The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Minority Report
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2010, 07:21 AM
Rear Admiral

Default Minority Report

I was watching Minority Report last night with my friend and I've got to say it is and was a movie before it's time. I thought the plot was well thought out and I wish the movie came out a little later like perhaps around 2006 or '07. The movie, in my mind, is underrated and I'm not sure how well it did in the box office, but since it was a Spielberg film, I'm not surprised if the sales did well. This is the only film I like Tom Cruise in and I feel the story didn't drag on at all. Max Von Sydow played a character he is good at countless times, a creepy old man and the plot twist at the end he delivers is surprising. If you haven't seen this movie, I suggest you check it out at least once. The ending I felt could have been better, but that's to be expected since most movies always have better beginnings than they do endings.

This was Spielberg's swansong to good directing in my opinion.

J.J. "Binks" Abrams is taking over sci-fi!
Fans Expendable
Old 07-20-2010, 07:29 AM
Federation Councillor

Yeah, it's not a bad film at all. It's an interesting couplet to A:I Artificial Intelligence his other sci-fi film just prior.

It has some issues around the slightly by-the-numbers conspiracy plot and yep, the ending is a cop-out for me (but it's Spielberg and he just can't not bolt on a syrupy ending anymore. Not that I believe he actually wants to these days to be honest) in a couple of ways.

But in it's depiction of the future and as a sci-fi film it's definitely not bad. It has some interesting sci-fi style 'what if?' questions within it. And even if the were not all addressed brilliantly due to the thriller mechanics at play it probably has aged better than would have been expected back in 2002 when it first was released. Though I don't believe it was a flop or anything in terms of box-office revenues vs budget.

Put it this way, I reckon it's aged better than 2004's I, Robot.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 07-20-2010, 07:39 AM
Rear Admiral

Ugh, please don't mention I, Robot. I guarantee you Asimov is spinning in his grave to this day. Phillip K. Dick fairs better. Some of the humorous parts of Minority Report didn't overpower the movie. For example, the scene where he is chasing his eyeballs or where Peter's Stormare's snot comes out of his nose. It doesn't overdo the film and adds a laugh to it.

Fans Expendable
Old 07-20-2010, 07:45 AM
Federation Councillor

Well I, Robot is what happens when you get Akiva Goldsman in to write a movie. Perfectly decent mainstream action but nothing else.

The guy is not a great writer and I have no idea how he's written so many big Hollywood films - not to mention lifted an Oscar a few years back.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 07-20-2010, 10:02 AM
Fleet Admiral

You know what else is crazy? Akiva co-wrote Batman Forever and Batman & Robin...:/

I love Minority Report. IMO, it's Spielberg's last great film as I have yet to see anything since that has topped it. I would like to see A.I. someday, just haven't managed to catch it in it's entirety.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:16 AM
Fleet Admiral

Minority Report was pretty good.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:22 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jla1987 View Post
You know what else is crazy? Akiva co-wrote Batman Forever and Batman & Robin...:/.
Yeah...........but to me that kinda proves my point!

courtesy of Saquist
Old 07-20-2010, 11:06 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Yeah...........but to me that kinda proves my point!
I know. Surprising that anyone could get a job after writing the movies that (almost) killed a franchise.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:16 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jla1987 View Post
You know what else is crazy? Akiva co-wrote Batman Forever and Batman & Robin...:/

I love Minority Report. IMO, it's Spielberg's last great film as I have yet to see anything since that has topped it. I would like to see A.I. someday, just haven't managed to catch it in it's entirety.
A.I. in my opinion, was a complete waste of time. I didn't like it at all and the parts that I did like barely lasted and it just all ended up in a blur. I wasn't a fan and it just dragged on and on for no reason. I mean, if you are watching a movie that surpasses two hours, and you don't realize it because you are so caught up in the movie, that's a good thing. But if you are watching a movie that is endless and endless, that's a bad thing. To be honest, as much as I liked Inception, I did find myself glancing at my watch at times.

Fans Expendable
Old 07-20-2010, 12:16 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quark View Post
A.I. in my opinion, was a complete waste of time. I didn't like it at all and the parts that I did like barely lasted and it just all ended up in a blur. I wasn't a fan and it just dragged on and on for no reason. I mean, if you are watching a movie that surpasses two hours, and you don't realize it because you are so caught up in the movie, that's a good thing. But if you are watching a movie that is endless and endless, that's a bad thing. To be honest, as much as I liked Inception, I did find myself glancing at my watch at times.
I hear ya. From what I've seen of A.I., the visual impress me, but it's hard to connect to the story.

As for Inception, I loved it, but it did drag in that final hour. I thought the same of Dark Knight, whereas I thought Batman Begins drug throughout the whole movie.