The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Licence to Kill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2010, 08:10 AM
Rear Admiral

Exclamation Licence to Kill

Has anyone seen this movie? Some people consider it to be the darkest of the James Bond films, in addition to it not even having the feel of a Bond film. Some people say that it's more like a Miami-Vice meets Bond movie. The only British actor in the film is really James Bond played by Timothy Dalton. Honestly, I think it is probably the most underrated James Bond film of them all. It was the first PG-13 rated film and it was also Dalton's last Bond movie before the torch was passed onto Pierce Brosnan in 1995. Dalton was planning on doing another film, but the legal problems MGM had with Eon Productions caused a 6 year delay from 1989 to 1995, at which time Dalton gave up the role.

This story deals with the Columbian drug cartel and doesn't have anything to do with world domination like the other movies. This is a much more down-to-earth James Bond movie. Some people think that is why it wasn't that good, because it was too realistic and there wasn't really any fantasy to it. Anyway, I recommend you guys check it out and let me know what you think of it.

J.J. "Binks" Abrams is taking over sci-fi!
Fans Expendable
Old 05-08-2010, 08:43 AM
Federation Councillor

Yeah, I agree it's not too bad. I always felt Dalton was a little underrated in his two outings because he never had a any of the stronger scripts to work with in the films he made.

But I do think it was in some ways a botched attempt to make a Bond film that was maybe a little more tailored to the US audience (Columbian Drug Cartels and the film essentially being a revenge mission of a personal nature rather than dealing with the usual kind of villain) and even the way it was filmed (slow-mo action shots in the opening sequence etc) and almost all set in the US or Mexico.

I think on a basic level the grittier nature of it was fine, but the attempt to make it more American I think backfired a little bit.

However, it also features a very young Benicio Del Toro as one of the Columbian henchmen way before The Usual Suspects and also David Hedison at least returned as Felix Leiter from his last appearance way back in the 70s.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-08-2010, 09:00 AM
Rear Admiral

Yeah, I think it did try a little too hard to garner to the U.S. audience. I guess in 1989 it was a year of big movies that I guess Bond had to compete with: Star Trek V, Batman, Honey, I Shrunk the Kids, The Abyss, Ghostbusters II. I also heard that Licence to Kill was the first Bond movie to come out during the summer time. This one was still good in my view, but I just hoped the advertising campaign was better. The name for the film was originally Licence Revoked, but a poll that MGM ran showed that the majority of the U.S. didn't know what Revoked meant, and the ones that did thought it was referring to traffic laws. But yeah, Licence to Kill became the name.

Fans Expendable
Old 05-08-2010, 09:14 AM
Federation Councillor

True - when you think about it License to Kill is kind of a generic Steven Seagal, Jean Claude Van-Damme title really.

And I guess overall the movie isn't very different from the types of films that you would expect to find with a title like that. That separates it a little from the normal Bond film as well. Probably if not for Dalton himself it would be on the lower end of the pile.

Although I guess audiences must have educated themselves a bit in the inbetween since Quantum of Solace kept it's title intact!

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-08-2010, 09:25 AM
Rear Admiral

Yeah, when I heard that title I was like...Quantum of what? lol

Fans Expendable
Old 05-08-2010, 02:53 PM
Admiral

Timothy Dalton was actually approached for role of Bond in "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" after Connery departed. Dalton considered himself too young for the role.
I considered Dalton to be one of the best Bonds and rate him second to Connery with Craig coming in third.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 05-08-2010, 08:40 PM
Fleet Admiral

I've only caught bits & pieces of the Dalton outings. Guess they'll have to go on my Netflix queue! Heck, I haven't even seen Quantum of Solace yet...
Old 05-10-2010, 01:42 PM
Fleet Admiral

I too always enjoyed Dalton as Bond. He brought a sort of humanity to an otherwise cool and cold character. Something I'm glad to see Daniel Craig bring to Bond in the recent movies.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:35 AM
Rear Admiral

Yeah, Dalton was certainly a Bond before his time. Pierce Brosnan is my favorite James Bond, and I think he would have been a good predecessor to Dalton's Bond...if Dalton was younger than Brosnan of course. Brosnan was more of a link between Moore and Connery with a twist of his own.

I think the reason people weren't big fans of Dalton, was because he was way too serious and a big contrast to Moore, who had been Bond for 12 years prior with seven movies. However, if Dalton was Bond today, he would be just as popular as Daniel. But you're right martok, Craig certainly does bring back the Dalton touch with his movies at times.

Fans Expendable
Old 05-12-2010, 10:19 AM
Federation Councillor

I'm not really a Craig fan I have to say, but then I'm not overly impressed with the reboot of that franchise yet either. I'd probably still put Dalton a trifle ahead between them.

I'm not sure when Bond 23 will arrive but I hope it pulls it's socks up a bit.

courtesy of Saquist