The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Sexism in Trek?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 03-17-2008, 09:24 AM
Zardoz's Avatar
Zardoz Zardoz is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere In The Future
Posts: 31,432
Default

Red-

I'll grant you it wasn't 7 or T'Pol level of "eye candyism."

I still think the dress codes on trek shows are sexist for the most part, for those not in regular uniform. Guess we'll have to agree to disagree...LOL...

I guess we have diffrent takes on Dr. Crusher. But iunderstand what your saying, and as a mom, your are right, she did that very well and it played well. Shame she didn;t have a better kid....LOL.

Saquist-

If that is what you walked away with from any study of the 70's, you just didn't understand.

But I agree with your second statement, still a long way to go though....
__________________
"High Priestesses Of Zardoz" By Eliza's Starbase Of Avatars Copyright 2009."
"Zardoz Speaks To You, His Choosen Trek Fans."
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-17-2008, 10:20 AM
Elizadolots's Avatar
Elizadolots Elizadolots is offline
Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,466
Default

Troi's blue dress was notable for more than the cleavage (which was more than Uhura ever managed to show, by the way, and Uhura is shapely!). There was the slit up to the thigh which revealed those blue stockinged legs and high stilleto heels...



I think she crossed into the realm of unprofessional....fortunately, by the end of the series she was most often in a typical uniform.
__________________


Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-17-2008, 10:24 AM
Zardoz's Avatar
Zardoz Zardoz is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere In The Future
Posts: 31,432
Default

Eliza-

My point exactly, thank you.

Would YOU feel comfy discussing yuor state of mind with a therapist dressed liek that?
__________________
"High Priestesses Of Zardoz" By Eliza's Starbase Of Avatars Copyright 2009."
"Zardoz Speaks To You, His Choosen Trek Fans."
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-17-2008, 10:26 AM
Saquist's Avatar
Saquist Saquist is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 11,257
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Red-

I'll grant you it wasn't 7 or T'Pol level of "eye candyism."

I still think the dress codes on trek shows are sexist for the most part, for those not in regular uniform. Guess we'll have to agree to disagree...LOL...

I guess we have diffrent takes on Dr. Crusher. But iunderstand what your saying, and as a mom, your are right, she did that very well and it played well. Shame she didn;t have a better kid....LOL.

Saquist-

If that is what you walked away with from any study of the 70's, you just didn't understand.

But I agree with your second statement, still a long way to go though....
well it's how my parent's tell it...didn't do any specific studing of it during history.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-17-2008, 10:36 AM
Zardoz's Avatar
Zardoz Zardoz is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere In The Future
Posts: 31,432
Default

Saquist-

I think researching the subject might be in order here. :-)
__________________
"High Priestesses Of Zardoz" By Eliza's Starbase Of Avatars Copyright 2009."
"Zardoz Speaks To You, His Choosen Trek Fans."
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-17-2008, 11:17 AM
Saquist's Avatar
Saquist Saquist is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 11,257
Default

I don't think I really want to.
The 70's seemed so...colorfull and weird.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-17-2008, 11:20 AM
wal's Avatar
wal wal is offline
Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
What do you guys think? Is there sexism in Trek? Or does everyone get a "fair shake?"
Voyager was nothing but sexism, by striving to show Janeway as a strong woman they severely dimished the masculinity in the supporting male cast.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-17-2008, 11:28 AM
RedShirtWalking's Avatar
RedShirtWalking RedShirtWalking is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Manchester, NH
Posts: 1,020
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
Troi's blue dress was notable for more than the cleavage (which was more than Uhura ever managed to show, by the way, and Uhura is shapely!). There was the slit up to the thigh which revealed those blue stockinged legs and high stilleto heels...


I think she crossed into the realm of unprofessional....fortunately, by the end of the series she was most often in a typical uniform.
So, it was basically a cat-suit with a skirt? She wasn't showing any skin and the "stillettos" you refer to were more boot like things, weren't they? I dont' recall them being actual 6" heels.

The amount of cleavage is minimal. This is a better shot of the same dress:


There are therapists (and other people in business) today who wear more plunging necklines and more revealing outfits than that.

I hardly think it's "unprofessional." Some may think it's "inappropriate" by today's standards--but we aren't talking about today's standards. We're talking about a vision of the 24th Century and that outfit still is pretty reserved. It's also a pretty subjective thing...your "inappropriate" may not be the "inappropriate" of others.

I think the ultimate benchmark is that Picard never told her to change. LOL

Cheers...
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-17-2008, 11:33 AM
Saquist's Avatar
Saquist Saquist is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 11,257
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wal View Post
Voyager was nothing but sexism, by striving to show Janeway as a strong woman they severely dimished the masculinity in the supporting male cast.
I wouldn't go that far....
but the men expcept for tuvok seemed very imasculated.

Chakotay just didn't have any real Cohunas...
Tom was just a bad boy
Kim was just a momma's boy
Tuvok was just her friend
Neelix wasn't invovled he wanted Kes.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-17-2008, 11:43 AM
Zardoz's Avatar
Zardoz Zardoz is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere In The Future
Posts: 31,432
Default

So Saquist-

When men serve under a female commander, they are emasculated, by your defintion?

Sir, you suprise me with that post. I had thought you more enlightened.
__________________
"High Priestesses Of Zardoz" By Eliza's Starbase Of Avatars Copyright 2009."
"Zardoz Speaks To You, His Choosen Trek Fans."
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:32 PM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.