The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Films > Movies (I - X) > No security at Khitomer?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2010, 07:39 PM
Commander

Default No security at Khitomer?

I just Star Trek VI again and it occured to me that when the Enterprise arrived at Khitomer there was not a single other ship in orbit.

You'd figure what with a high profile diplomatic conference going on (even a secret one) there would be a few starfleet and a few klingon vessels around to provide some kind of security,

but no not a single ship not so much as a shuttlecraft. Makes you wonder how the hell all those delegations got there in the first place. Hell if Chang had wanted to he could have just torpedoed the conference site from orbit rather than orchestrating an elaborate assasination plot.

I know they had to do it that way for the sake of the climactic battle between the Enterprise, eEcelsior and the prototype BOP but realistically they could have had at least one other ship already there.

(Yes I am aware that episodes of TNG dealing with the Khitomer masacre mention planetary defenses and codes for said defenses, but it didn't seem like there were any in place in Star Trek VI, or that there was even a colony there)

-Free Enterprise
Old 05-25-2010, 08:02 PM
Admiral

Its only my opinion but… alas special effects cost money!

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 05-25-2010, 08:04 PM
Fleet Admiral

The dramatic reason for the lack of defenses around Khitomer is obvious so we search for an in-universe explanation.

TUC implies that the planet is near the Klingon-Federation border and the Khitomer massacre implies that the planet is near the Klingon-Romulan border, so it is located between the three superpowers.
This suggests a high military presence in this dangerous border triangle but let's not forget the conspiracy. If memory serves Azetbur relocated the conference from Earth to the neutral Khitomer and she was not involved ... yet high-ranking Starfleet and Klingon military folks were plus the Romulan ambassador and they could have easily reduced the military presence in the region or idly stood by while Chang approaches.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:43 PM
Commander

yes it did occur to me shortly after posting this that both General Chang and Admiral Cartwright could have had a hand in reducing the defenses around Khitomer in preparation for Chang's arrival, relocating ships to other sectors and so on, it just seems odd, but I supose not imposible.

-Free Enterprise
Old 05-25-2010, 09:58 PM
Federation Councillor

I wouldn't worry about it too much.

It's one of many aspects of a Star Trek film that perhaps doesn't bear a high level of scrutiny because as soon as you give it some - you need to start breaking out the sticky tape to shore it up!

Maybe the last minute location change was a factor, maybe the fact that it was intended to be secret meant that they were keeping highly visible defences to a minimum in order to actually not draw attention to what was happening on the surface of the planet.

Maybe Chang/Cartwright had a part to play in deciding that or ensuring that there was no major ship presence. Maybe not. I'm still not entirely sure how it was that Sulu and the Excelsior knew where the 'top secret' conference was being held when they had no part to play in it anyway.

It doesn't matter much - none of it was suggested in the script anyway so probably best to just go with the flow on it!

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-27-2010, 08:48 AM
Captain

Cool

Or maybe, since the conference was supposed to be "secret" they didn't want a lot of military vessels hanging around to attract interest.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:15 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbase63 View Post
Or maybe, since the conference was supposed to be "secret" they didn't want a lot of military vessels hanging around to attract interest.
I would tend to go with that theory. Make it look like nothing special is going on. Don't want the Gorn, Tholians, or one of the other superpowers to show up and disrupt the conference!
Old 05-27-2010, 08:03 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
Its only my opinion but… alas special effects cost money!
yup so much money that They used the same BOP shots from ST6 in ST7. Thats really cheap.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:11 AM
Fleet Admiral

And people notice it when they see them in a row

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 05-28-2010, 05:41 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagaditH View Post
yup so much money that They used the same BOP shots from ST6 in ST7. Thats really cheap.
Even when I was a little first grader I was perplexed by how cheap that was...