The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Star Trek VS Star Wars
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2008, 02:08 PM
Fleet Admiral

OMG...

OH The contrast...I'll go for that Red ShirtWalk.
The realism of Trek kinda dominates.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:26 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShirtWalking View Post
Allow me to draw a distinction between my two favorite quotes from each "universe":

"But I wanted to go up to Toshi Station and get some new power converters!" - Luke Skywalker, whining to Uncle Owen

"...to boldly go where no man has gone before." - James T. Kirk

I'll take Trek anyday, thanks.

LOL
Those may be your favorite quotes, but going for fairness in comparing the actual series, you'd have to select "May the Force be with you" as much more representative of SW overall philosophy and impact.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!

Last edited by MissionTrek08 : 03-19-2008 at 12:11 AM.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:14 PM

"Do or do not, there is no try!", "I find your lack of faith disturbing.", "The Emperor is not as forgiving as i am.", "Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering." Star Wars had plenty of good quotes that define it. So does Star Trek. I love them both. But Star Trek has a special place in my heart. It was there when i was a child, when i was a teen, a young man, middle aged and finally old. Star Wars is a great series of films, but Star Trek is more than that, it's like an old friend.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:39 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
Those may be your favorite quotes, but going for fairness in comparing the actual series, you'd have to select "May the Force bet with you" as much more representative of SW overall philosophy and impact.

I think...A long Time Ago in a Galaxy Far Far Away is a better quote...
but he's right...Star War's is very childish. Trek is serious and level headed.

Old 03-19-2008, 02:56 AM
Midshipman

I have been sitting back for the last few days just watching to see where this would go. And I think it is very intersting. I think that the two worlds are so different, and should be appreated for there differeces.

I love the humanity in Star Trek, that Star Trek is something that you could possible belive could happen in the future. I love the whole exploring aspect of the show. I also think that the prime derctive is really cool, and how they get around it and defend it as well.

As for Star Wars, I like that it is bigger then life. I love the lightsaber fights, espically in the last moive. (but could you imagine a kiligon as a dark jedi) I like that Star Wars does not deal that much with the way things work, and trying to figure ways out of things by messing with the hyperdrive.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:57 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
Those may be your favorite quotes, but going for fairness in comparing the actual series, you'd have to select "May the Force be with you" as much more representative of SW overall philosophy and impact.
Nooooooo...no, I wouldn't.

My overall point is that Luke Skywalker is a whiny b!tch. LOL I didn't say it was about overall philosophy and impact; it was the quote that stuck with me the most---and, for Luke, that was it.

The point was to convey that Kirk was "the man" and Luke was a whiner. I never wanted the comparison to be fair because, in my book, Trek will always win.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:44 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

Well, when you look at the two different stories that each universe is telling, the choice becomes obvious. In Star Wars, the story concerns a race of super powered beings that manipulate a power of the universe to their own ends. As such, a lot of innocent people get killed. (Alderan, sandpeople, learners, other jedi) Yet, oddly, no matter how many planets and tribes, or individuals you murder, or how much pain and misery you inflict, all is forgiven if you turn away from the dark side before you die. (similar to some Earthly religions)

With Trek, you have common, everyday people working for a better way of life. They make mistakes, and they are prone to the same temptations that you and I are, but they have a code they live by. Although they live within a Federation, individuality and personal growth is stressed in importance.

Yeah, I'll take Trek over Wars any day.

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:58 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShirtWalking View Post
Nooooooo...no, I wouldn't.

My overall point is that Luke Skywalker is a whiny b!tch. LOL I didn't say it was about overall philosophy and impact; it was the quote that stuck with me the most---and, for Luke, that was it.

The point was to convey that Kirk was "the man" and Luke was a whiner. I never wanted the comparison to be fair because, in my book, Trek will always win.
I'm not attempting to change your mind at all, friend. I merely pointed out that you focus on one aspect of Luke at his weakest and most ineffective state of character -- which is the entire point of his story, to grow beyond that whiner state. Luke ends up destroying the Death Star when no one else could, and later destroys the entire Empire, saving the entire galaxy.

Sounds a lot like what Kirk did as Captain.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 03-19-2008, 04:55 PM
Admiral

Star Trek Vs. Starwars

Who's gonna win this one?

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 03-20-2008, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhanner View Post
Me, I like Trek better cause it gives me hope for the future. Star Wars just makes me want to smooch Harrison Ford.
I always wanted to smooch Tasha Yar. I wanted to go where Data had been before.