The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Star Wars prequels
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2010, 05:34 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
OK, there was that she has lost the will to live thing (didn't it come from a medical droid which wouldn't make it very significant) but she also said that she believes that there is still good left in Anakin. So why would she wanna give up if she has still hope in Anakin?
The way I view it is that he killed her, whether it was by choking, by the force or however matters little in my opinion.

Anyway, the very ending of Episode III or the whole idea of this movie, that Anakin gets seduced to the dark side by his love once again (first by the love for his mother, now by the love for his wife) and that he becomes Vader before he is mutilated and needs the suit was much better and more unpredictable storytelling to me than any of the original trilogy movies.

Lucas has said that his Dark Lord was influenced by Tolkien and while this was apparent merely visually in the first trilogy the evil of the Sith was sketched out in the second one: seduction, mutilation, all ideas from Tolkien. There is simply more substance in the second trilogy and for me this outweighs the romantic adventure qualities of the first one.
Interesting insights there, my friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio
Aha, interesting that you know him personally and have these insights into his private life.
Christensen is a fine actor and might have played badly in the two movies
I thought he did hella better in Episode III....but I can see why some would balk at his acting.

Quote:
... but it is not like Hamill played on an Academy Award Level either.
I have to say, one thing I liked about Lucas is that he doesn't look for Academy Award winning acting to tell his stories. He just wants folks to help tell his stories....the actors are going to act the way they will act.

Quote:
Actually I find his constant excitement in the role of Luke quite annoying.
Apparently, so did Alec Guinness. LOL!

Old 08-14-2010, 07:42 PM
Fleet Admiral

I think one of the problems with Lucas in the prequel trilogy is he has a hard time trimming down his stories. He did the same thing with Return of the Jedi where he had this huge story arc that he wanted to tell and then he compressed it all down into one final third film.

In the prequels, he spends the entire first third telling the story of the young slave boy. Now that was an important part of the story because it explains a lot about the character and his need to control things around him and his need to seek greater power in his life. But, he dwells on it too long, making the fall of Anakin in the last two films feel a bit too rushed.

Old 08-14-2010, 11:16 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tom Coughlin View Post
When I saw it in the theater the whole place erupted into laughter at the scene.
Nice to know that wasn't just in Houston theaters.

Quote:
Yep, I agree. I get what they were going for, the whole Frankenstein thing but it was a swing and a miss.
But there was so much missing.
Jar Jar, The Trade Federation Dufuses, Whiny Anakin, Flying Artoo, "mom I married an Ax Murder", I can't sense the Dark side 2 Feet from me Yoda....

It was just bad....all the way through.
And when you think it can't get worse...."NOOOOOOOOOO..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Annoying thing is, the whole Vader creation thing right before it had gone so well and then right at the very end.........oops!
That light saber fight with Ben was one of the most BORING fensing matches I'd ever seen.

Quote:
That and the whole Padme dying because she lost the will to live bit. That was pretty bad too. She just had twins, that's not a reason to live?
Don't get me started...
Not to mention that she apparently raised her daughter according to Leia.
Come on. It's not like Lucas should have that hard of time looking at a MERE three movies to get this scripts right....

Quote:
I think one of the problems with Lucas in the prequel trilogy is he has a hard time trimming down his stories. He did the same thing with Return of the Jedi where he had this huge story arc that he wanted to tell and then he compressed it all down into one final third film.

In the prequels, he spends the entire first third telling the story of the young slave boy. Now that was an important part of the story because it explains a lot about the character and his need to control things around him and his need to seek greater power in his life. But, he dwells on it too long, making the fall of Anakin in the last two films feel a bit too rushed.
Personally I think the problem, his Ego. Where as it was clear his story telling abilities were limited and he abdicated those responsibilities to pro writers for V and VI.... he didn't do that for the last three.

"I took it upon my self to train him as a Jedi. I thought I could do just as well as Yoda."

The only thing about that quote that doesn't apply to Lucas is the part where he says he was wrong. He saw the reviews from the first film and flatly ignored them.

Old 08-15-2010, 01:02 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
I thought he did hella better in Episode III....but I can see why some would balk at his acting.
I don't think he was the strongest actor they films ever had, but I'll be honest and say that McDiarmid aside no-one really gave performances that were outstanding.

Of course, I think that was because half the time they were staring at greenscreen instead of having a proper environment to work in and I think some actors can work better in those conditions.

Quote:
I have to say, one thing I liked about Lucas is that he doesn't look for Academy Award winning acting to tell his stories. He just wants folks to help tell his stories....the actors are going to act the way they will act.
I don't think you need Academy Award winning acting for films like the Star Wars flicks, you just need someone who can take potentially cartoon dialogue and give it weight through their delivery.

I always think of Ricardo Montalban in TWOK - iffy dialogue at times but an actor who really believed in the iffy dialogue!!

Or even Ford/Fisher in the original trilogy who both did a little better than Hamill, particularly in the first one. Though I think he improved over the second and third films.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 08-15-2010, 07:20 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post

Apparently, so did Alec Guinness. LOL!
I saw Christensen in "New York I Love you", one of these popular, episodic, interweaving-storylines type of movies which I didn't particularly like because of its 'rich liberal New Yorkers' vibes ... but I am digressing. Anyway, he had a small role in it and played very well.

Indeed, Lucas tells straightforward stories which require straightforward acting. On the other hand it helps to have one from the heavy weight league aboard, be it Guiness or McDiarmid, who plays the old wise (respectively sly in the case of McDiarmid) guy role. Or take Caine in Nolan's Batman movies.
By the way, why do they all come from Britain? They must have some secret breeding facilities for this type of actors over there.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:23 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:

The plot is indeed not distributed very well and that's why Episode III is so much better than I. Then again the beginning of the Clone Wars is a natural end for the second story so you need to skip the childhood of Anakin if you want to change the basic structure.
I think that it is smarter to just show the beginning and the end of the Clone Wars in the movies and use it for the series.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:02 AM
Commander

Has anyone read this?

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/hero...kurtz-wer.html

Old 08-15-2010, 10:23 AM
Federation Councillor

It explains the Ewoks................good article though and probably not without some truth in it at all.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 08-15-2010, 11:11 AM
Commander

I liked how Kurtz thought Jedi would have ended. (Not that his word is necessarily any more reliable than Lucas', however we already know Lucas' facts frequently change, retroactively, to fit the current direction of the franchise)

I have probably a half dozen or so reasons why I didn't much care for the prequels, however they will have to wait another day (work and sleep being a priority). Suffice to say I have real problems with them critically and philosophically.

Old 08-15-2010, 11:15 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwiseb View Post

That was awesome.
I knew this story present in Star Wars didn't have some grand plan to it previously. It was just a haphazard enough to doubt that.