The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Star Trek sequel
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 08-29-2010, 06:41 AM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,077
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
Everything is a rip off of something...it's how you do it.

Actually it's how you look at it.
Rip off
Or, inspiration...
I think the difference lies only in whether the viewer enjoyed the result.

If they don't - it's a rip-off.

If they do - it's inspiration/homage/tribute...........whatever phrase one wants to use.

Myself, I don't believe there are many original tales left either, so it'll be a case of how the latest example is executed by the makers.
__________________
'If the Apocalypse starts, beep me!' - Buffy Summers
'The sky's the limit.....' Jean-Luc Picard, 'All Good Things'


courtesy of Saquist
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-29-2010, 07:20 AM
starwarsrcks's Avatar
starwarsrcks starwarsrcks is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 3,062
Default

how about they throw in all the TOS characters in a galatic war
__________________



Space is disease and dangerous wrapped in darkness and silence-Leonard Bones McCoy
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-29-2010, 08:25 AM
Captain Tom Coughlin's Avatar
Captain Tom Coughlin Captain Tom Coughlin is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: USS Meadowlands
Posts: 10,989
Default

I really want to see the upheaval in Vulcan society caused by the destruction of their world and the affect that would have on their people, their society, their values ect. Not only would that be a natural progression from the first film, I think it would be an interesting thing to explore.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-29-2010, 12:08 PM
Captain Tom Coughlin's Avatar
Captain Tom Coughlin Captain Tom Coughlin is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: USS Meadowlands
Posts: 10,989
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
I agree but as much as I'd love to see such a story it seems to be a theme which better fits (or can be better explored on) the small screen.
You are of course correct, the next film will probably be another fast paced shoot 'em up type movie. Hopefully there is at least some substance to it though. They have a chance here after this last one to really breath new life back into the franchise if they don't mess it up.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-29-2010, 12:24 PM
Saquist's Avatar
Saquist Saquist is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 11,257
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
I think the difference lies only in whether the viewer enjoyed the result.

If they don't - it's a rip-off.

If they do - it's inspiration/homage/tribute...........whatever phrase one wants to use.

Myself, I don't believe there are many original tales left either, so it'll be a case of how the latest example is executed by the makers.
Bingo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tom Coughlin View Post
I really want to see the upheaval in Vulcan society caused by the destruction of their world and the affect that would have on their people, their society, their values ect. Not only would that be a natural progression from the first film, I think it would be an interesting thing to explore.
I d like the Vulcan to colonize the Sol System.

It'd be kewl if Parts of Earth became vulcan habitats that humans traditional don't care for...Sahara, Australian outback Mojave...
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-29-2010, 12:25 PM
starwarsrcks's Avatar
starwarsrcks starwarsrcks is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 3,062
Default

and did they mess up the last film not in the slightest in my honest opinion surely you always have the prime universe instead of the Abramsverse, the prime being the mother universe has 40 years to it.
__________________



Space is disease and dangerous wrapped in darkness and silence-Leonard Bones McCoy

Last edited by starwarsrcks : 08-29-2010 at 12:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-29-2010, 12:28 PM
horatio's Avatar
horatio horatio is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 9,282
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tom Coughlin View Post
You are of course correct, the next film will probably be another fast paced shoot 'em up type movie. Hopefully there is at least some substance to it though. They have a chance here after this last one to really breath new life back into the franchise if they don't mess it up.
I am not so sure, after all the writers and producers have indicated in the last months that they intend to slow down a bit.
They rightly want to focus on the main crew and a story about Vulcan diaspora has inherently nothing to do with any of the main characters besides Spock. In a series you don't have to focus upon your main cast all the time and can explore an alien society slowly via secondary characters over some time.
But then again it should be principally possible on the big screen if the story focuses not upon slow developments but rather upon an eruption in Vulcan society. Violent and dynamic stuff might be suitable material for the big screen.
There could be Vulcans who rebel violently against Vulcan orthodoxy or Vulcans who don't believe that Nero came from the future, who want to attack Romulus and split from the Federation to do it or Vulcans who blame the weak Federation for the destruction of their planet and who intend to join their stronger cousins.
You can't do subtle stuff like e.g. in DS9 with its exploration of the complicated Bajoran-Cardassian relationship but it's not like the story has to be subtle or complicated or demand much of a setup.

Last edited by horatio : 08-29-2010 at 12:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-29-2010, 12:32 PM
Captain Tom Coughlin's Avatar
Captain Tom Coughlin Captain Tom Coughlin is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: USS Meadowlands
Posts: 10,989
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
I am not so sure, after all the writers and producers have indicated in the last months that they intend to slow down a bit.
They rightly want to focus on the main crew and a story about Vulcan diaspora has inherently nothing to do with any of the main characters besides Spock. In a series you don't have to focus upon your main cast all the time and can explore an alien society slowly via secondary characters over some time.
But then again it should be principally possible on the big screen if the story focuses not upon slow developments but rather upon an eruption in Vulcan society. Violent and dynamic stuff might be suitable material for the big screen.
There could be Vulcans who rebel violently against Vulcan orthodoxy or Vulcans who don't believe that Nero came from the future, who want to attack Romulus and split from the Federation to do it or Vulcans who blame the weak Federation for the destruction of their planet and who intend to join their stronger cousins.
You can't do subtle stuff like e.g. in DS9 with its exploration of the complicated Bajoran-Cardassian relationship but it's not like the story has to be subtle or complicated or demand much of a setup.
That's kind of how I envision it, a group of Vulcans who blame the Federation and reject logic.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-29-2010, 12:33 PM
Captain Tom Coughlin's Avatar
Captain Tom Coughlin Captain Tom Coughlin is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: USS Meadowlands
Posts: 10,989
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
Bingo.



I d like the Vulcan to colonize the Sol System.

It'd be kewl if Parts of Earth became vulcan habitats that humans traditional don't care for...Sahara, Australian outback Mojave...
You know, that's an interesting idea.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:45 PM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.