The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > New Space Shuttle returns from Secret Mission
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2010, 07:47 AM
Fleet Admiral

Oh for f**k's sake, stop the Chomsky-esque crap. You list facts (which everybody knows already; for the umptenth time, the Star Wars program has been continuously running for over twenty years) en masse and when you interpret them it is some nonsense * la "Russkies are concerned ergo Cold War will reemerge in space."

I already said all there is to say about the matter, there are REAL risks of arm races, e.g. in the Middle East, which will have REAL potentials to damage human lives.
In case you have read about the cable leak you might have noticed that at the moment collusion between the US and China (a nation that, unlike Russia, is not descending on the chain of power and a nation which, at least economically, does a lot of harm to the world) concerning not committing to reduce greenhouse gas emissions is a graver problem than military competition.

Last edited by horatio : 12-08-2010 at 07:50 AM.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:58 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Oh for f**k's sake, stop the Chomsky-esque crap. You list facts (which everybody knows already, for the umptenth time, the Star Wars program is not new) en masse and when you interpret them it is some nonsense * la "Russkies are concerned ergo cold War will continue in space."
Oh, I am sorry to bother you with facts.
By the way, it was you, who interpreted those facts, not me. So, please, stop that 'Chomsky-esque crap' yourself. I dont think Russia will start a new arms race. I think China and the USA have started it allready and I think the US is currently on the path to the year 2020.

http://www.foia.cia.gov/2020/2020.pdf

If that is all well known, obvious and boring for you, then I am sorry to have bothered you with sharing the obvious with you. May be I am just not as well informed as you are, so that all of this still makes an impression on me. Sorry for that.

Thank you and have a nice day.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:15 AM
Fleet Admiral

Ah, there you play Chomsky again. "I am just stating facts, not interpreting them". Pretending to not be in theory and believing that you can change the world unideologically is the only weakness of this great intellectual on the left. I wish you could but pointing out that Palin is a retard over and over again won't make any rightwinger change his mind.
Right-wing populism, be it Palin and teabagger style in the US or Berlusconi and Sarrazin style in Europe is so successful even with low-income folks precisely because the left has abandoned theory, ideology or however you want to call it.
Gabriel was right, the left-liberal Green is a cappuccino party. But, and that's even sadder, the social democrats are as well. Forget the stupid facts and focus upon the creation of a new left ideology which will be able to beat the right-wing populist alternative.

Back to the issue, you did interpret the facts. Your main point is that this weapons test constitutes the beginning of a space arms race and that this is a serious danger to world peace.
My point is that it isn't as the technology still in the experimental phase and as, once it is beyond that, it will be used more or less like nuclear weapons, i.e. for deterrence.
In my opinion (and yes, it is just my stupid uninformed opinion; I haven't read all the things you did about the matter) conventional resource conflicts fought with conventional means will have far graver implications upon human lives.
Or to phrase it differently, I am, very much like you I believe, against imperialism, exploitation and such nasty wars. I have yet no problem with a biga*s nuke or a zipp-zapp satellite if they are just used for defensive purposes.

Just think about two countries in the Middle East which have respectively aspire to get nuclear weapons, Israel and Iran. Both countries were attacked most often in recent history, they have ample reasons to be suspicious of their neighbours and that's perhaps precisely why they have / want the bomb.

Last edited by horatio : 12-08-2010 at 08:27 AM.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:23 AM
Fleet Admiral

I'm sure those jackasses at Wikileaks will tell us all about it in a week or two

Old 12-08-2010, 09:36 AM
Fleet Admiral

In many ways I am

Old 12-08-2010, 09:38 AM
Fleet Admiral

Mostly on social issues

Old 12-08-2010, 09:44 AM
Fleet Admiral

What I think is that what they are doing is incredibly dangerous

Old 12-08-2010, 09:45 AM
Fleet Admiral

This isn't about transparancy at this point. They've released information on infrastructure targets, they've initiated a hacking campaign against companies like Mastercard. These guys are dangerous