The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Star Trek sequel
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2010, 12:53 PM
Vice Admiral

What episodes do you think could be given the big screen treatment

Space is disease and dangerous wrapped in darkness and silence-Leonard Bones McCoy
Old 08-30-2010, 09:32 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwarsrcks View Post
What episodes do you think could be given the big screen treatment
I would rather they do something original and not based on any one specific Star Trek episode, or movie for that matter, that has already been told. I'm fine with seeing some familiar faces and what not, but I want something new.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:38 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tom Coughlin View Post
I would rather they do something original and not based on any one specific Star Trek episode, or movie for that matter, that has already been told. I'm fine with seeing some familiar faces and what not, but I want something new.
A good story similar, but not identical to "Balance of Terror" might be good at this point. The Romulians would most certainly have agents or spies in the Federation and Klingon areas of space that would have gained knowledge of a ship, possibly Romulian, of immense proportions, kicking Klingon and Star Fleet's "azz's". They might just feel lucky enough to investigate, with one of their prototype cloaked ships, this new Constitution-Class Starship that managed to defeat the unknown, possibly Romulian, ship. There are already hints that a serious conflict exists with Romulus already and this new ship may present a threat to them. Besides the confusion over the possible Romulian ship may have them on the alert or offensive, but not yet willing to cross the Neutral Zone, in mass, until they have a chance to check out this new ship and either capture or destroy it. A BOT premise, but not the same environment.

If this is a new timeline, then events are not going to turn out the same as BOT. Things could, in this movie, especially if it is establishing an arc, go bad for the Enterprise: ending the second movie in "TWOK-type" bad, only worse, with dead and dying crew and a very badly damaged ship, with the third movie needed to get the day saved. No vortexes, no time travel, no techno-bable-look-what-I-have-been-working-on-this-week-that-will-save-our-hide "outs" for the plot. Just something faithful, fateful, and relative to the setting that we can identify with.

Lordy! it's late and I have been up too long...I'm babbling and waxing-not-so-eloquent with the keyboard! Maybe "my drift" can be caught. It does not have to be the above. I am just throwing my suggestions!
Old 08-31-2010, 01:19 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tom Coughlin View Post
Ditto as many times as you want to have it dittoed.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 08-31-2010, 01:42 AM
Vice Admiral

I want them to focus on building the relationship between Kirk, Spock and McCoy not just on the lovey dovey stuff it's time to delve in deeper if you get what I am saying.

Space is disease and dangerous wrapped in darkness and silence-Leonard Bones McCoy
Old 08-31-2010, 05:42 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futureguy View Post
A good story similar, but not identical to "Balance of Terror" might be good at this point. The Romulians would most certainly have agents or spies in the Federation and Klingon areas of space that would have gained knowledge of a ship, possibly Romulian, of immense proportions, kicking Klingon and Star Fleet's "azz's". They might just feel lucky enough to investigate, with one of their prototype cloaked ships, this new Constitution-Class Starship that managed to defeat the unknown, possibly Romulian, ship. There are already hints that a serious conflict exists with Romulus already and this new ship may present a threat to them. Besides the confusion over the possible Romulian ship may have them on the alert or offensive, but not yet willing to cross the Neutral Zone, in mass, until they have a chance to check out this new ship and either capture or destroy it. A BOT premise, but not the same environment.

If this is a new timeline, then events are not going to turn out the same as BOT. Things could, in this movie, especially if it is establishing an arc, go bad for the Enterprise: ending the second movie in "TWOK-type" bad, only worse, with dead and dying crew and a very badly damaged ship, with the third movie needed to get the day saved. No vortexes, no time travel, no techno-bable-look-what-I-have-been-working-on-this-week-that-will-save-our-hide "outs" for the plot. Just something faithful, fateful, and relative to the setting that we can identify with.

Lordy! it's late and I have been up too long...I'm babbling and waxing-not-so-eloquent with the keyboard! Maybe "my drift" can be caught. It does not have to be the above. I am just throwing my suggestions!
To be honest I wouldn't look forward to a remake of "Balance of Terror" but as you said it isn't clear what the Federation thinks about Nero and his attack. Sure, he came from the future according to NimoySpock, sure he was captured by the Klingons but for how long? Does Starfleet intelligence know that he was in custody all the 25 years?
My first guess given these informations would be a) that he was more than a mere miner, that he had a military mission to destroy the Federation in the future and b) that he was most likely in contact with 23rd century Romulus.

Nero pretends to be a simple miner while he is in fact an agent of the Tal Shiar, sounds like a typical Romulan ploy. And then there are the Vulcans, the volatile element in Federation politics who might very well want to go all hawkish upon their cousins.

The potential story consequence of this might be a serious crisis between the UFP and the Romulan Empire and as ST09 has already established the dangerous border triangle region between the three superpowers the Klingons might also have a role to play.

You can say what you want about ST09, but it definitely opened a can of story possibilities.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:47 AM
Fleet Admiral

I think a story like this might work....

The Klingons recognize that the Federation is considerably weakened, what with fighting a war on the Laruentian front, and having lost a significant portion of its reserve fleet in the battle against Nero. Despite the Klingons having lost some 40+ ships in their own battle with the escaping Narada, they feel that they can press for a more direct attack against the Federation (unless it is also the Klingons that are involved in the Laurentian battle...which a previous write up I was doing did indeed have them involved), taking advantage of the Federation's time of tactical weakness. There could be a subtext with the Vulcan's trying to establish their colony, and doing so under the threat of Klingon invasion. (The Vulcan's in their displacement could literally be enduring war victims, like the Jewish people in WW II.... and these times of tribulation would be a true test for their life of logic and reason.)

And thus, it is here in war where we get to see Kirk's tactical genius (with the help of his stalwart crew...after all, it was Chekov in the first movie who mentioned a tactical advantage at Titan). A good captain relies on the advice of his crew, but ultimately makes the final decision on how to act in a situation. We can also see how Kirk rallies some of the broken Starfleet, confers with the other captains of some recently repaired ships...and shows the Klingons a thing or two about space naval warfare of the time.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:56 AM
Federation Councillor

The only thing I have with that is the idea that 7 ships represents a significant weakening of the fleet. I figure if that loss was in theory enough to destablize them, the fleet must be pretty small.

I don't know why - just everytime it gets suggested, I just don't see it.

Of course, to be honest, I don't really want a 'war'. Especially with Klingons. It just seems like so many people want a 'war'. I'm just not really one of them right now in a Trek flick.

Sorry.

courtesy of Saquist

Last edited by kevin : 08-31-2010 at 10:00 AM.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:17 AM
Vice Admiral

it's hard to know what will happen next

Old 09-01-2010, 06:47 AM
Captain

Here's your sequel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wus6Hp664XI