The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Deep Space Nine > USS Defiant in FIRST CONTACT??
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2009, 08:13 AM
Commander

Default USS Defiant in FIRST CONTACT??

Hi,

firstly, I know having Worf command the Defiant in the battle with the Borg in FIRST CONTACT was "because the plot required it", rather than have Sisko in command and therefore either be beamed to the Enterprise in a coma (an injustice to the character) or have him in the movie (too complicated).

what I am curious about is there an "in-universe" explanation as to why Sisko is not commanding the Defiant?
surely he wouldn't pass up a chance to fight the Borg?
was Worf already near Earth on another mission at the time?
Old 06-16-2009, 08:31 AM
Rear Admiral

I think Sisko had to deal with events on the station regarding the Dominion. It's hard to say what he was doing, but I think he was there to keep a presense on the station incase there was an attack. Or, maybe he was ordered to stay on the station just as Picard was ordered to avoid Sector 001 and go to the Neutral Zone. I think Sisko was probably following orders. Or maybe Worf stole the Defiant against Sisko's will and didn't face consequences due to his restoration of the timeline.

J.J. "Binks" Abrams is taking over sci-fi!
Fans Expendable
Old 06-16-2009, 08:42 AM
Commander

I was just wondering if the novelisation, deleted scenes or a DS9 episode itself actually mentions the exact reason.

I doubt Worf would steal the Defiant. what would be the need? it was doubtless the first ship Starfleet called for? this was the reason it was created.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:46 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DammitJim View Post
I was just wondering if the novelisation, deleted scenes or a DS9 episode itself actually mentions the exact reason.

I doubt Worf would steal the Defiant. what would be the need? it was doubtless the first ship Starfleet called for? this was the reason it was created.
True, but if Starfleet ordered that it not be needed it would be understandable. As for the novel, I'm sure it probably explains it somewhere. I have it so I'll have to take a look.

J.J. "Binks" Abrams is taking over sci-fi!
Fans Expendable
Old 06-16-2009, 08:53 AM
Rear Admiral

I always assumed there was an explanation in DS9 somehow, as I never watched the show. It is interesting though. Was Worf a commander in rank, or a lieutenant commander?

Old 06-16-2009, 09:04 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJTrek View Post
I always assumed there was an explanation in DS9 somehow, as I never watched the show. It is interesting though. Was Worf a commander in rank, or a lieutenant commander?
He was promoted to full Commander at the end of his first DS9 episode AND he now gets to wear the RED uniform of Command. At the end of DS9, it was implied that he was made the Federation Ambassador to Qo'noS and left DS9.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:09 AM
Commander

Quote:
he was promoted to lieutenant commander in GENERATIONS and was that rank in DS9.

he was made Klingon/Federation ambassador in WHAT WE LEAVE BEHIND (I think) - so I don't think he should have worn his Starfleet uniform in Nemisis (could be wrong though)
Old 06-16-2009, 09:20 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by USS_Essex View Post
He was promoted to full Commander at the end of his first DS9 episode AND he now gets to wear the RED uniform of Command.
no, he was a lieutenant commander throughout his stay on DS9.

he wore command red on DS9 because that was the uniform colour required by his new position
Old 06-16-2009, 09:42 AM
Commander

Quote:
I always assumed there was an explanation in DS9 somehow, as I never watched the show.
how come?
Old 06-16-2009, 10:03 AM
Rear Admiral

As strategic operations officer, Worf was likely the liaison between DS9 and whatever other Starfleet forces that were deployed in defense of the Bajor Sector. Part of that duty involved periodic command of the Defiant. But then again, Sisko was the Defiant's official commanding officer as the ship was indeed assigned as part of the station's inventory, IMO. Other officers--like Kira, [Jadzia] Dax, and Worf--could take command of the ship on missions as acting captains in his absence.

In the case of First Contact, though, this was the Borg's second attempt to take out Earth, so Starfleet likely called for every ship that was available to intercept them. The Defiant was the only ship that had been specifically built to fight the Borg, so it's prescence at the Battle of Sector 001 was a given.

Sisko, however, was too busy dealing with the Dominion (the war was actually just ramping up to full pitch at that point), so Worf went in his stead...