The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > 3 movies total??
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2008, 04:44 PM
Federation Councillor

satrbase, I remember that.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:27 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
That's the thing: I don't think this first TREK film will be 'planned' as a trilogy at all -- granted I have no evidence to prove it at this early stage.

But the fact that the cast is signed on to do three possible films implies nothing about a trilogy of connected stories. A three-film deal is standard, boilerplate contracting by now for lead actors -- but without the first film doing well, a three-picture deal is is nothing more than a legalese "someday" clause so actors can't individually renegotiate their appearances if a sequel gets the green light.
MissionTrek is right here, this is SOP in the biz when the property has potential for more films. Trek fits that bill perfectly, especially in a re-invigoration and with someone like JJ at the helm.

That said, I can again point to SW (now let's don't get all in a snit because I'm using SW as an example again...it's just an example). A New Hope was made in such a way that it stood alone should no more films be greenlit, yet GL did have a trilogy planned (he says he had more, but I don't believe him really). It's easy enough to have more story planned and ready to go and still make the first film what's called a "one-off."

What I was saying was that I'm fairly certain that JJ and O&K already have some pretty clear idea where they will go next with Trek should more films get the go ahead.

I, personally, would love a trilogy, even if the continuing arc is a loose one. I feel continuing storylines tend to make better sequels and overall stories since there is a clear path laid out and a planned escalation making each film feel bigger and more grand and build constantly. It's when Hollywood just makes a sequel, not knowing what to do next, that sequels suck. That's why a lot of filmmakers and writers go into projects like this with ideas for further character growth and story development already in mind.

CE
Old 03-17-2008, 07:32 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Yeah, that's pretty standard for movie franchises like this. Actors are usually signed onto a two or three picture deal just in case sequels are made. Whether any sequels are actually green lighted depends on how well the movie does.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:43 PM
Midshipman

Just think of all the extra money they can make by being able to reuse all the ship sets.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:06 PM

Quote:
That's the thing: I don't think this first TREK film will be 'planned' as a trilogy at all -- granted I have no evidence to prove it at this early stage.

But the fact that the cast is signed on to do three possible films implies nothing about a trilogy of connected stories. A three-film deal is standard, boilerplate contracting by now for lead actors -- but without the first film doing well, a three-picture deal is is nothing more than a legalese "someday" clause so actors can't individually renegotiate their appearances if a sequel gets the green light.
I can't help but remember the American version of "Gozilla", I saw Matthew Broderick (the star of that film) on a talk show saying how excited he was that he was signed to do two sequels, and when the film totally bombed at the box office and critically, the sequels became a non issue and Broderick was left looking for a new project. That's why we really need to get behind this film and support it, if we ever want to see any more of the same.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:14 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berengarius7 View Post
I can't help but remember the American version of "Gozilla", I saw Matthew Broderick (the star of that film) on a talk show saying how excited he was that he was signed to do two sequels, and when the film totally bombed at the box office and critically, the sequels became a non issue and Broderick was left looking for a new project. That's why we really need to get behind this film and support it, if we ever want to see any more of the same.
Ah, well played. That film is the perfect example of a three-picture deal meaning absolutely NOTHING toward actually making sequels.

The only sure thing in show biz is that there's no sure thing.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 03-18-2008, 03:42 AM
Federation Councillor

Well said Mission, well said.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:12 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
The only sure thing in show biz is that there's no sure thing.
Except for Star Wars of course.

Though it helps when you're a billionaire who can afford to make your sequels whatever happens...
Old 03-18-2008, 10:14 AM
Federation Councillor

Lol Ds9 Lol!!
Old 03-18-2008, 10:53 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS9TREK View Post
Except for Star Wars of course.

Though it helps when you're a billionaire who can afford to make your sequels whatever happens...
It's safe to say they have been successes.