The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Star Trek VS Star Wars
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2008, 05:40 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Star Wars will always be my favorite thing ever
no doubt
but trek is still awesome

and I agree with OregonCoast, they are like apples and oranges
Old 03-17-2008, 05:47 PM
Admiral

I see what your saying Jenhanner, when I watch Trek, I feel like I'm watching what we may be like in three hundred years, it's much easier to relate it to modern day issues. Starwars is separate, I see it much more similar to Lord of the Rings or mythology than Trek and that's why it's very difficult for me to compare them, but I like both very much, just in different ways, I think they both speak to different things.

Oh Jenhanner, regarding Starwars; smooch Harrison Ford, no, Leia in the metal bikini, yes.

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 03-17-2008, 06:30 PM
Vice Admiral

Smooch both! Just keep Luke away from the action.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:45 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I grew up on Star Wars. Twenty years ago I would have voted Star Wars hands down. But Star Trek is consistently good. The world of Trek continues to give us new stories and new adventures on the big AND small screens. You might like Enterprise better than Voyager and you might not care for DS9, but you're still watching and you're STILL a fan. This is something Star Wars can't claim. I tried to sit down and watch Episode I last week and I just couldn't get through it. Nothing will ever match the legendary status of the original Star Wars Trilogy. But Star Trek is much better for repeated viewings and has MUCH more variety of material to offer.
My vote goes to Trek.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:02 PM
Fleet Admiral

too bad there wasn't a poll with three options

Old 03-17-2008, 10:57 PM
Fleet Admiral

I don't mean to break the 'rules' of your original post, but I cannot compare ST to SW for one simple reason:

TREK is science fiction, and SW is fantasy. Neither franchise indulges in nor obeys the laws which the other embodies wholeheartedly.

I'm old enough to have liked them in order: TOS got me interested in science fiction and space while I was growing up in the Space Age; SW got me interested in filmmaking and special effects.

As others have already put it, TREK made me think of the future, of the human potential for 'my future' in my lifetime and what we might discover beyond our world; STAR WARS was my teenage escape from the real world into imagination and creativity.

I was utterly let down by the SW prequels because, for me, they failed to set up the OT events and characters in any meaningful way. Apparently I'm now coming around again on appreciating the science of TREK's fiction, and I can see (ideally) that Abrams' TREK might well reignite that spirit of exploration and curiosity about worlds beyond our own daily toils.

I don't want to get too political here, but I think we could use a lot more exploration in our world, and a lot less Empire.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 03-18-2008, 12:17 AM

I really liked Star Wars episodes 4 through 6. Episodes 1 through 3, although they were dissapointing and didn't quite live up to the promise that the original trilogy made us hope for, were not anywhere near the worst movies i have ever seen. And definitely not movies i would ever walk out on. If a film is that bad, i will get up and walk out, as i have on many occasions. But i enjoyed the latter trilogy despite it's inferiority to the original. That having been said, i'd have to pick Star Trek every time over Star Wars. It's much more realistic, there's no enigmatic mystical "force" to rely on, and the ST universe is much more completely fleshed out and understandable. The heroes in Star Wars are mystical, powerful Jedi and the villains equally powerful Sith. The heroes in Star Trek are ordinary human beings like we are, in a futuristic setting that's possible and believable. We might meet aliens someday, we might build ships that will travel to the stars someday, we might. Star Trek could potentially be one possible future reality for us. Star Wars is pure fantasy. It's almost more fantasy than science fiction.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:04 AM
Rear Admiral

This is such a lame argument! People think that just because they both start with "Star", they must somehow be related, when infact there is no relation to the two at all. One takes place in the future, and one in the past. As a matter of fact, there are several things in Star Wars stolen from Trek. Such as "Starfleet" and "Starship", along with proton torpedoes. I know it's not photon, but people do tend to get both mixed up at times.

J.J. "Binks" Abrams is taking over sci-fi!
Fans Expendable
Old 03-18-2008, 10:09 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekman7 View Post
Star Trek has 5 different series, and 10 movies, (11th in the making) Star Wars has 6 movies....that's it...and Star Wars just can't be compared to Star Trek. Star Wars is a classic story of the fight between good and evil, Star Trek explores that and so much more, if u've seen all of the episodes u know that they just can't be compared...
actually theres quite a bit more,

the clone wars animated series
the three ewok kids movies
xmas special
muppet special
and a new tv show that is supposed to come out soon.

if i count up all the stawars things i like, and count up all the star trek things i like, star trek just adds up to more, in my opinion

but i would like to agree with everybody here, theyre two completely different things.

I really do enjoy both, but people will actually appologize to me for admiting they like starwars if they know im a trekkie, its really funny.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:11 AM
Commander

Allow me to draw a distinction between my two favorite quotes from each "universe":

"But I wanted to go up to Toshi Station and get some new power converters!" - Luke Skywalker, whining to Uncle Owen

"...to boldly go where no man has gone before." - James T. Kirk

I'll take Trek anyday, thanks.

LOL