The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Nimoy Will Not Be Back in Star Trek 2-Confirmed
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2010, 03:08 PM
Commander

I don't see Trek returning to television, I think Paramount is intent on making Trek a movie franchise. However, they could do like an animated series for kids. If they did do a live drama it would probably have to pay homage to the alternate universe movie characters, so maybe Starfleet Academy 2349, or whatever year Kirk graduates. I don't see them doing anything along the lines of the last four series.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:42 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by chator View Post
I don't see Trek returning to television, I think Paramount is intent on making Trek a movie franchise.
All Paramount can do is deal with the movie franchise of things since CBS has overall say on whether it goes back to TV or not. Though CBS & Paramount were "rumored" to have a deal with each other that there wouldn't be a TV series until at least sometime after the film came out, though there was nothing more ever said about it since then.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:08 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by chator View Post
I don't see Trek returning to television, I think Paramount is intent on making Trek a movie franchise. However, they could do like an animated series for kids. If they did do a live drama it would probably have to pay homage to the alternate universe movie characters, so maybe Starfleet Academy 2349, or whatever year Kirk graduates. I don't see them doing anything along the lines of the last four series.
I'm still hoping for a series about Captain April and the early adventures of the original starship Enterprise. It would be nice to see the maiden voyage of the Enterprise and what kinds of new frontiers April and his crew explored before Pike took command. Obviously it would have to be set in the original TOS universe. I know it will never happen. But at least I can dream.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:17 AM
Federation Councillor

I think that it would be better for them to concentrate on this film franchise first and see how that plays out.

I'd even go so far as to suggest they should at least get past a third film - if the new film series gets that far - before serious consideration to a new series should be given, whatever for that series should take.

If the films followed a three year cycle that would take us to about 2015/2016. Which I realise is a long gap (it still wouldn't beat the 18 year gap between TOS and TNG) but TNG wasn't considered until after the first few TOS films had proven there was a viable support base to risk another TV series.

It's not that I necessarily want to have to wait that long, but if it was a choice of that length wait or a series that was a retread of the what had come before, then I would take the wait personally.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 09-08-2010, 09:20 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwiseb View Post
For telling an origin story, and being mostly a surface-level type adventure, ST09 may actually have performed too well for its own good, at least critically speaking. That's not an enviable position to be in.

Everyone's really going to have to be at the top of their game this time, if they want to follow up and show us what they're capable of. And I don't think that would be possible if they knew they could always invite Nimoy back and let media buzz continue carrying the franchise mainstream. There would be the danger of ST once again becoming too safe.
This is a very valid problem - the unexpected level of success (both in terms of box office and broad critical reception) means that there's almost no way to replicate it intentionally and expectations are going to be sky-high for the film by the time it rolls around.

Personally, that's one further reason I hope Abrams returns to the director's chair and doesn't just stay behind the scenes as a producer etc.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 09-08-2010, 09:41 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
I'm still hoping for a series about Captain April and the early adventures of the original starship Enterprise. It would be nice to see the maiden voyage of the Enterprise and what kinds of new frontiers April and his crew explored before Pike took command. Obviously it would have to be set in the original TOS universe. I know it will never happen. But at least I can dream.
That's an interesting idea, not at least because it is untrodden territory and you are free to make up a crew from scratch while working with the original Enterprise.
While I frankly admit am not that much of a TOS fan, mainly because I grew up with TNG and post TNG, I'd really like to see something set in the TOS timeframe with retro designs. Perhaps a story set on a colony or a freighter or a space station (OK, we already had this one). The 23rd century seems to be the right place in time for something a bit rougher.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:13 AM
Vice Admiral

I'm a die-hard TOS fan. So a series set in the 23rd century with updated/modernized TOS-style set designs would definitely appeal to me. I would absolutely love it. It wouldn't even have to be set on the Enterprise. They could use a different ship. Maybe a TOS-style Miranda class ship with a whole different crew. They could make the occasional reference to April/Pike/Kirk and the Enterprise, but have their own missions and adventures. I would be like a kid at a candy store watching something like that. But that's just me. I'm old school like that.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:39 AM
Fleet Admiral

Well, the bridge was a bit of a candy store with those jelly bean style buttons.
I fear that the likelihood of a retro-style series isn't that high but assuming that it will be done, I don't think that the sets and ships would need any updating except for perhaps some textures.
Jefferies' designs always have a sense of simple and austere functionality and I like this nothing-fancy, no-nonsense aspect of them.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:47 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Well, the bridge was a bit of a candy store with those jelly bean style buttons.
I fear that the likelihood of a retro-style series isn't that high but assuming that it will be done, I don't think that the sets and ships would need any updating except for perhaps some textures.
Jefferies' designs always have a sense of simple and austere functionality and I like this nothing-fancy, no-nonsense aspect of them.
I agree. I like the simplicity of the original designs very much. The gumdrop buttons on the bridge would have to be updated though. I don't think they would translate well to a 21st century viewing audience. And the chekerboard bliniky light display screens would have to be updated with something that actually looks like it means something. Other than that, and the surface textures of the ships, I wouldn't change a thing.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:33 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
I'm a die-hard TOS fan. So a series set in the 23rd century with updated/modernized TOS-style set designs would definitely appeal to me. I would absolutely love it. It wouldn't even have to be set on the Enterprise. They could use a different ship. Maybe a TOS-style Miranda class ship with a whole different crew. They could make the occasional reference to April/Pike/Kirk and the Enterprise, but have their own missions and adventures. I would be like a kid at a candy store watching something like that. But that's just me. I'm old school like that.
Zim, check out the online series Star Trek-New Voyages (They go by Star Trek-Phase II now.)

Overall, a great homage to TOS. Well done for a fan effort.

In fact they are going to film all 13 of the Phase II scripts after they finish the next story, including all the ship and costume changes that were slated for the 1977 series.