The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > What if any messages from the outer galaxy/universe...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2010, 02:55 PM
Commander

Default What if any messages from the outer galaxy/universe...

were being sent on frequencies that would be roughly called "subspace" for the sake of putting a ST term to them.

I was briefly watching "Contact" the other day and thought about the possibility that any "outside" contact was of such that only a really advanced civilization, even beyond our own, would have the technology to detect the "alien" signals. This planet could still be at least decades away from developing a system of communication that would be able to not only detect, but broadcast return signals that may already be bombarding us, from the outer universe at this time.

I suppose that if the signals were arriving at "Faster than Light" speeds with frequencies that we could not detect, research will continue to only record "static" from stars for quite some time.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:58 PM
Fleet Admiral

I've often wondered about that too. It's possible that advanced races use some form of communication far outside our current understanding.

Old 06-25-2010, 02:59 PM
Fleet Admiral

However, those messages probably aren't meant for us either

Old 06-25-2010, 03:12 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tom Coughlin View Post
I've often wondered about that too. It's possible that advanced races use some form of communication far outside our current understanding.
Part of my thinking is that those attempting to receive messages are limiting their thinking to the methods of using symbols, formulas, and the known science of this planet as universal.
Old 06-25-2010, 03:20 PM
Fleet Admiral

They do the best they can with our current levels of technology

Old 06-25-2010, 03:33 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tom Coughlin View Post
They do the best they can with our current levels of technology
True, though the "others" may be using the universal symbol for "friendship" to establish communication.

Depends on how they really feel about us!
Old 06-25-2010, 03:43 PM
Fleet Admiral

If they have faster than light communications of some kind, we would have no way of picking up the signal at all. It would work in a much different way than radio or anything we have. Our scientists wouldn't even begin to know how to go about building a receiver that could pick up a theoretical signal of this kind. We can't really even imagine what that signal would be.

Old 06-25-2010, 03:48 PM
Fleet Admiral

As far as I understand it normal radio signals move at the speed of light so the EM bubble around our planet has a diameter of 50-100 (I am not sure when radio and television did start) lightyears. So it takes some time to reach aliens and perhaps interference might very well destroy out involuntary messages into space.
Aliens who have access to another communication technology, well, they are simply phone on a different line than we do.

Our current understanding of the cosmos implies that "M class" planets might be abundant but lie far apart and given the upper speed limit of light velocity an appropriate image of the distribution of "M class" planets might be scattered Pacific islands, far away from each other.
We also don't know the average lifespan of intelligent life, humans have existed for millions of years but we haven't build great civilisations before the last few millenia and right now there is a small but persisting likelihood that we destroy ourselves.

So I am fairly pessimistic about intelligent life meeting each other, not because I consider it as rare but rather because distances in space and time might be too large.

Last edited by horatio : 06-25-2010 at 03:51 PM.
Old 06-25-2010, 03:55 PM
Fleet Admiral

Very true, communications in any type of convensional sense have almost no value in terms of interstellar distances. And a race that is so advanced that they have overcome those shortcomings probably wouldn't be all that interested in us anyway.

Old 06-25-2010, 03:58 PM
Fleet Admiral

Although, if you could travel thousands of years into our future and look back on our understanding into the nature of the universe today, a lot of what we accept as scientific truth may well be wrong. Technologically, we are infants.