The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Some similarities between Serenity design and Star Fleet design (Enterprise)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2010, 05:50 PM
Commander

Default Some similarities between Serenity design and Star Fleet design (Enterprise)

After getting my mind wound around the series "FireFly", "Serenity" in particular, I noticed more than a passing similarity of the industrial look between the ship "Serenity" and her internal layout pf walkways, ledders, steps, plumbing, and other things vs. a similar type of layout, though on a larger scale of the engineering areas/internals of the "E".

Not a particular pro or con of the design, but was there was a precedent set for "industrial" design/look by "FireFly" and "Serenity" that was a reason for it appearing in ST? Did anyone else ever notice the similarities?

On a lighter observation...
Serenity did not have a nice shiny "brewery" for an engine room, as the Enterprise did: It looked more like a "still" in comparason! I do love the "no frills" look of Serenity though. Tough little ship!
Old 07-12-2010, 10:42 PM
Fleet Admiral

I don't think that the designs have that much in common, the new Enterprise looks industrial whereas the Serenity looks rugged and dirty but not precisely industrial, i.e. not like a real-word factory.
Engineering looked kinda weird in "Firefly" but my memories are faint as I focused more on the engineer than on the set.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:24 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
I don't think that the designs have that much in common, the new Enterprise looks industrial whereas the Serenity looks rugged and dirty but not precisely industrial, i.e. not like a real-word factory.
Engineering looked kinda weird in "Firefly" but my memories are faint as I focused more on the engineer than on the set.
As you say, but there were a lot of similarities between Enterprise STXI engineering sections (more like the Kelvin's) and the main "guts" of Serenity. Neither really what might be called 24th century design by our visions, but yes "rugged" and aged: built like an older brick "out-house" with an emphasis on an iron and steel "look". Even Serenity's kitchen and sleep area sets were dressed 20th-21st century design. Maybe that is part of what I see, just a type of construction that does not really fit the time visually, but is tried and true.

The engineer was quite a "Scotty" in knowledge about a ship and engine she could never get the correct parts for to make Serenity 100%, yet keep running anyway. Though beautiful in it's own way, it could never hold a candle to the engineer!
Old 07-13-2010, 12:15 AM
Fleet Admiral

I think that the stylistic anachronisms of Firefly were intentional and a consequence of the basic idea of the show, it's a Western in the future which is the underlying anachronism and the cause of all the more superficial ones. Unlike Trek it is a conservative show and that's why there was for example this large (wasn't it also wooden?) table in the social room of the ship, a place where the "family" can gather.
In ST09 the basic idea which caused the industrial look of engineering was identification via realism and hyperzoom. You get immediately thrown into the action, you can identify with all the characters, you get wet eyes when George Kirk dies during the birth of his child ... and sets which look familiar and immediately reveal what their purpose it fit well into this immediacy of the movie.
That's why I think that they will look more futuristic if the next movie is more distanced.

You got something similar in Nolan's Batman movies, Gotham City looks conventionally dark and gritty in Batman Begins but in Dark Knight the audience needs to identify with the city which the Joker is about to destroy, so that's why it looks brighter and nicer.

Anyway, I still care more about the engineer than about engineering.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:07 AM
Federation Councillor

To be honest, I didn't get a Firefly vibe from it, if anything I got a vaguely more rebooted Battlestar Galactica feel about some of it.

Which was another show that filmed and designed it's sets in a way that made everything look very real, tangible and perfectly usable. I think Abrams just took it (due to his budget) to the next level and did go to a physical location to make it all work visually.

Sure it's very, very different to the previous look, but I certainly can't lie that I liked the industrial look employed in the film.

Must go back and take a look at Firefly though to see if I see anything though..........apart from Jewel Staite!

courtesy of Saquist
Old 07-13-2010, 10:57 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
To be honest, I didn't get a Firefly vibe from it, if anything I got a vaguely more rebooted Battlestar Galactica feel about some of it.

Must go back and take a look at Firefly though to see if I see anything though..........apart from Jewel Staite!
I didn't get or make a connection either until I was watching "Serenity" on my new "Droid" phone,(Had to test out a movie...). It was then that I "saw" some similar use of sets. Perhaps it was the (open) low-tech use of walkways and ladders, along with the ships "plumbing and electrical": a very simple (for Serenity), yet more elaborate, though still "open" use of backspaces for Kelvin, Enterprise. Kelvin's look was dirtier and more used than Enterprise's fresh off the assembly line look, but in several years may have taken on that dirtier, more gritty appearance, which is just a natural sign of use. Would be bad to think of the "E" having, after many years, a look that had become, through long use, more like the Kelvin's. Would be like any other setting for that type of construction: attention to the minutest details of cleanliness at first, gradually diminishing over time to the encroachment of age. But like Kelvin, Serenity was still a tough ship, though in a lesser state of repair.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:07 AM
Federation Councillor

I have to say, that I really did like this aspect of the film.

Previously in Trek we've always had the spick 'n' span all the time sort of visual ethos (which was an edict going all the way back to 'The Cage' in fact and is perfectly choosable) but as in real life it's the marks left that give people their connection to an object, and the memories that it evokes.

Also, in real life things simply pick up marks, dents, scratched and all that anyway no matter what people do to keep them neat. Everything picks up dents marks and what-not (including people!!) and it's what gives them character.

Like a mark on a piece of furniture, or the cumulative ageing of a family heirloom passed down over the years with stories attached to it. That's why Mal was so drawn to the Serenity in that junkyard after all!

I rather liked that the depiction of the Kelvin showed us she had lived - had had past adventures that left their mark on her, or that just time had passed and that there were stories of her life that we'll likely never know. I kinda hope that as the new Enterprise has her adventures some leave their mark on her that give her a past, a character and a story all her own.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 07-15-2010, 10:08 AM
Fleet Admiral

Kaylee HAWT!!!!!