The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Battle Damage for the Enterprise?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2008, 12:29 AM
Admiral

Yeah, alot in Trek I think phaser fire was to get attention, a tap on the shoulder so to speak, not always, but it was used that way alot. It's the torpedos that should be feared. Well, that and a Borg cutting beam, that was pretty wicked as well! It seemed to have a method behind it other than just disabling or destroying, it seemed almost surgical. I've often wondered exactly what the Borg would've done to the Enterprise in 'Q Who' if Q hadn't bailed them out.

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 03-16-2008, 01:01 AM
Fleet Admiral

That's how I remember Picard describing it. A tap on the shoulder. A real barrage is something else.

In Q who I'm betting they would have boared and assimilated. They should have done so when they hand the opportunity as it turns out.

Old 03-16-2008, 01:36 AM
Admiral

Probably so, they would've taken the ship and assimilated the crew, it's just strange how they take the ship, 'carving us up like a roast' is how I think Riker put it. Very surgical in their attack.

Torpedo's I think are best when they are really threatening. The words photon torpedo must be to the people of Trek as nuke is to us. Maybe quantum torpedo later in the series.

There's certainly a heavier connotation to the photon torpedo. I remember that TNG episode where the crew are duped into waging a war against a race a hundred years behind them technologically. 'One photon torpedo would've ended their war', one of the main characters say. That's a huge leap in technology in a hundred years.

Yeah I think it's best to keep the phasers as a coercive tool and the photons as something much, much more deadly.

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 03-16-2008, 02:17 AM
Ensign

Spanking new ship or not, I hope they show some *real* battle damage. It's one thing traveling around in a ship that doesn't have a scratch, but it's something completely different to be traveling in a ship full of holes.

I'm biased because one of my favourite scenes is the Xindi carving a hole in the bridge of NX-01 and having the bridge explode and bodies flying out.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:34 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingston View Post
Probably so, they would've taken the ship and assimilated the crew, it's just strange how they take the ship, 'carving us up like a roast' is how I think Riker put it. Very surgical in their attack.

Torpedo's I think are best when they are really threatening. The words photon torpedo must be to the people of Trek as nuke is to us. Maybe quantum torpedo later in the series.

There's certainly a heavier connotation to the photon torpedo. I remember that TNG episode where the crew are duped into waging a war against a race a hundred years behind them technologically. 'One photon torpedo would've ended their war', one of the main characters say. That's a huge leap in technology in a hundred years.

Yeah I think it's best to keep the phasers as a coercive tool and the photons as something much, much more deadly.
Remember that was just sampling. I see them doing the whole ship like that and adding more fuel to the ship....remember..."The ultimate consumer."

Old 03-16-2008, 11:37 PM

Yeah, those were just taps on the shoulder that the Enterprise and Reliant were getting in "The Wrath Of Khan". In that film and Star Trek 6, Phaser fire looked devastating enough to me. If you ask me, TWOK had proper weapon to ship damage. The hull breach that sucked Kirk out of the Enterprise B in "Generations" was also awesome, even though it wasn't done in battle.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:05 AM
Fleet Admiral

we never saw phasers in ST6

Old 03-17-2008, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
we never saw phasers in ST6
O.K., i got the details wrong, sorry. But i stand by my point that Phasers aren't popguns. Theyr'e serious weapons.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:31 AM
Fleet Admiral

I wouldn't say popguns... but I think there not on the same level of torps...

Old 03-17-2008, 02:43 AM
Federation Councillor

Saquist-

There were Phasers, just not the ship ones fired.