The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > If There Is An Eventual TV Series-TOS Universe
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2010, 06:16 AM
Captain

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwiseb View Post
At least CBS has a couple more years to think about it. (I'm still confused. Paramount 'supposedly' loses the film franchise if they let too many years pass with no new ST movie. What happens if CBS decides to go another ten years without producing a series?) But I humbly suspect Star Trek of all flavors will want to remain in a TOS mode for some time, regardless of political or economic affiliation. Maybe a Starfleet Academy series, with new TV actors as Kirk and Spock, would be in order (it wouldn't be my choice, but...)
CBS Studios Inc. owns the Star Trek franchise, so they can wait as long as they want to do a new series...

Instead of a new series set in the 23rd century, what I'd like would be a series on a new ship other than the Enterprise, set in the post-NEM 24th century (but not necessarily post ST:XI) that gets back to the sensibilities, ideas, and premises of TOS...exploration, meeting new races and the benefits/consequences of such, solving problems that are allegorical to present-day situations...in other words, get back to what the original Writer's Guide defined Star Trek to be.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:21 AM
Fleet Admiral

I second that, Trek should be about something that matters again. But if the new movies continue to be successful it might very well be that the folks who produce a new series one day are, despite the interal seperations at Viacom, influenced by this very success and consider FluffyTrek to be the new benchmark.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:29 AM
Captain

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
I second that, Trek should be about something that matters again. But if the new movies continue to be successful it might very well be that the folks who produce a new series one day are, despite the interal seperations at Viacom, influenced by this very success and consider FluffyTrek to be the new benchmark.
I hope not, horatio.

I have a feeling if Orci went to CBS with a new series pitch, they would probably listen, based on his track record outside of Star Trek as well as his part in making millions for Paramount...we understand he had to write the movie the way he did, but in interviews and such he strikes me as a fan who has a pretty good read on the prime universe, and he's even said if he had the chance to do a Trek series he'd more like to produce it and let someone like Manny Coto run it. And season 4 of Enterprise alone showed Coto had a good read on TOS. There could be hope...
Old 05-27-2010, 06:37 AM
Fleet Admiral

It might depend upon how long the TV Trek hiatus endures. If a new series will be done in 5 years or so old-schoolers like Coto (or others folks who are into TOS and set ENT on the right track in its last year like the Reeves-Stevenses or Sussmann) might participate but if it takes longer chances are slimer.

Well, expect the worst, hope for the best.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:25 AM
Commander

Quote:
It might depend upon how long the TV Trek hiatus endures. If a new series will be done in 5 years or so old-schoolers like Coto (or others folks who are into TOS and set ENT on the right track in its last year like the Reeves-Stevenses or Sussmann) might participate but if it takes longer chances are slimer.

I would be afraid that the longer the wait for a new TV series, the more difficult it will be to reintroduce it. There would always be the fans of the original versions of series, but for a new generation the "origin", the essence of Trek might become lost. It might only become an FX driven TV series or "soap opera".

I would still be interested in having the TOS series pick up where it left off: Exploring the galaxy...with some top-notch writing and actors that could make the characters their own, yet still recognizable as Kirk and crew. The last movie did the characters to an effective level without becoming stereotyped as being a caricature of the original. "Bones", he was great at stepping into the role. He WAS "Bones" without trying to literally copy the role. "Kirk" had flashes of Shatner, but the role was his to make. "Spock" still needed to remain more Vulcan-ish, not necessarily a "Nimoy", but that character conflict is part of what drove the Kirk-Spock-McCoy development.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:31 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwiseb View Post
I had the interesting experience last week of being asked about Star Trek (what series/movies there were, that sort of thing) by a co-worker who was at most a casual fan, and seemingly only interested in TNG (not in its spin-offs, and most definitely not in the original series). Aside from wondering where this person was when the movie came out last year, it felt like I had time-warped back to the 90s to be having this discussion.

That said, it's difficult for me to imagine yet another series based around a "different ship, different crew" approach. I feel like that was a trend that died with Enterprise in 2005, and that even when it yielded semi-positive results (DS9) the studio still wanted to reel it in and keep it safe. The very thought of being bombarded by articles announcing the makeup of another crew (hey kids, this time we have a captain representing X minority group, an alien with Y type of new forehead, a character fascinated with studying the 'human equation' for Z reason) makes me feel bored with anticipation.
This I think, is the problem - how do you either break the vicious circle of predictability (there's a strong argument that Star Trek is completely trapped in the ship/crew never ending cycle - and even DS9 ended up with a ship despite starting with a different proposition) or at the very least freshen it up so the predicability doesn't get noticed quite so much.

However it's a cycle that fans as well as the makers are part of propagating. It seems that Star Trek is ironically stuck in a little box that limits what can be considered.

Quote:
At least CBS has a couple more years to think about it. (I'm still confused. Paramount 'supposedly' loses the film franchise if they let too many years pass with no new ST movie. What happens if CBS decides to go another ten years without producing a series?) But I humbly suspect Star Trek of all flavors will want to remain in a TOS mode for some time, regardless of political or economic affiliation. Maybe a Starfleet Academy series, with new TV actors as Kirk and Spock, would be in order (it wouldn't be my choice, but...)
I don't quite get Hollywood legalistics either, all I keep in mind is that's the basics of it!

Quote:
And anyway, it's not like you need a time travel premise every time you want to reboot. I think TV audiences are more used to reboots anyway. How many times has Superman been rebooted? I'm also fairly certain every new movie/series is going to want to be able to advertise itself as being 'the' place for uninitiated viewers to start.
I don't think a new series would have to any kind of explanation anyway myself.

Just do a new BSG and start wherever you want to start.

courtesy of Saquist

Last edited by kevin : 05-27-2010 at 10:37 AM.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:34 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:

Whatever series emerges, whatever timeline and whomever is running it, I think it's certainly still a few years away.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 08-07-2010, 10:30 AM
Midshipman

Hey guys! I'm just as interested in seeing a new series come to fruition as you all are, but I honestly don't understand the hang-up with TOS. Let's face it. With the success of the new film (which I feel was fantastic, and a Trek film I wish was made long ago), Trek has been re-established with a new vision and one that is very relevant for today's audience. Not only did it do a great job with the characterization by capturing the essence of the original crew and reintroduced them and their backgrounds, but it finally brought some much needed action to the entire Trek universe. Sure it was based upon TOS, but for this brand to survive it needs to evolve. To think that CBS will ever go back to the old look and feel is nonsense. It was the end of the '60's and audiences were much more timid. We're now in an age of dramatic cultural shifts, terrorism, new media, and on and on and the new consumer demands something new every time they turn on their television, surf the internet or look at their smart phone.
Simply put, there's no going back. The new movie didn't go back, it made new. If there ever will be a new series, it will have to make new as well. There was mention in this thread of a Starfleet Academy. This sounds interesting to me. I could see this avenue attracting a younger audience as well, as new recruits within The Federation would face new and unknown challenges much like graduates from high school or university face attempting to start a new life. What I really enjoyed about TNG was the cultural mirror it provided, making the show more relevant to a larger audience.
For Star Trek to continue it must evolve, attract a younger audience, be technologically advanced, be culturally relevant and exciting yet stay true to its core fanbase. As far as I'm concerned, that means a whole new Trek that no Trek has gone before.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:13 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyD View Post
It was the end of the '60's and audiences were much more timid. We're now in an age of dramatic cultural shifts, terrorism, new media, and on and on and the new consumer demands something new every time they turn on their television, surf the internet or look at their smart phone.
If you knew the late 60's then you would know and understand that "the times (also then) were a'changin'." There were riots, war demonstrations, ecology movements, terrorists: all too common plane hijackings, and fighting in the middle East. Among developing fresh technologies...Satellite relay of communications (wow), and a transferring idiom of advertising and consumerism from the "Nuclear" family to those geared to individual tastes.
Things are always changing, but stay so much the same!

But part of what made TOS so important was the fact that it addressed the "after" of all that, the "what could any person, even as an individual, do if they could start putting all that behind them. It managed to show some of the fallacy of those then, and now current times, being so wasteful. It offered its viewers a hopeful, positive view of the future. Not perfect, but without many of the hangups that are still entrenched among peoples. The science fiction and futuristic settings were a bonus that got many people to watch and later to "think" about the story lines.
Those same story lines, presented in a contemporary setting, may never have made it to the airwaves.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:23 AM
Fleet Admiral

Trek should to dare to be political again, simple as that. Of course TOS has always been about the characters but when McCoy utters his opinion about the Genesis project in TWOK he is a public person, not some teenage angst NuSpock or NuKirk.
And let's please get rid of this "space is disease and danger" atmosphere, it is the very antithesis to "space, the final frontier ...".

Let's hope that Abrams and his popish bunch get Trek into the right track and in case they don't which I expect the next series better be good Trek which deals with important topics. But then again with pop crap you can make more money.
OK, I stop b*tching now.

Last edited by horatio : 08-07-2010 at 11:27 AM.