The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > If There Is An Eventual TV Series-TOS Universe
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2010, 10:25 PM
Commander

Default If There Is An Eventual TV Series-TOS Universe

A Couple of questions:
What is the likely-hood of a TOS TV series returning? If it returns, will there have to be "another" introduction of the crew?

I was just thinking that in the original series debut, we got little or no background information as to the character types, yet it did not take long to pick up on them. I consider the acting in the original series pivotal to the characters becoming "fleshed out" before our eyes within a couple of episodes. Heck, the first episode I saw, "Tomorrow is Yesterday" had me from first glimpse. The characters were believable and as real as TV could allow for the time.

Aside from a probable re-tooling, but not too much, (they could technically have a "minor" refit/upgrade written in as a two-part reintegration to TV) of the "E", the series, with the right people for the parts, could just about pickup from where they left off in the 60's. They still had a couple of years of the "5-year" mission to finish. (But please...no more "Spock's Brain" episodes!
Old 05-26-2010, 07:57 AM
Federation Councillor

It's possible.

There are a multitude of options for another TV series depending on who would produce it.

CBS has the television rights at present. But then they can't (I believe that's still the case) use the Abramsverse as it belongs to Paramount.

But they could do a 'third' reboot and start it all over again on their own.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-26-2010, 08:32 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
It's possible.

There are a multitude of options for another TV series depending on who would produce it.

CBS has the television rights at present. But then they can't (I believe that's still the case) use the Abramsverse as it belongs to Paramount.

But they could do a 'third' reboot and start it all over again on their own.
I would hope that "THAT" doesn't happen...another "reboot". It would almost be like overdoing the time travel option.

"This week on Star Trek" : Kirk and company are once again replaced by an entire crew with the same names, but different personalities... (yada, yada, yada!)

I would prefer that if the TV series returns, it would pretty much pick up where TOS ended: still on the original 5 year mission. The older "E" could receive intermediate "mods" for the series that would make an intermediate translation to TOS-Movie "E". (Bridge with an update, (nacelles update?) Perhaps as a result of damage during exploration or battle.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:59 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I agree with futureguy; consistency is key to a successful tv venture.

Trouble is, how could you afford to have all those (mostly movie) actors do a weekly series? It would be expensive beyond belief, right?
Old 05-26-2010, 09:43 PM
Fleet Admiral

The movie actors won't work in a TV series and a third version of the original characters is virtually impossible, at least in the near future.
But I wouldn't mind to see a series set in the 23rd century, perhaps even with some retro designs and more importantly, I say this as a TNG fan, a retro spirit: non-corporeal and silicon-based lifeforms instead of humanoids with bumpy foreheads, more unexplored and unpopulated space with more of an explorer spirit (this kind of stuff got pretty much lost after TNG's second season), less idealistic- and more realistic-utopian stuff * la Devil in the Dark of Journey to Babel.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:49 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
The movie actors won't work in a TV series and a third version of the original characters is virtually impossible, at least in the near future.
But I wouldn't mind to see a series set in the 23rd century, perhaps even with some retro designs and more importantly, I say this as a TNG fan, a retro spirit: non-corporeal and silicon-based lifeforms instead of humanoids with bumpy foreheads, more unexplored and unpopulated space with more of an explorer spirit (this kind of stuff got pretty much lost after TNG's second season), less idealistic- and more realistic-utopian stuff * la Devil in the Dark of Journey to Babel.

Cool Image!
Yea, I kinda agree about a third version of the crew. What I would have to really dislike is if they would have to go through an "introduction" AGAIN, only this time in the TOS Universe. The original series did just fine without an extensive and distracting time just to introduce the crew: I feel that most everyone came up to speed with the original quickly enough. I feel that their (character) acting...Shatner's included, told more about who "they" were than a forced and convoluted introduction to their backgrounds. Actually NOT knowing too much up front about the characters in TOS made them more flexible and allowed for a more gradual and endearing appreciation for the crew and other characters.
I would like to see more "Science Fiction-Science Fact" in a new series. Yes there were "new" technologies in TOS that happened more quickly than many could have guessed, but we were able to look back and say ,"I saw that (idea) on Star Trek!" The ideas/technologies may not have been born on TOS, but they found a fertile ground to take root.
As for Aliens, they do not necessarily have to be immediately "seen". Look at TNG episodes leading up to that episode where that "thing" took over the Admiral's aid and then the Admiral and several Star Fleet officials before being "discovered". Though the Borg were more quickly revealed, that cube spoke volumes of them being "Bad-A(**) before they were seen. They were generally a BA group of opponents for a while!

Just a thought on a few things. But I like where you see the series going...if it happens.

Last edited by Futureguy : 05-26-2010 at 10:53 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:58 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign James T. Kirk View Post
I agree with futureguy; consistency is key to a successful tv venture.

Trouble is, how could you afford to have all those (mostly movie) actors do a weekly series? It would be expensive beyond belief, right?
You can't - which is why that option is probably the least likely on the table.

Therefore if we were to go back to the 23rd Century (whether it be in the Prime Timeline or the Alternate) we would be looking at either a third recasting of Kirk, Spock etc or (and this is probably more likely anyway) a new crew on a ship in that period.

Now, visually (to make it consistent with the newest film) it would be easier to set a new series in the alternate even though in storytelling it's about even stevens with possibility.

Setting it in the 23rd Century in the Prime would only really work visually if you used post TMP styles - easier to match on a new set - because getting a TOS specific match is going to be equally as hard (think back to the problems ENT had on that aspect of the show's look) and there's IMHO just only so far 'upgrades' can be swallowed by everyone watching as a reason to slowly convert the ship from appearance A to appearance B.

That barely worked in the movies as it is due to the sheer frequency of them!

That said, I still have less problem which timeline a series is set in and instead am hoping whoever does it simply can craft a good series. That, to me, is more important than which Trek era or timeline it takes place in.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-27-2010, 03:37 AM
Commander

I had the interesting experience last week of being asked about Star Trek (what series/movies there were, that sort of thing) by a co-worker who was at most a casual fan, and seemingly only interested in TNG (not in its spin-offs, and most definitely not in the original series). Aside from wondering where this person was when the movie came out last year, it felt like I had time-warped back to the 90s to be having this discussion.

That said, it's difficult for me to imagine yet another series based around a "different ship, different crew" approach. I feel like that was a trend that died with Enterprise in 2005, and that even when it yielded semi-positive results (DS9) the studio still wanted to reel it in and keep it safe. The very thought of being bombarded by articles announcing the makeup of another crew (hey kids, this time we have a captain representing X minority group, an alien with Y type of new forehead, a character fascinated with studying the 'human equation' for Z reason) makes me feel bored with anticipation.

At least CBS has a couple more years to think about it. (I'm still confused. Paramount 'supposedly' loses the film franchise if they let too many years pass with no new ST movie. What happens if CBS decides to go another ten years without producing a series?) But I humbly suspect Star Trek of all flavors will want to remain in a TOS mode for some time, regardless of political or economic affiliation. Maybe a Starfleet Academy series, with new TV actors as Kirk and Spock, would be in order (it wouldn't be my choice, but...)

And anyway, it's not like you need a time travel premise every time you want to reboot. I think TV audiences are more used to reboots anyway. How many times has Superman been rebooted? I'm also fairly certain every new movie/series is going to want to be able to advertise itself as being 'the' place for uninitiated viewers to start.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:40 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
That said, I still have less problem which timeline a series is set in and instead am hoping whoever does it simply can craft a good series. That, to me, is more important than which Trek era or timeline it takes place in.

Old 05-27-2010, 04:25 AM
Fleet Admiral

I share your preference for a show not set on a starship but DS9 showed the limitations of a stationary setting. Once the Defiant came into the show that problem was fixed and the show became more flexible. This very mixed setting of DS9, i.e. on the road and in one place for some time, would have benefited VOY (e.g. "Basics" prolonged) or ENT (Berman's idea of season One set on Earth) and I think that it might also benefit a new show.
But what shall it be, another space station set in the border regions like DS9? Sounds repetivie as well so how about a sliught modification, a ship mainly cruises around in a dangerous border region full of new colonies and stops here or there from time to time? Not to sure about this either as it lacks the explorer spirit.
While it's great to see a new version of the classic characters, I don't see the appeal of rebooting TOS ad infinitum. That's playing in an even smaller box than the new starship formula.

Given the studio's risk aversion and Trek's motto of exploring strange new worls and boldly going where no one has gone before another series set on a starship is most likely in my opinion. As long as it versatile, visits space stations and colonies and meets cargo ships (yeah, ENT did it right) and pirates from time to time and above all features good scripts the series will be fine like all its five predecessors.

Last edited by horatio : 05-27-2010 at 04:30 AM.