The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Do you believe in karma?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Do you believe in karma?
Yes 6 50.00%
No 6 50.00%
What is karma? 0 0%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-24-2010, 11:43 AM
Rear Admiral

Default Do you believe in karma?

Yes? No? Maybe so?

J.J. "Binks" Abrams is taking over sci-fi!
Fans Expendable
Old 11-25-2010, 12:28 PM
Fleet Admiral

Negative, I do not believe in reincarnation.

Old 11-25-2010, 01:05 PM
Federation Councillor

Can I answer the poll when I die and then I find out what the next stage is?

courtesy of Saquist
Old 11-26-2010, 10:57 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Can I answer the poll when I die and then I find out what the next stage is?
No, you have to take a pick now! If you dont choose or if you choose wrong, you will be reborn as a worm.

Quite frankly, I had many conversations whith someone, who believed in Karma. I never quite understood the relevance of the concept. If I am reborn as a worm, then I am NOT reborn at all, because I am NOT a worm. Same goes for the naive version of the idea of heaven, by the way. I am no angel, ergo, whatever ends up in heaven is not me.

But then, the idea of Karma also entails, that your actions will inevietably have repurcussions for you yourself within your lifetime. Like, you steal from someone and so, years later, someone else will steal from you.

There obviously is some truth to that, but whoever decides on the Karma seems to suck at math. Otherwise, how could evil tyrants like Stalin end up dying peacefully in their bed?

Last edited by Botany Bay : 11-26-2010 at 11:07 AM.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:54 PM
Fleet Admiral

I voted no because I don't believe in it in a spiritual sense. I do however believe that actions have consequences, and people who make bad choices in life or are just generally bad people often pay a price for those actions and behaviors.

Old 11-26-2010, 01:57 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botany Bay View Post
No, you have to take a pick now! If you dont choose or if you choose wrong, you will be reborn as a worm.
Well, it'll have to be 'No' then in lieu of any future experiences that alter that state of mind.

Quote:
There obviously is some truth to that, but whoever decides on the Karma seems to suck at math. Otherwise, how could evil tyrants like Stalin end up dying peacefully in their bed?
Because life has no benevolent logic behind it, no true rhyme or reason and good things happen to bad people, while good people have nothing but bad happen in their life.

It sucks. But it's all there is.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 11-27-2010, 12:48 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botany Bay View Post

Quite frankly, I had many conversations whith someone, who believed in Karma. I never quite understood the relevance of the concept. If I am reborn as a worm, then I am NOT reborn at all, because I am NOT a worm. Same goes for the naive version of the idea of heaven, by the way. I am no angel, ergo, whatever ends up in heaven is not me.

But then, the idea of Karma also entails, that your actions will inevietably have repurcussions for you yourself within your lifetime. Like, you steal from someone and so, years later, someone else will steal from you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Because life has no benevolent logic behind it, no true rhyme or reason and good things happen to bad people, while good people have nothing but bad happen in their life.

It sucks. But it's all there is.
The usual religious reaction to evil people not being punished in this world is the idea that they will get punished in hell (Abrahamic religions) or the next life (Hinduism). Or let's take the reaction to 9/11 by folks like Pat Robertson that it was a punishment for our sinful life.
In both instances people try to restore order to the universe, even the most wicked crimes serve either a purpose (Godly warning) or will be punished in the afterlife respectively in the next life.

We should rather try to get out of this Pagan universe where things make sense and stick with Job. Stalin, 9/11 or whatever other horror and evil on this world don't serve any purpose. Or, to take the Christian equivalent of Job, God died on the cross and only the Holy Spirit is left, i.e. we are alone.
Isn't it wonderful that you can find this strange dialectic form of implicit atheism in Judaism and Christianity?