feeling of poetic justice than the 'eye for an eye' sense of satisfaction displayed by Kirk and Spock.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:28 AM
Vice Admiral

I agree 100% with that. That scene painted NuKirk and NuSpock as rather ruthless and cruel. I'm sure that never occurred to O&K when they were writing that scene. But that's the sense I got. It make me like NuKirk even less than I did before. Not only is he an arrogant jerk, he's a cruel, heartless, arrogant jerk.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:13 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauln6 View Post
I think this is one of the reasons that Kirk and Spock's brutal decision to fire on Nero's helpless ship without further explanation seems like a potential war crime to some (the Nazis were ordered to do something similar when they started to lose the WWII). Nero's crew that we see actively helping him were certainly complicit in his genocide but we don't know (or rather Kirk and Spock don't know) if any of the Romulans have had children in the last 25 years, if there are any prisoners on board etc. I think Kirk should have been shown trying to beam the crew off the ship and failing due to the gravitational distortions and then Nero attempting to blast the Enterprise but the gravity draws his torpedoes back so that his own hatred destroys him. This would have had a better feeling of poetic justice than the 'eye for an eye' sense of satisfaction displayed by Kirk and Spock.
Well said. If Kirk had been serious and not just pretended to be nice for strategical reasons (he said something like showing good will might ease relations with the Romulan Empire) and if Spock hadn't icely expressed his desire for revenge, if they had said that they can't risk that the Narada survives this black hole and just done their sad duty it would have felt totally different than this ugly "slaughter the baddy" scene.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:02 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR585 View Post
They all died because of Nero's arrogance ("I would rather die than accept help from you")

I know...........what a waste of boots.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 12-13-2010, 01:35 PM
Fleet Admiral

In the novel, it is said something to the effect of (in the narrative) "history could not say that Kirk did not act with forbearance and mercy".

Kirk offered Nero the chance for survival....Nero refused out of blind hatred (and knowing he would be put on trial for his war crimes)....Kirk gave Nero what he deserved. Kirk did not take the chance that Nero could somehow pull away from the black hole, or even in the Narada's dying moments continue to be a threat, so Kirk acted properly by ensuring that the Narada was no longer a threat.

Kirk's actions may have been part retribution, but they were also pragmatic. That's how I see it. That's how I would've done it if I were Kirk.

Besides, as someone else pointed out earlier, the black hole may have inhibited transporter ops.

Old 12-13-2010, 02:02 PM
Fleet Admiral

You'll have to wait for the next re-boot

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 12-13-2010, 02:16 PM
Fleet Admiral

He said he wanted to die in agony. He died better!

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 12-13-2010, 04:42 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
In the novel, it is said something to the effect of (in the narrative) "history could not say that Kirk did not act with forbearance and mercy".

Kirk offered Nero the chance for survival....Nero refused out of blind hatred (and knowing he would be put on trial for his war crimes)....Kirk gave Nero what he deserved. Kirk did not take the chance that Nero could somehow pull away from the black hole, or even in the Narada's dying moments continue to be a threat, so Kirk acted properly by ensuring that the Narada was no longer a threat.

Kirk's actions may have been part retribution, but they were also pragmatic. That's how I see it. That's how I would've done it if I were Kirk.

Besides, as someone else pointed out earlier, the black hole may have inhibited transporter ops.
I didn't read the novel. I just saw the movie. And it didn't look that way to me. NuKirk-The-Jerk didn't even try. If you watch the movie, the "black hole" was at the center of the Narada. It was tearing the Narada to bits. It was quite obvious in the excellent cgi sfx that the Narada was being crumbled into little, tiny bite-size morsels by the force of the black hole thingy. Instead of trying to rescue any of the crew that might not have wanted to die, NuKirk-The-Jerk just opened fire on a completely and utterly helpless ship that was being consumed anyway. And to top it off, he sat there and watched the destruction instead of getting his ship the frak out of the gravity well! Talk about stuuuuuuuuuuuupid!!!!! He most certainly didn't come close to deserving that ridiculously rapid promotion. He was an idiot.

But, that was the writers' fault that NuKirk-The-Idiot-Jerk was nothing like his original counterpart.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:42 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR585 View Post

They died because they didn't have enough common sense to ..

a) take over the ship
b) get off the ship
c) following Nero in the first place

I don't feel anything for them. That's just stupid...