The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Tobacco Commercial
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2010, 11:04 AM
Commander

"Would you like a shmoke und a pancake? You know, a flapjack und a shigarette? No? Shigar und a waffle? No? Pipe und a crepe? No? Bong und a blintz? No? Well, then there ish no pleashing you."
Old 05-13-2010, 03:13 PM
Fleet Admiral

Lemme guess...the commercial was from truth.com right?

I don't smoke, but I don't raise a fuss about smokers either....and hell, I'm a singer.

Another extreme that anti-smoking lobbyists are pushing for: Any Hollywood movie that has smoking in it, they want the movie to have an automatic R rating. That's what they're pushing for, among other things.

Has anyone seen the movie "Thank You For Smoking"? It's a pretty good movie, and it even has an incident in it where some anti-smoking terrorists impose their will (by mortal endangerment) on the movie's main character, a cigarette PR guy. They drag this guy into their van, strip off his shirt, and place nicotine patches all over his body. I don't know if that's ever happened in real-life, but if it did, such folk need to be taken out in public square and shot in the back of the head.

Old 05-13-2010, 03:19 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
such folk need to be taken out in public square and shot in the back of the head.
Your luck the admins are gone.

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 05-14-2010, 01:35 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
Your luck the admins are gone.
Dwats!

Old 05-14-2010, 09:15 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
Lemme guess...the commercial was from truth.com right?

I don't smoke, but I don't raise a fuss about smokers either....and hell, I'm a singer.

Another extreme that anti-smoking lobbyists are pushing for: Any Hollywood movie that has smoking in it, they want the movie to have an automatic R rating. That's what they're pushing for, among other things.

Has anyone seen the movie "Thank You For Smoking"? It's a pretty good movie, and it even has an incident in it where some anti-smoking terrorists impose their will (by mortal endangerment) on the movie's main character, a cigarette PR guy. They drag this guy into their van, strip off his shirt, and place nicotine patches all over his body. I don't know if that's ever happened in real-life, but if it did, such folk need to be taken out in public square and shot in the back of the head.
In Ontario, Canada smoking in public buildings has been banned for many years now. I don't even think about it anymore when I go to a bar because I don't have to. When I went to visit a friend of mine in Muncie, Indiana we went out to a bar that allowed smoking inside and all the reasons I don't like going to places that allow smoking indoors came wafting at me literally. As a non smoker I support banning smoking in public buildings. I have heard though that some lobbyists want to extend the law to all indoor buildings so smokers have to go outside even in their own homes. As long as there aren't children in the home and all the adults living there are ok with the smoke I don't see the problem. I've also heard ideas of banning smoking on public streets. In my opinion these measures are extreme and I'm not a fan of extremists of any kind. I haven't heard about the movie rating you mentioned above but I would put that in the extreme category as well. I have seen "Thank You For Smoking" and I thought it was a great film. I don't support what the anti-smoking terrorist did to Nick Naylor but I wouldn't support executing them. I would have them charged with attempted murder though and prison time would be appropriate.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:37 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enterprise Captain View Post
In Ontario, Canada smoking in public buildings has been banned for many years now. I don't even think about it anymore when I go to a bar because I don't have to. When I went to visit a friend of mine in Muncie, Indiana we went out to a bar that allowed smoking inside and all the reasons I don't like going to places that allow smoking indoors came wafting at me literally. As a non smoker I support banning smoking in public buildings. I have heard though that some lobbyists want to extend the law to all indoor buildings so smokers have to go outside even in their own homes. As long as there aren't children in the home and all the adults living there are ok with the smoke I don't see the problem. I've also heard ideas of banning smoking on public streets. In my opinion these measures are extreme and I'm not a fan of extremists of any kind. I haven't heard about the movie rating you mentioned above but I would put that in the extreme category as well. I have seen "Thank You For Smoking" and I thought it was a great film. I don't support what the anti-smoking terrorist did to Nick Naylor but I wouldn't support executing them. I would have them charged with attempted murder though and prison time would be appropriate.
Some folks are trying to get the "no smoking indoors" laws passed down here in the Big Easy too, but it'll never fly since New Orleans is a tourist city.

Many of my friends who do smoke and have children are actually responsible enough that if they do decide to smoke at their home, they'll step outside, away from the child. If both a husband and wife smoke, they take their turns so someone is with,or near the child at all times.

As for my notions about what to do with terrorists (eco, or otherwise), well, there's a character I love to quote from the game "Battlefield: Bad Company", "Harsh? Yes, but fair."

Old 05-14-2010, 09:42 AM
Fleet Admiral

I don't know, if all terrorists, i.e. punks and nazis, Islamic, Christian and Jewish fundamentalists and in addition these anti-smoking freaks ... plus hardcore Trekkers who wanna see Berman or Abrams or whoever dead, would be executed very little of humankind might be left over.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:29 AM
Federation Councillor

That is the drawback of everyone being allowed to shoot anyone they feel like.

Still, would also solve the ever-increasing population problems we have looming ahead of us!!

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-14-2010, 11:56 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
That is the drawback of everyone being allowed to shoot anyone they feel like.

Still, would also solve the ever-increasing population problems we have looming ahead of us!!
In other words, if people want to shoot each other then they might as well do it and decrease the surplus population. Humbug.

"Don't confuse facts with reality."
-Robert D. Ballard
Old 05-14-2010, 01:29 PM
Fleet Admiral

And save Earth along the way

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-