The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Delta Vega
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2010, 09:47 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Default Delta Vega

I believe that the Delta Vega in WNMHGB is the same as the one in the new movie. Here's why:

--Detla Vega was described as being cold and desolate, but rich in mineral deposits in WNMHGB. In the new movie, Delta Vega looked pretty cold and desolate to me.

--Delta Vega is depicted as being almost desert-like in WNMHGB, and having vast tundras in the new movie. I don't see that one planet can't have two different climate zones. After all, Earth has more than two climate zones. This isn't Star Wars, after all.

--Spock knows that Vulcan has been destroyed, but he can't have seen it with his own eyes. For one thing, if Vulcan were really that close, then Delta Vega would also have been sucked into the black hole. Think back to the episode of TOS "The Immunity Syndrome". Spock knows of the death of the vulcan crew long before they reach the lost ship. Who says Spock could not merely have "sensed" the destruction of Vulcan, as if telepathically?

--Delta Vega is shown to have an abanoned mining colony in WNMHGB, and to have an abandoned federation outpost in the new movie. Whether or not these two facilities are related is debatable, but I personally choose to believe that they are one and the same. And to explain the snow in the new movie and the lack thereof in WNMHGB, I choose to believe that it was summer in WNMHGB and winter in the new movie.

This is not an attempt to convince the naysayers that the new Delta Vega is the same as the old one. It is merely an expression of my belief that it is the same planet.

--ADMIRAL JONATHAN ARCHER--

Old 12-02-2010, 10:42 PM
Fleet Admiral

Yeah but that logic contradicts the purpose of putting him on the planet in the first place.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:15 AM
Lieutenant

The original was a remote frontier automated mining outpost close to the barrier at the edge of the universe. The new one is a neighbouring system of Vulcan. It was an intentional nod but there is no reason why Delta Vega Beta Caronis couldn't be shortened to Delta Vega in common parlance.

I do agree that it is unlikely to be as close to Vulcan as in the mind meld scene (otherwise Scotty could use his shuttle to pop over to Vulcan for supplies instead of starving while waiting for a supply ship and there is no way he could have been oblivious to the destruction of Vulcan) but the time frame (fuzzy as it was) is inconsistent with a frontier planet. Nero had more than enough time to beat the Enterprise to Earth as it was and making them the same planet increases the Enterprise's travel time and just compounds the error.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:58 AM
Federation Councillor

I really don't see why people are struggling so much to 'explain' what was never anything more than an acknowleged 'nod' to TOS itself.

But if folks have to...........they have to.............go forth and multiply.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 12-03-2010, 08:24 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauln6 View Post
The original was a remote frontier automated mining outpost close to the barrier at the edge of the universe. The new one is a neighbouring system of Vulcan. It was an intentional nod but there is no reason why Delta Vega Beta Caronis couldn't be shortened to Delta Vega in common parlance.

I do agree that it is unlikely to be as close to Vulcan as in the mind meld scene (otherwise Scotty could use his shuttle to pop over to Vulcan for supplies instead of starving while waiting for a supply ship and there is no way he could have been oblivious to the destruction of Vulcan) but the time frame (fuzzy as it was) is inconsistent with a frontier planet. Nero had more than enough time to beat the Enterprise to Earth as it was and making them the same planet increases the Enterprise's travel time and just compounds the error.
The Delta Vega sequence is silly and funny, I like it, but once you think about it you realize that, as you have pointed out, it makes little sense and that the writers haven't thought much about it.
I mainly dislike EmoSpock's decision (plus the subtext of the movie that whatever nasty thing Spock does is OK because he discovers his inner humanity) to get Kirk of the ship and put his life in danger. He should get courtmartialed for it.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:26 PM
Fleet Admiral

The name is an Easter Egg and nothing more. The planet is in the Vulcan system. That's why Nero left Spock there. It's also why Kirk was left there. Enterprise had not yet left hte system. They hadn't gone to warp yet. They were still discussing what to do when Kirk was marooned. They were in close proximity to Vulcan.

Old 12-03-2010, 01:27 PM
Fleet Admiral

I do think it was an ill advised Easter Egg. They probably should have just given it another name and avoided this altogether.

Old 12-03-2010, 02:55 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
I really don't see why people are struggling so much to 'explain' what was never anything more than an acknowleged 'nod' to TOS itself.

But if folks have to...........they have to.............go forth and multiply.

Like so many things in this movie...

Old 12-03-2010, 03:17 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tom Coughlin View Post
Enterprise had not yet left hte system. They hadn't gone to warp yet.
Sure, that's why they "beamed aboard the ship while moving at warp" using "transwarp beaming"

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 12-03-2010, 05:43 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
Sure, that's why they "beamed aboard the ship while moving at warp" using "transwarp beaming"
Once Kirk was off the ship, the debate was over and Spock put the ship to warp to rendezvous with the fleet. They left the system after they deposited Kirk, not before.