The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Christopher Nolan's third Batman date confirmed.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2010, 11:33 AM
Federation Councillor

Default Christopher Nolan's third Batman date confirmed.

http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=2747&p=.htm

Just hope they keep the quality up for the third installment!! Although his involvement has still to be confirmed it's unlikely I reckon Nolan won't be directing.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 04-30-2010, 12:05 PM
Fleet Admiral

I think he will direct. It's really tragic that Ledger is gone. I really wanted to see that character again. RIP Heath.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:06 PM
Fleet Admiral

what's the name?

Old 04-30-2010, 12:09 PM
Federation Councillor

At the moment it's simply called Batman 3 but of course, it's very possible that will alter by the time of release.

The script is still under development.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-02-2010, 07:39 AM
Fleet Admiral

I wonder if they will put the word Batman back in the title?
Old 05-02-2010, 07:54 AM
Federation Councillor

They might, but I don't think it's a pre-requisite. It didn't hurt The Dark Knight and Nolan I think once said he didn't use the word 'Batman' because he wanted to create a clearly different film series than the previous films.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-02-2010, 08:11 AM
Fleet Admiral

Now, it appears that WB/DC are attempting to copy Marvel's current formula...

http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option...ures&Itemid=73

I just can't picture the Nolan Batman fitting in with the Justice League...
Old 05-02-2010, 08:39 AM
Federation Councillor

Yeah, now I'm not really a comic-book afficionado - I just work with the various movie adaptions and then maybe do a little digging around afterwards - so feel free to correct me here if I get anything wrong......

.....but it seems to me there's been a lack of coherence on the part of DC.

Marvel put The Avengers plan into effect quite deliberately and planned their pre-Avengers movies accordingly. If I understand correctly in 2008 this is why Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk set the ball rolling (and their attendant mini-scenes during the final credits that link into the other films and establish both that these films are all taking place in a coherent single reality and also establish S.H.I.E.L.D etc). Iron Man 2 continues this (with another end credits scene that ties into one of next years films as well) and it's why Sam Jackson signed a deal for 9 films with Marvel back at the start of all this.

So even though some of the various characters have their own independent franchises (Iron Man, for example though I think the low box-office of The Incredible Hulk seems to have stalled that franchise again) they were all designed to connect with each other and work out in the long run.

i.e Planning, which leads to consistency.

This brings me on to my actual point - which is consistent tonality.

The Avengers pre-movies can all be filmed in advance and have similar styles and takes so that when The Avengers film itself comes out it won't be jarringly odd or weird to see these other characters in one single film.

Which (finally, I bet you're thinking!) is the problem with Batman. Nolan took the franchise in a specifically dark direction which as he said, he didn't intend to have interconnecting with any other characters from the DC world - even though Justice League already existed and I believe had been roughly mooted for a while. It's also the problem with Singer's Superman. They were all made to be the sole superhero in their universes.

So they have inconsistent (with each other I mean) styles that don't match.

Now they can fix that with the Superman Reboot (especially if they use Nolan for concepts) and maybe tie it in with Green Lantern and other characters, but I doubt that Green Lantern will be getting made with the darker vision that Nolan brough to Batman.

And it's probably going to be harder to 'lighten him up' now for any JL movie that they may now want to make because I don't believe it would be intended to be as dark as Nolan has gone with Batman.

Because they didn't plan it far enough ahead!

Now, they are seeing (I imagine) The Avengers project starting to come together nicely and have realised too late they could have done the same thing with their own comic book properties.

courtesy of Saquist

Last edited by kevin : 05-02-2010 at 08:44 AM.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:35 AM
Fleet Admiral

I think you got it 100% right Kevin!

There's one thing about Marvel that puzzles me...Will any X-Men movies ever connect to the film universe? Surely, Hugh Jackman would love to make an appearance in some upcoming Marvel film! Of course, X-Men 3 pretty much killed anything going forward in that series, hence the First Class prequel and Wolverine movies. In that case, I suppose it doesn't matter what happened in those movies.

Also, the Spider-Man and X-Men movies certainly didn't fit together (but now those Spider-Man movies are retconned anyway).
Old 05-02-2010, 12:11 PM
Federation Councillor

I think The X-Men universe is interestingly big enough and has enough characters and stories to stay within it's own borders and be a universe of it's own.

I mean, we've had the first X-Men trilogy, there's the Wolverine series (irrespective of whether X-Men Origins: Wolverine should have gotten a sequel or not, it's getting one which will keep Jackman happy because he now has a solo franchise that will sink or swim on his back) plus the First Class film planned - which will no doubt have it's own sequels, plus rumours of more Origins movies planned - Magneto etc.

I think The X-Men universe is big enough for itself without making it exist alongside any other Marvel characters.

That said, I would normally presume that each comic group's characters would technically exist within the same 'universe' anyway, so if they did then I suppose it would be possible.

I think they'll keep X-Men and The Avengers separate.

courtesy of Saquist