The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Films > Movies (I - X) > Barclay's Accident
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2010, 10:10 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Default Barclay's Accident

Has anyone ever heard of a story about Barclay leaving a PADD behind in Bozeman with the Akira class design listed on it causing NX-01 to be based on that?
Old 11-06-2010, 10:43 AM
Federation Councillor

No, but it sounds like a lame fanwank idea some would get wet about.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 11-06-2010, 12:48 PM
Fleet Admiral

I was never even aware of the Akira class before all the Akiraprise nonsense started.

If one wants to deal with the issue the idea that the Akira class is actually a homage to the NX class makes more sense in my opinion. If Barclay had really left a PADD behind Cochrane would have certainly taken a look at more things than just the look of one ship. In other words, this creates more problems than it solves (not that the Akira-NX thing is really a problem).
I like though the idea that Picard and Co. were prophets for Cochrane, Lily and humankind, or to be more precise, Cochrane&Lily are the prophets and Picard's vision is their prophecy. Unlike the fairly technical and fanwankish continuity weaving stuff this is actually about something that matters.

The Klingon augment story also features both components, the irrelevant continuity weaving element as well as the actual content, i.e. the lovely idea that the smooth-headed Klingons have human blood and traits in them.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:15 PM
Fleet Admiral

It's not that much nonsense. I read that the designer of the NX class actually used an Akira class model he found among the Paramount trash stuff and thought it was never used. Because it was trash, he used this Akira model as a design concept and created the NX based on the Akira. Nobody told him that the Akira design wasn't abandoned -.- and he didn't bother to check, obviously -.- -.- -.-

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 11-06-2010, 04:18 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Some moron on trekmovie named captaindd said that crap in a comment. This sounds like the same bullsh!t like someone saying Mara Jade's lightsaber in Mysteries of the sith is purple because it has Mace Windu's crystal. Retconning the hell out of things.

Last edited by JamesTKirk1701 : 11-06-2010 at 04:29 PM.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:51 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
It's not that much nonsense. I read that the designer of the NX class actually used an Akira class model he found among the Paramount trash stuff and thought it was never used. Because it was trash, he used this Akira model as a design concept and created the NX based on the Akira. Nobody told him that the Akira design wasn't abandoned -.- and he didn't bother to check, obviously -.- -.- -.-
Of course the design was inspired by the Akira class and it was not an accident but a conscious decision by the producers *. With 'Akiraprise nonsense' I meant fans who complain that the NX-01 looks like a 24th century ship seen once or twice in the background.
That's not the point, the question is rather whether it was in general wise that during ENT Berman sticked with what he was familiar with, the 24th century, and whether the NX looks nice or not independent of its resemblance to the Akira. One could definitely argue that they should have sticked to the early sketches and one could also argue that it should have looked more similar to the Phoenix, perhaps kinda like the Conestoga respectively that the technology of the show should have been in general impler to emphasize that this is a 22nd and not a 24th century show.

* - As everyone knows, the NX was based on the Akira, in fact the Enterprise producers had decided that they were going to use the Akira as is for the NX Enterprise! Herman Zimerman, the Enterprise production designer talked them in to letting us come up with a version that was across between the TOS ship, and the Akira class.

http://drexfiles.wordpress.com/2009/...e-akira-class/
Old 11-07-2010, 01:00 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
With 'Akiraprise nonsense' I meant fans who complain that the NX-01 looks like a 24th century ship seen once or twice in the background.
Exactly.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 11-07-2010, 05:07 AM
Fleet Admiral

It was more prominent in some Dominion War battle scenes.

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 11-07-2010, 05:30 AM
Fleet Admiral

You mean like this?

If the Akira had been frequently in the focus like for example the Miranda, Excelsior or Nebula it would have been a different issue but appearing a few times in the background during those messy DS9 battles doesn't make here "unrecycable".

Last edited by horatio : 11-07-2010 at 05:35 AM.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:29 AM
Federation Councillor

It's amazing - a dozen different starships have a saucer, secondary hull and two nacelles across umpteen centuries and no one bats an eyelid.

One earlier ship (which should be smaller anyway) bears a similar resemblance to a much later design and it's a problem....................... that every fan 'refit' seeks to remedy by lazily adding a secondary hull.

There's no folk like Trek folk............

courtesy of Saquist