The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Films > Movies (I - X) > "Of all the souls I have encountered...."
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2008, 03:58 PM
Captain

I think the way how Shatner made Kirk speak the words was great. How he wants to say human but stops for a second and having this look in his eyes that he used to put on when forced to say something that he doesnt dare to say. Thats what made the szene so great in the way:

Spock dead, so what, we hold a speach about comradery and about huma... humanity.

Thats what gives this speach the real touch because by this little "mistake" the eternal debating and all the witty comments that made the triumphirate so much fun to watch seems to go on beyond Spocks death.

So, yes, I think Spock would have thought:

"These illogical annoying emotional humans. Even on my grave they are not able to find clear and true words for proper and exact statements. Their faulty logic is highly... irritating. But also somewhat phaszinating."
Old 03-15-2008, 05:20 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I think that's a pretty good explanation, Botany Bay. Spock would probably have been mildly annoyed but amused at the same time. Of course, Spock would deny both of those emotions.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:32 PM
Admiral

Saquist, I have no memory of Spock addressing that comment in a movie...can you point to a transcript?

I tend to think if Spock watched the recording of the funeral he would have teased Kirk about it, but in a nice way... he would have appreciated the feeling behind it but felt compelled to give an eyebrow lifting "Vulcan" thing....

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 03-15-2008, 10:01 PM
Admiral

Eliza, I think he means the part in Trek VI where Kirk and Spock are sitting in Spock's quarters and talking and Kirk says something to the effect of, 'You know what Spock, everybody's human.' and then Spock responds with, 'I find that remark... insulting'. Nice moment in the movie.

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 03-15-2008, 10:06 PM
Admiral

but, if Spock didn't know that Kirk had made that comment at the funeral, it wouldn't be bad....if he did know, then he just bashed Kirk totally and kissed that friendship goodbye....

Old 03-15-2008, 10:15 PM
Admiral

I don't know if Spock knew about the comment or not, I'd think he would, but in Undiscovered Country, I thought it was just a nice reference back to that moment in Trek 2. I always read it as, 'okay, we understand one another.'

Also there's all the business of getting his friend Spock back. In Trek III Kirk spent the whole movie getting him back physically and then Trek IV they were all struggling to get his mind back and also that trio back, Kirk, Bones and Spock.

I always read that moment in Undiscovered Country as 'he's back, the friendship is solid once more'. It bookended the story line nicely, referencing back to the funeral at that moment.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:30 PM
Admiral

I guess I need to rewatch it.

Old 03-16-2008, 02:44 AM
Captain

I think that the way that Shatner delivered that line was a slap in the face for anyone whoever suggested that his acting was wooden.
Refering to anyone as being the same as you is always a term of endearment. If my American buddies referred to me as an honorary american it would be taken as a term of endearment without me wanting to be american at all.
On the other hand anytime i have suggested to Canadians that they are really Americans in denial i have been lucky to escape so perhaps the answer is not so black and white.
Old 03-16-2008, 03:03 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingston View Post
I don't know if Spock knew about the comment or not, I'd think he would, but in Undiscovered Country, I thought it was just a nice reference back to that moment in Trek 2. I always read it as, 'okay, we understand one another.'

Also there's all the business of getting his friend Spock back. In Trek III Kirk spent the whole movie getting him back physically and then Trek IV they were all struggling to get his mind back and also that trio back, Kirk, Bones and Spock.

I always read that moment in Undiscovered Country as 'he's back, the friendship is solid once more'. It bookended the story line nicely, referencing back to the funeral at that moment.
I think Spock could have looked at the transcript of the arrangement and I'm sure McCoy would have been happy to relate it to him even through deaf ears.

"Logic, logic, logic... Logic is only the begining of wisdom"~Spock.

Spock was known for sarcasm and stoic vulcan sarcasm. Like when he called Bones "Captain McCoy" or told Checkov "Yes Mr. Checkov...a very small joke."

But that's because he was half human. Spock was the perfect balance. Lots of logic and a little bit of humanity.

He was far better than Tuvok who sometimes was just down right condescending to Neelix and I was happy when he pointed that out. I didn't care for Tuvok untill after that episode and his logic seemed more sure.

But even Sarek made a very honest declaration when he said "my logic is uncertain when my sun is concerned...

Did Sarek understand the idea that the Good of the One out weighed the good of many? I think so.

Old 03-16-2008, 02:21 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Fawkes View Post
I think that the way that Shatner delivered that line was a slap in the face for anyone whoever suggested that his acting was wooden.
Refering to anyone as being the same as you is always a term of endearment. If my American buddies referred to me as an honorary american it would be taken as a term of endearment without me wanting to be american at all.
On the other hand anytime i have suggested to Canadians that they are really Americans in denial i have been lucky to escape so perhaps the answer is not so black and white.
Definitely agree with that comment about Shatner's acting. He is underrated and gets a bad rap. That eulogy was extremely moving and delivered beautifully.