The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Original Series > Did the Guardian cement the Kirk/Spock/McCoy friendship?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2009, 02:26 AM
Federation Councillor

Default Did the Guardian cement the Kirk/Spock/McCoy friendship?

I've been watching a lot of TOS again and it's been bringing up a lot of questions as it's been a good while since I saw them in detail.

Anyway, when TOS starts off we see Kirk/Spock and McCoy all serving on the ship and they are clearly comrades and friends - but the bantering is relatively humorous and the kind you often get at work.

I didn't get the full sense of the depth of the friendship until I watched 'The City on the Edge of Forever'.

Here, Kirk and Spock must go on that rescue mission to save McCoy and in the pursuit of that they spend more time together alone than we've seen them before, you really start to see them bond closely - not as officers, but as individuals who have to struggle to get by in a small room. Kirk is also falling in love and Spock has to break to him the news of Edith's fate. Not only is Edith's fate something that the Captain must endure, he must endure it at the same time as finding McCoy.

Even Spock and McCoy have a moment unlike any they've shared in the past - when McCoy struggles against Kirk and demands to know why Kirk did what he did, with Spock's simple 'He knows' being the only answer he can give.

I don't know - I may be rambling here - but this is the episode where I feel the experiences the three men were forced to go through in this episode to get home and prevent disaster in the future, is what truly bonded them beyond being shipmates but into the life-long friends that we see in the remainder of Star Trek.

Anyone else's thoughts?

courtesy of Saquist

Last edited by kevin : 06-12-2009 at 02:49 AM.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:03 AM
Rear Admiral

As experience shapes relationships this ep is a defining one for Kirk Spock and Bones. That's why its generally considered the best TOS ep. The script by Harlan Ellison is intelligent and the story (re-written by Roddenberry) is one of the most moving in Trek ever. I've always wanted Ellison to get his hands on those characters again. Now it could happen.

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Old 06-12-2009, 07:21 AM
Vice Admiral

is that a episode when Bones said do you know what you just did and Spock says He knows doctor ""He Knows""

Space is disease and dangerous wrapped in darkness and silence-Leonard Bones McCoy
Old 06-12-2009, 07:44 AM
Fleet Admiral

Yes, that is an episode.

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 06-12-2009, 10:59 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Metal Beastie View Post
As experience shapes relationships this ep is a defining one for Kirk Spock and Bones. That's why its generally considered the best TOS ep. The script by Harlan Ellison is intelligent and the story (re-written by Roddenberry) is one of the most moving in Trek ever. I've always wanted Ellison to get his hands on those characters again. Now it could happen.
I definitely felt that defining nature as well about it. It was an experience shared by all three that they carried with them always.

It definitely deepened the relationships between them.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 06-12-2009, 11:12 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Metal Beastie View Post
Correct me if I am mistaken, but I believe that one of the reasons that GR re wrote the script is for budget reasons (for TV). Ellison's script would have been movie length and would have required a much bigger budget for sets and such which was just not going to happen with TOS at the time.
As it was, the way it turned out was the most perfect, in my opinion, of any Trek episode and was unmatched until TWOK.
If a remake of an episode were to be made into a movie, I would like to see Ellison's original script made into a full length movie. With the alternate time line, events in the original script would be appropriate.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:23 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futureguy View Post
Correct me if I am mistaken, but I believe that one of the reasons that GR re wrote the script is for budget reasons (for TV).
there are so many versions about this.
this thread should develop into something quite interesting.

Old 06-12-2009, 11:28 AM
Commander

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odradek View Post
there are so many versions about this.
this thread should develop into something quite interesting.
That was still a darn good episode reguardless!
Old 06-12-2009, 11:34 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futureguy View Post
That was still a darn good episode reguardless!
Maybe, but I liked the original script way better.
And thinking about Kevin's assumption, I belive the original script would have split the trio rather than anything else.

Old 06-12-2009, 11:42 AM
Federation Councillor

In what way?

courtesy of Saquist